Author Topic: 10 Things We All Did in School That Are Banned for Kids Today  (Read 1795 times)

Offline DB

Re: 10 Things We All Did in School That Are Banned for Kids Today
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 10:59:52 pm »
I remember we had a hunting safety class in High School. It was not uncommon for someone to bring their rifle to class and learn about cleaning, etc. I seem to recall this was even a required class at the time, for people under 18 who wanted a hunting license. It also was not uncommon for guys to have rifles and shotguns on racks in their truck, coming to school from hunting in the morning.

This wasn't the 1940s or 50s. I graduated in the 90s.

Yep. Many of the pickup trucks had gun racks with guns on them on the school grounds back in the late 70's. That ammo was rolling around on the floor... Someone could even bring a gun into metal shop to do something to it... No one cared. No one got shot.

We also had an unlicensed, illegal radio station at our high school... No one really cared. It was fun.

Silver Pines

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 11:12:48 pm »
I've never lived in a town with more than a few hundred people.

@Cripplecreek

That's a good way to grow up.  My parents' house had a backyard with nice big trees, and we lived next door to my cousins.  I remember getting married and being worried that I woudn't like being surrounded by woods, lol. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2017, 11:25:35 pm »
@Cripplecreek

That's a good way to grow up.  My parents' house had a backyard with nice big trees, and we lived next door to my cousins.  I remember getting married and being worried that I woudn't like being surrounded by woods, lol.

I had grandparents, great grandparents and cousins all right there in Hanover. We were definitely free range.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 12:43:49 am »
We used to get to leave school grounds for lunch.  The high school was located next to a shopping center with a grocery store and a few little fast food places.  But that didn't last; some jerk kids shoplifted and they put an end to it for everybody.
We only left when someone called in a bomb threat, about every other day when the weather was nice. (my Freshman and Sophomore years)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 12:51:33 am »
Not sure this applies, but what the heck. 

When I was in grade school, I always wanted to kiss Judy - my prettiest classmate.  Never did.  But, she went to Prom with me in my junior year of high school.  Sort of made up for it.   :smokin:
Chances are, if you had kissed her in grade school, the worst you would have gotten was a slap, or a talking to from the teacher if she wasn't offended and the teacher was (and your parents told, maybe).

Nowadays, you'd have been branded with sexual assault allegations (even if she didn't mind).
That has really gotten freaky out there, and was why we sent our granddaughter to Parochial school. She has always been openly affectionate.  In the Public Schools if she'd hugged a fellow kindergartner and they'd replied with 'Ewww!" or something similar, the handbook said the kids would be written up for sexual assault.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2017, 12:52:54 am »
Not sure this applies, but what the heck. 

When I was in grade school, I always wanted to kiss Judy - my prettiest classmate.  Never did.  But, she went to Prom with me in my junior year of high school.  Sort of made up for it.   :smokin:

I loved a girl in kindergarten named Sarah.

She smelled like hot dogs.