Author Topic: Trump hits Obama after Syrian gas attack  (Read 464 times)

Offline corbe

Trump hits Obama after Syrian gas attack
« on: April 04, 2017, 09:17:19 pm »
Trump hits Obama after Syrian gas attack

By Jordan Fabian - 04/04/17 03:55 PM EDT   

President Trump on Tuesday said a deadly gas attack in Syria carried out by forces loyal to Syrian leader Bashar Assad is a “consequence” of former President Obama’s approach to the country’s civil war.

“Today’s chemical attack in Syria against innocent people, including women and children, is reprehensible and cannot be ignored by the civilized world,” Trump said in a statement.

The president faulted his predecessor for helping create the conditions for the attack when he backed away from his 2012 “red line” on Assad’s use of chemical weapons.
“These heinous actions by the Bashar al-Assad regime are a consequence of the past administration’s weakness and irresolution,” Trump said.

Trump criticized Obama’s approach, even though he personally urged his predecessor not to intervene in the Syrian civil war on numerous occasions.

“AGAIN, TO OUR VERY FOOLISH LEADER, DO NOT ATTACK SYRIA - IF YOU DO MANY VERY BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN & FROM THAT FIGHT THE U.S. GETS NOTHING!” he tweeted in September 2013.

“President Obama, do not attack Syria,” he tweeted days later. “There is no upside and tremendous downside. Save your 'powder' for another (and more important) day!”

Trump did not say how the U.S. would respond to the attack, which is considered the worst chemical weapons strike in years in Syria.

The strike, which was carried out in rebel-held area of Idlib Province, killed dozens of people, including children, and injured more.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called on Russia and Iran, both allies of Assad, to discourage him from using chemical weapons on his own people.

“We call upon Russia and Iran, yet again, to exercise their influence over the Syrian regime and to guarantee that this sort of horrific attack never happens again,” Tillerson said in a statement. “Russia and Iran also bear great moral responsibility for these deaths.”

Syrian military forces have denied using chemical weapons in the attack, according to Reuters.

The attack posed a sharp challenge to the Trump administration, which has said it wants to shift its focus away from the civil war and onto the fight against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

Tillerson just days ago said that the “longer term status of President Assad will be decided by the Syrian people."

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/327259-trump-hits-obama-after-syrian-gas-attack

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Trump hits Obama after Syrian gas attack
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 09:19:18 pm »
We should have stayed the hell out of it in the first place.

It would have been brutal but it would have been over by now.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:25:04 pm »
Sorry it happened on Trump's watch.

Also, Obama should have shut his pie hole about the red line

Also, Russia is supporting the Assad regime so tell me why should we trust Russia?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 09:28:27 pm »
So what is Trump going to do about it...besides tweet. :shrug:

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:30:42 pm »

Also where is the UN? I think the UN was setup so stuff like this will never happen again.. Maybe they will send Syria a very angry letter.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:33:09 pm »

What SHOULD he do about it?  I have my opinions.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 12:57:30 am »
As long as what happens in Syria stays in Syria, I don't care. Don't bring them here.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 01:09:03 am »
What SHOULD he do about it?  I have my opinions.

Go in and kick Assad's sorry ass...