Author Topic: The Cheerful Thread  (Read 11807 times)

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: The Cheerful Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2017, 09:25:36 pm »
This is why I like Southwest more than any other airline:

http://en.newsner.com/now-we-pay-tribute-to-the-airline-that-did-everything-in-its-power-to-help-a-mother-in-need/about/news,family

What an inspiring story! I don't remember seeing this in the news. Maybe it was covered, but for as much bad news as is covered and covered and covered and covered ad nauseam, one would hope the media would include inspiration stories as well.

@Applewood
@Sanguine 

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2017, 02:30:52 pm »
Amid Hurricane Irma prep, Florida man offers generator to stranger in need
By ENJOLI FRANCIS EBONY JOSEPH Sep 7, 2017, 6:32 PM ET

[...] Pam Brekke had spent days waiting for empty shelves to be restocked and searching for a generator. [...]  She said today that she'd traveled more than 30 miles to Orlando to a Lowe's Home Improvement store that had received a surprise shipment of a little more than 200 generators.

Within two hours, however, the generators were sold out and Brekke, who had been next in line, was empty-handed.
A heartbroken Brekke then began to cry. Ramon Santiago, who had gotten one of the generators but had not purchased it yet, noticed and insisted that she take his.

"She needs the generator," Santiago said. "It's OK."

Brekke shared with Santiago that it was her ailing father who needed the generator to power his oxygen supply. After giving him a hug, Brekke said she was overwhelmed by Santiago's generosity.

"That gentleman was a great gentleman right there," she said. "God will bless that man."

[Excerpt.]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2017, 02:34:49 pm »

[...] Pam Brekke had spent days waiting for empty shelves to be restocked and searching for a generator. [...]  She said today that she'd traveled more than 30 miles to Orlando to a Lowe's Home Improvement store that had received a surprise shipment of a little more than 200 generators.

Within two hours, however, the generators were sold out and Brekke, who had been next in line, was empty-handed.
A heartbroken Brekke then began to cry. Ramon Santiago, who had gotten one of the generators but had not purchased it yet, noticed and insisted that she take his.

Brekke shared with Santiago that it was her ailing father who needed the generator to power his oxygen supply. After giving him a hug, Brekke said she was overwhelmed by Santiago's generosity.

"That gentleman was a great gentleman right there," she said. "God will bless that man."

[Excerpt.]

That brought tears to my eyes.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2017, 02:55:51 pm »
Saw that on the news last night.  Earlier in the day there was a story about people fighting over the last generator, quart of milk, whatever, at various retailers around Florida.  Also, a fistfight broke out between 2 motorists at a gas station.  Allegedly, one motorist cut in front of another to get the gas station's last few drops of gas. 

When you read stories like this one, after seeing other stories of people behaving like animals, it restores your faith in mankind.  Mr. Santiago will indeed be blessed for his selfless act.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2017, 02:58:20 pm »
That brought tears to my eyes.
It's always good to know there are more decent people out there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2017, 01:04:58 pm »
No cite, because this is a little news story from my own community, reported on Facebook.

The two middle schools in our county held their final volleyball match against one another. Next year, the schools will be consolidated into a single middle school. A prerecorded National Anthem was supposed to be played before the match, but something went wrong with the equipment.

Here's how a parent told it:
For those who were not at the ___ vs. ___ volleyball game last night, I'd love to share what happened. The crowd and players all stood for the national anthem, however after about 30 seconds to a minute nothing happened. So the (high school) volleyball players, who had come to watch the middle school girls play, started singing softly. Everyone in attendance joined in an sang the entire National Anthem!!! It was a very moving moment!!! I wish I had got it on video!!!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2017, 03:46:53 pm »
@mountaineer

That is great, especially in view of the disrespect being shown to the flag by supposed grownups. 

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2017, 11:16:43 pm »

[Excerpt.]

Wonderful post! The only thing wrong with it is that you didn't provide a Kleenex alert.  8888crybaby

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2017, 04:11:06 pm »
I needed a happy post today. 😊
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline corbe

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2017, 03:12:36 am »
Obama: When Americans see strangers in need, they 'step up'

By Jacqueline Thomsen - 10/21/17 10:02 PM EDT

Former President Obama said he “could not be prouder” of Americans for their response to help victims of the recent hurricanes that struck the U.S.

Obama, speaking at the One America Appeal benefit concert for hurricane victims Saturday night, praised Americans who are helping in the recovery efforts.

“All of us on this stage here tonight could not be prouder of the response of Americans," Obama said. “When they see their neighbors and they see their friends, they see strangers in need, Americans step up.”

“And as heartbreaking as the tragedies that took place here in Texas and in Florida, in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands have been, what we’ve also seen is the spirit of America at its best: When ordinary people step up and do extraordinary things.”

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/356578-obama-when-americans-see-strangers-in-need-they-step-up

If this ain't cheerful I want more of what obummer smokes and less of what you do.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2017, 05:47:32 pm »
Watch: Doorbell cam captures Idaho trick-or-treater's good deed
by KBOI News Staff | Friday, November 3rd 2017

http://idahonews.com/news/local/watch-doorbell-cam-captures-idaho-trick-or-treaters-good-deed

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (KBOI) — An Idaho boy is doing everything right these days.

Jesse Robertson of Idaho Falls wasn't necessarily surprised with the empty candy bowl. He expected someone or somebody took a few too many pieces of candy while the family was away Halloween night.

Robertson and his family instructed trick-or-treaters to do some kind of trick to be rewarded some candy.

"We left ... a sign that said 'do a trick take a treat! Only one or two please you're on camera!," Robertson told KBOI 2News.

When they finally arrived home, the family watched the video to see how long their candy stash lasted. He found the child who took most of the candy, but what happened after that is what melted his heart.

A young boy apparently felt bad about the family's empty bowl so he left behind some of his own hard earned candy for other trick-or-treaters.

[...]

Video here:

http://idahonews.com/news/local/watch-doorbell-cam-captures-idaho-trick-or-treaters-good-deed

and

https://www.facebook.com/kboi2/videos/1732395496772149/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn