Author Topic: More Words to Live By…  (Read 1367 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
More Words to Live By…
« on: April 04, 2017, 02:33:13 pm »
I just love old sayings. This is one of my favorites: If guns are involved, one had better be yours.

Think about this for a minute. These words go right along with what some people call The First Rule of a Gunfight: Have a gun.

Guns, as defined by Massad Ayoob, are nothing more than pieces of emergency life-saving equipment. The one true thing about any piece of emergency life-saving equipment is that you must have it when you need it. The next true thing is that if you have a piece of emergency life-saving equipment, you had better know how to use it.

But I digress. Let’s get back to that old saying at the top of this column. There is no worse feeling in the world than to be helpless. Have you ever been in a car crash as a passenger? The next thing you know, tree branches are whipping past the windows and you just know things are going badly, but there is not a thing you can do about it. And then there is that loud crash as the grille and radiator slam into the telephone pole. From then on you just wait for the ambulance.

Now think about what it might be like to feel that fear in the pit of your stomach, reach for your pistol and find nothing. In that instant, all the complaints you ever had about carrying a concealed pistol will vanish. At that moment, the pistol is not too heavy, the holster is not uncomfortable, and the pain in your butt from sitting on Kydex or leather or some other holster material has vanished. All that is left is the empty feeling and the expletive-laced diatribe going on in your head as you berate yourself for choosing this day to leave your gun at home.

That brings me to another great old saying: You don’t pick the day. The day picks you.

I have made it very clear about when I intend to willingly give up my defensive firearm. When someone can, with 99.9 percent accuracy, predict where and when EVERY violent crime will occur, I will give up my gun. You see, if someone could accurately predict every violent crime, I could avoid those areas where violent crimes would happen and I would not need a gun. Until then, I will have a gun at my side.

There are certainly some people out there saying, “Just don’t go to bad neighborhoods.” Well, that would mean the people who live in bad neighborhoods would need guns even more than I need a gun. I can avoid a bad neighborhood. The residents of a bad neighborhood cannot. It is also true that as long as criminals have the ability to acquire cars, those criminals can go just about anywhere they want. They could even come to where I am! So that would mean my avoidance strategy would be useless!

Thus, I am brought right back to the second sentence of this column: If guns are involved, one had better be yours.

The truth is, I’m not really interested in fighting with a gun, but I absolutely do not want to be forced to fight without one.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/more-words-to-live-by/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: More Words to Live By…
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 11:47:44 pm »
It's always darkest before the dawn.....so if you're going to steal your neahbors newspaper thats the time to do it.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 08:42:32 pm »
Now think about what it might be like to feel that fear in the pit of your stomach, reach for your pistol and find nothing. In that instant, all the complaints you ever had about carrying a concealed pistol will vanish. At that moment, the pistol is not too heavy, the holster is not uncomfortable, and the pain in your butt from sitting on Kydex or leather or some other holster material has vanished. All that is left is the empty feeling and the expletive-laced diatribe going on in your head as you berate yourself for choosing this day to leave your gun at home.

This makes a very good point, a point I have considered very seriously as I have stopped carrying.

I've made my choice.  Every day I don't carry, I'm not able to help out someone in need, whether myself or another.  Yet I have chosen that every day I don't carry is a day I have more life -- less time consumed with preparation, less worry about accidentally going into a gun-free zone (including my place of employment).  It's a gamble.

And I know that if I'm ever in that bad situation, the best I can do is charge and hope to take one bad guy off the street as he ends my life. 

That's my choice.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 08:52:38 pm »
... going into a gun-free zone (including my place of employment)....

That is my problem.  Nearly every single plant is no weapons allowed.  And I have to drive my truck inside the plant.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 01:34:00 am »
That is my problem.  Nearly every single plant is no weapons allowed.  And I have to drive my truck inside the plant.

Yup.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn