Author Topic: 50 Years of "Star Trek" The original Series - My Sweet 16  (Read 884 times)

Offline Bender2

• Never a dull moment, eh?
50 Years of "Star Trek" The original Series - My Sweet 16
« on: April 02, 2017, 06:09:47 pm »
Nothing like a lingering Sunday martini brunch...    to bring out nostalgia-- 

And this Sunday my mind goes back 50 years...    to watching the original "Star Trek"

And here are my Sweet 16...    Best Episodes:

#16 "A Private Little War"

is the nineteenth episode of the second season of the original science-fiction television series, Star Trek, first broadcast February 2, 1968, and repeated on August 23, 1968. The screenplay was written by Gene Roddenberry, based on a story by Don Ingalls under the pseudonym Jud Crucis, and directed by Marc Daniels. It was intended as an allegory about America's involvement in the Vietnam War.

In this episode, the crew of the Enterprise discovers Klingon interference in the development of a formerly peaceful planet and joins them in what becomes an arms race while Kirk is treated for a Mugato attack by Nancy Kovack as Nona with the cure becoming worse than the bite.

Okay, okay--  My main reason for puting this episode in the Sweet 16 is Nancy Kovack as I can recall watching the series when it was broadcast and thinking:
"Gadzooks-- She is so damn...     hot!"

And after 50 years...  I still still think she is!

#15 "The Squire of Gothos"

is an episode of the original science fiction television series, Star Trek. It was first broadcast by NBC on January 12, 1967, and repeated on June 22, 1967. It is the seventeenth episode of the first season, and was written by Paul Schneider, and directed by Don McDougall.

In this episode, a powerful being, Trelane played by William Campbell, torments the crew of the Enterprise but turns out to be a very, very bad little boy.

Really good plot here with William Campbell realling nailing it as the nesty little boy.

#14 "Journey to Babel"

is the tenth episode of the second season of the original science fiction television series, Star Trek. Written by D. C. Fontana and directed by Joseph Pevney, it was first broadcast on November 17, 1967, and was repeated on July 5, 1968.

In this episode, the Enterprise must transport dignitaries to a peace conference, with an assassin on the loose. It features the first appearance of Sarek (Mark Lenard) and Amanda (Jane Wyatt), parents of First Officer Spock, as well as the first appearance in the series of two other alien species, the Andorians and the Tellarites. Wyatt had been widely known for the 1950s sitcom Father Knows Best, where she played Elinor Donahue's mother. On the previous Star Trek episode, Donahue was the guest actor, playing Commissioner Nancy Hedford, who became Zefram Cochrane's "Companion"

Second of the episodes on Spock's back story following "Amok Time" that openned the Second Season and first of many future appearances by Mark Lenard as Spock's father, Sarek.  Lenard played the doomed Romulan Commander in the First Season's "Balance of Terror"

#13 "The Menagerie"

is a two-part episode of the American science fiction television series, Star Trek. It consists of episodes 11 and 12 (production #16) of the show's first season and is the only two-part story in the original series. Part one of the episode was broadcast on November 17, 1966, with part two broadcast on November 24, 1966. NBC repeated the two shows on May 18 and 25, 1967. The episode was written by Gene Roddenberry. Since the true 1965 pilot episode, "The Cage", was not shown on television until 1988 and the original series began with the second pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before", Desilu (the show's production company) made a decision on what should be done with the wasted footage from the unused pilot movie.

In this two-part episode, Spock (Leonard Nimoy) abducts his severely injured former commander Fleet Captain Christopher Pike (Sean Kenney), locks the Enterprise on a course to the forbidden planet Talos IV, and turns himself in for court-martial where he presents an elaborate story explaining the reason for his actions via flashbacks featuring Jeffrey Hunter as Captain Christopher Pike and Susan Oliver as Vina.

I can recall watching and saying...  "WOW!"

When Vina became the green-skinned...    Orion slave gal dancing for Pike.

