Author Topic: Battle Of Shiloh (April 6-7, 1862)  (Read 1040 times)

rangerrebew

Battle Of Shiloh (April 6-7, 1862)
« on: April 04, 2017, 02:12:40 pm »
Battle Of Shiloh

Battle Of Shiloh Summary: The Battle of Shiloh (aka Battle of Pittsburg Landing) was fought on April 6–7, 1862, in southwestern Tennessee not far from Corinth, Mississippi. General Albert Sidney Johnston, commander of Confederate forces in the Western Theater, hoped to defeat Union major general Ulysses S. Grant’s Army of the Tennessee before it could be reinforced by Maj. Gen. Don Carlos Buell’s Army of the Ohio, which was marching from Nashville.

http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-shiloh
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:13:38 pm by rangerrebew »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Battle Of Shiloh (April 6-7, 1862)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 02:49:40 pm »
Thanks for the link and the remembrance.

Great Great Great Grandfather who fell at Shiloh had a great friend who in his wife's widow's pension application gave a 2 page account of his service and the day he died.  While in the 10th AR, he was shot within minutes of General Johnston near the Peach Orchard,a few hundred feet away.  Right smack in the Hornet's Nest.

24,000 dead, injured and missing of 110,000 participants.   

An interesting fact is that Albert Sidney Johnston was the highest ranked officer killed during he entire civil war, including both sides.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:55:19 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 01:15:14 am »
Am traveling right now to Philly and during wife's convention there I plan on visiting Gettysburg.

Got any pointers and/or other memorable stops in Central PA to make of like nature?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 01:08:33 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR   You might enjoy Lancaster and surrounding area. We visited the marketplace there (Central Market? Can't recall name). Several days in Gettysburg might not be enough, though. I recommend visiting the Eisenhower farm while there, in addition to all Civil War sites.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 01:27:21 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR   You might enjoy Lancaster and surrounding area. We visited the marketplace there (Central Market? Can't recall name). Several days in Gettysburg might not be enough, though. I recommend visiting the Eisenhower farm while there, in addition to all Civil War sites.
@mountaineer thx. I in fact am staying downtown Lancaster and have already visited Central Market.

I plan on concentrating on Gettysburg. I am a Southerner and want to see how well the battles are presented.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:28:26 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 01:41:40 pm »
Go to the visitor center, see the exhibits inside, then get the info there on the driving tour and follow it. You can stop along the way, get out, get up close (e.g., Devil's Den). It's all laid out and explained very well, I think you'll find it interesting.

Oh yeah, and visit Appalachian Brewing Co. for lunch.  :beer:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:54:27 pm by mountaineer »

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 11:57:38 pm »
Go to the visitor center, see the exhibits inside, then get the info there on the driving tour and follow it. You can stop along the way, get out, get up close (e.g., Devil's Den). It's all laid out and explained very well, I think you'll find it interesting.

Oh yeah, and visit Appalachian Brewing Co. for lunch.  :beer:
had a great time today, even at 37 deg and 40 mph gusts.

Have never seen a real battlefield displayed like this unbelievable.

I passed up the Appalachian but did have a couple of Smithwicks at the Garryowen.

Thx for tip @mountaineer

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 01:19:49 am »
That's great! We were there one  November day that was as raw as today's weather.  Fortunately,  we were able to return in July,  and can't wait for the next chance to visit.  There's a certain magnificence to the place.