#12 "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"

is the fifteenth episode of the third season of the original American science fiction television show, Star Trek. It was first broadcast January 10, 1969, on NBC and repeated August 12, 1969. It was written by Oliver Crawford, based on a story by Gene L. Coon (writing under his pen name "Lee Cronin") and directed by Jud Taylor. The script evolved from an outline by Barry Trivers for a possible first season episode called "A Portrait in Black and White". The script was accepted for the third season following budget cuts. The episode guest-stars Frank Gorshin, best known for his role as The Riddler in the Batman live-action television series.

In this episode, the Enterprise picks up the last two survivors of a war-torn planet, who are still committed to destroying each other aboard the ship: Frank Gorshin as Commissioner Bele & Lou Antonio as Lokai

Still to this day, one of the best plots that ever came down the pike to show how stupid it is to judge people by the color of their skin.

#11 "All Our Yesterdays"

is a third season (and the penultimate) episode of the science fiction television series, Star Trek, first broadcast March 14, 1969, and repeated on August 5, 1969. It is episode #78, production #78, written by Jean Lisette Aroeste, and directed by Marvin Chomsky. It guest-stars Mariette Hartley as Zarabeth. The title comes from a well-known soliloquy given by Macbeth in Act V Scene V.

In this episode, Kirk, Spock and McCoy are trapped in two parts of another planet's past—a world threatened with destruction when its sun goes supernova.

Two things make this one of my favorite episodes:  Ian Wolfe's wonderful take as Mr. Atoz and Spock reverting to his ancestral Vulcan roots for meat eating and the hots for a good looking babe barely covered by an aminal skin.

#10 "This Side of Paradise"

is the twenty-fourth episode of the first season of the original science fiction television series, Star Trek. It was first broadcast on March 2, 1967, and was repeated on August 10, 1967. The episode was written by D. C. Fontana and Jerry Sohl (using the pseudonym Nathan Butler), and directed by Ralph Senensky. The title is taken from the poem "Tiare Tahiti" by Rupert Brooke and the novel "This Side of Paradise" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

In this episode, the USS Enterprise visits a planet where the inhabitants are under the influence of strange plant life where Sock meets an old flame, Leila Kalomi played by Jill Ireland

Again, Spock getting emotions and finding love is dear to my dear old clanking heart--

#9 "Requiem for Methuselah"

is a third season episode of the original science fiction television series, Star Trek, first broadcast on February 14, 1969. Its repeat broadcast, on September 2, 1969, was the last official telecast of the series to air on NBC (Star Trek would immediately debut in syndication on the following Monday, September 8, a full three years after its debut). It is episode No. 74, production No. 76, written by Jerome Bixby and directed by Murray Golden. It guest-stars James Daly as "Mr. Flint", and Louise Sorel as "Rayna Kapec" ("Kapec" is an anagram of Capek, after Karel Čapek, who introduced the term robot).

In this episode, the crew of the Enterprise encounters an immortal human, Flint played by James Daly, and his ward, Rayna Kapec played by Louise Sorel

I must say Louise Sorel was a terrible choice to play Rayna.  She is not attractive enough to cause Kirk to fall madly in love with her.  No way!  Yet this was one of the last episodes of the much maligned Third Season but it is a great plot and James Daly, one of my favorite character actors from the 40s & 50s, was super as Flint.

#8 "Assignment: Earth"

is the last episode of the second season of the American science fiction television series Star Trek. It was first broadcast on March 29, 1968, and initially repeated on August 9, 1968, five months later. It is episode No. 55, production No. 55; it was written by Art Wallace, based on a story by Wallace and Gene Roddenberry, and directed by Marc Daniels.

Engaged in "historical research", the Enterprise time travels to 1968 Earth where they encounter an interstellar agent planning to intervene in 20th century events with motives uncertain to Kirk and Spock. This episode served as a backdoor pilot for a proposed spin-off television series, produced by Roddenberry, also to be called Assignment: Earth. Guest performers Robert Lansing, as Gary Seven, and Teri Garr, as Roberta Lincoln, would have continued in the new series had it been commissioned

Teri Garr, Robert Lansing and his...    "simple' cat had me hooked for at least one season's watching but the series never came to be--

#7 "I, Mudd"

is a second season episode of the original American science fiction television series, Star Trek, first broadcast November 3, 1967, on NBC, and repeated April 5, 1968. It is episode #37, production #41, and was written by Stephen Kandel, based on a story by Gene Roddenberry and directed by Marc Daniels. David Gerrold performed an uncredited rewrite, but little of his material was used.

Set in the 23rd century, the series follows the adventures of Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner) and the crew of the Federation starship Enterprise. In this episode, Captain Kirk has a second run-in with the conman Harry Mudd (Roger C. Carmel). Mudd is now the supreme ruler of a planet of androids who cater to his every whim. (The Enterprise's first encounter with Mudd was in the early Season One episode "Mudd's Women".)

Hundreds and hundreds of...  Alices--  need I say more?

#6 "A Piece of the Action"

is a second season episode of the original science fiction television series, Star Trek first broadcast on January 12, 1968; its repeat on August 30, 1968, was the last episode to air in the 8:30 pm time slot on Friday nights. It is episode #46, production #49, written by David P. Harmon and Gene L. Coon, and directed by James Komack.

In this comedic episode, the Enterprise visits a planet with an Earth-like 1920s gangster culture, with Runyonesque dialog and costumes with Anthony Caruso as Bela Oxmyx

Such an inventive plot with perennial 'bad guy' Tony Caruso in his element and the comic touch makes this a much see episode for any fan.

#5 "Shore Leave"

is a first-season episode of the original science fiction television series, Star Trek. It was first broadcast on December 29, 1966, and repeated on June 8, 1967. It is episode #15, production #17, and was written by science-fiction author Theodore Sturgeon and directed by Robert Sparr. In the episode, the crew of the Enterprise visits a bizarre planet of dangerous illusions.

I can vividly remember watching this and falling madly in love with Emily Banks...  and thinking her addition as regular character Yeoman Tonia Barrows would be really a plus for the series but, alas--  She was just a guest actress for one episode.  She occasionally acted in TV series of the era but that was all.  I think she was a very good actress and Hollywood lost out not making her a star.

#4 "What Are Little Girls Made Of?"

is episode seven of the first season of the science fiction television series, Star Trek. It was first broadcast October 20, 1966, and repeated, two months later, on December 22, the first episode of the series to be repeated on NBC. It was written by Robert Bloch and directed by James Goldstone.  In the plot, Nurse Chapel searches for her long lost fiancé, and uncovers his secret plan for galactic conquest. Michael Strong played Dr. Roger Korby, Ted Cassidy as Ruk and Sherry Jackson as Andrea.

Repeat, Sherry Jackson...  as Andrea, PERIOD!

#3 "Space Seed"

is an episode of the American science fiction television series Star Trek. It is the 22nd episode of the first season and was first broadcast by NBC on February 16, 1967. "Space Seed" was written by Gene L. Coon and Carey Wilber and directed by Marc Daniels. Set in the 23rd century, the series follows the adventures of Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner) and his crew aboard the Starfleet starship USS Enterprise. In this episode, the Enterprise crew encounter a sleeper ship holding selectively bred superpeople from Earth's past. Their leader, Khan Noonien Singh (Ricardo Montalbán), attempts to take control of Enterprise. The episode also guest stars Madlyn Rhue as Lt. Marla McGivers, who becomes romantically involved with Khan.

I'll just... James T. say it--

Khhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...  aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn!

#2 "The Trouble with Tribbles"

is the 44th episode of the American science fiction television series, Star Trek, the 15th episode of the second season. It was first broadcast in the United States on December 29, 1967, on NBC. The episode was the first professional work of writer David Gerrold, and went through a variety of drafts before it reached the screen. Because of an error in the size of typeface, an approved version needed to be reduced by twenty pages before filming. Nichelle Nichols remarked that she had "never seen a script go through so many changes—and stay so much the same". "The Trouble with Tribbles" was directed by Joseph Pevney, who was one of the most prolific directors of the series.

Still cracks me up...  ever time I see it!

#1 "The City on the Edge of Forever"

is the 28th episode of the American science fiction television series Star Trek, and the penultimate episode of the first season. It was first broadcast in the United States on NBC on April 6, 1967. Set in the 23rd century, the series follows the adventures of Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner) and his crew aboard the Starfleet starship USS Enterprise. In this episode, after Doctor Leonard McCoy (DeForest Kelley) travels back in time and changes history, Kirk and Spock (Leonard Nimoy) follow him to correct the timeline. In doing so, Kirk falls in love with Edith Keeler (Joan Collins), but realizes that in order to save his future, he must allow her to die.

Best plot of the series and Joan could really...  cook back then as a major babe--

Okay, let me know what y'all think...    but don't bruise the gin!
"I've got a twisted sense of humor, and everything amuses me." RAH Beyond this Horizon

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: 50 Years of "Star Trek" The original Series - My Sweet 16
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:41:28 pm »
I liked 15 of your 16 picks.

"Amok Time" is a favorite of mine that's not on your list but it's still a good list.

The only one I took issue with was #12 "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." To me it's just another one of Gene Coon's preachy stories. It does, however, contain the memorable destruct sequence, which was reused quite effectively in "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock":

Captain James T. Kirk: Computer, this is Captain James Kirk of the USS Enterprise. Destruct sequence 1: code 1-1A.

Computer voice: Voice and code 1-1A verified and correct. Sequence 1 complete.

Captain James T. Kirk: Mr. Spock?

Mr. Spock: This is Commander Spock, Science Officer. Destruct sequence number 2: code 1-1A-2B.

Computer voice: Voice and code verified and correct. Sequence 2 complete.

Captain James T. Kirk: Mr. Scott?

Lt. Cmdr. Montgomery 'Scotty' Scott: This is Lt. Commander Scott, Chief Engineering officer of the USS Enterprise. Destruct sequence number 3: code 1-B-2-B-3.

Computer voice: Voice and code 1B-2B-3 verified and correct. Destruct sequence completed and engaged. Awaiting final code for 30 second countdown.

Captain James T. Kirk: Mr. Spock, has the ship returned to the course set for it by my orders?

Mr. Spock: Negative, Captain. We are still headed directly for Cheron.

Computer voice: Destruct sequence engaged. Awaiting final code for 30 second countdown.

Captain James T. Kirk: Computer, this is Captain James Kirk of the USS Enterprise. Begin 30 second countdown. Code zero-zero-zero-destruct-zero.

Computer voice: 30 seconds... 29... 28... 27...

Computer voice: 25 seconds.

Captain James T. Kirk: Let's see you prevent the computer from fulfilling my commands.

Computer voice: 20 seconds.

Captain James T. Kirk: From five to zero, no command in the universe can prevent the computer from fulfilling its destruct orders.

Computer voice: 15 seconds.

Captain James T. Kirk: You can use your will to drag this ship to Cheron, but I command the computer. Mine is the final command.

Computer voice: 10... 9... 8... 7... 6...

Bele: [shouts desperately] I agree!

Captain James T. Kirk: Computer, this is Captain James Kirk of the USS Enterprise. Code 1-2-3-continuity. Abort destruct order. Repeat: code 1-2-3-continuity. Abort destruct order.

Computer voice: Destruct order aborted. Destruct order aborted.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:54:33 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 10:54:50 am »
That is a good list.. As for #12 I didn't know what the big deal was (granted I was 9 or 10 when I first saw it when I was a kid).  I did like the self destruct sequence.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 05:03:29 pm »
Khhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...  aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn!
Khaaaaannnnn!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:12:38 pm »
The Theiss Titillation Theory is grand display.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn