Author Topic: 10 Things We All Did in School That Are Banned for Kids Today  (Read 1794 times)

rangerrebew

10 Things We All Did in School That Are Banned for Kids Today
By Julie Prince
chat 216 comments
Dodgeball
Image Credit Shutterstock

Things sure have changed from when I was a kid in the '80s! I was contemplating the "rules" for my kindergartner's Halloween party at school and it dawned on me how much has changed from when I was in elementary school. There are so many things they can't or don't do anymore and some are kind of sad.

10. Playing Dodgeball at Recess

I remember racing Justin Thompson everyday from the top of the stairs all the way down to the far tennis court to see who would get there first. Everyone wanted the far court to play a tough game of dodgeball. I still remember the smell and sound of that red gym ball as we would wind up to strike our victims. It was glorious. Too bad my kids won't ever know what a good dodgeball victory feels like because it's been banned by most schools for being too dangerous. Somebody may break their face off. What a pity.

9. Running on the Playground

https://pjmedia.com/parenting/2016/11/10/10-things-we-all-did-in-school-that-are-banned-for-kids-today/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:20:35 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: 10 Things We All Did in School That Are Banned for Kids Today
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 11:31:48 am »
We didn't have carpet squares or vending machines. But here are a couple of things:

Say the Pledge of Allegience. Complete, with the "one nation under God" part.

Pray. It was generally expected in the parochial schools, but we got to say The Lord's Prayer in the Public Schools, too.  When Kennedy was shot (John, not Bobby), a nun stuck her head in the door and informed us. We immediately stopped what we were doing and prayed for the President.

Bring toy guns to school and play cops and robbers and "Army" at recess.

If you didn't have a toy gun, you could find a stick, or even hold your hand with your fingers pointed to look like a pistol and say things like "Bang! Bang!" I got you!

Call someone a "faggot", even if they weren't, without having four news vans show up in front of the school and ending up on the six o'clock news.

Smoke. That's right. The High School I graduated from permitted upperclassmen (juniors and seniors) to have a cigarette in designated smoking areas. It was a suspension offense in the public schools.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 12:01:05 pm »
Never played dodgeball at recess. We played that in gym. Knuckles were our recess habit.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 03:11:14 pm »
Thought I'd list the rest (without the commentary):
8. Clapping Erasers
7. Bringing in Homemade Cupcakes on Your Birthday
6. Dressing Up for Halloween
5. Having Your Friends' Parents Drive You Home
4. Sitting "Indian Style" on Your Carpet Square
3. Get a Tasty Treat or a Coke From the Vending Machine
2. Picking Your Valentine
1. Trophies for Winning
We never had vending machines, either, but I do remember when the high school I attended senior year added a smoking area. Of course, the kids still went out in the woods behind the school to smoke the wacky tobacky.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 03:21:16 pm »
Apparently vending machines came after my school days. The only vending machines in our school were in the teacher's lounge.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 03:26:06 pm »
10 Things We All Did in School That Are Banned for Kids Today
By Julie Prince
chat 216 comments
Dodgeball
Image Credit Shutterstock

Things sure have changed from when I was a kid in the '80s! I was contemplating the "rules" for my kindergartner's Halloween party at school and it dawned on me how much has changed from when I was in elementary school. There are so many things they can't or don't do anymore and some are kind of sad.

10. Playing Dodgeball at Recess

I remember racing Justin Thompson everyday from the top of the stairs all the way down to the far tennis court to see who would get there first. Everyone wanted the far court to play a tough game of dodgeball. I still remember the smell and sound of that red gym ball as we would wind up to strike our victims. It was glorious. Too bad my kids won't ever know what a good dodgeball victory feels like because it's been banned by most schools for being too dangerous. Somebody may break their face off. What a pity.

9. Running on the Playground

https://pjmedia.com/parenting/2016/11/10/10-things-we-all-did-in-school-that-are-banned-for-kids-today/
Wow isn't that funny....  After I read your post about playing dodgeball with the red ball and the smell of it...it immediately brought back memories of playing dodgeball in the gym. Heck I can still remember the smell of the ball and even the texture of it.  Those were good times...nailing someone with that red ball...lol.  We played 4 square and 2 square with that same ball....even kick ball.  I had forgotten about these things....thanks for bringing back the memories.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 03:29:16 pm »
I see kids wearing shorts in school today and that was an absolute no no when I was in school.

We also couldn't leave the school for lunch.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 03:35:02 pm »
I see kids wearing shorts in school today and that was an absolute no no when I was in school.

Our school district didn't permit girls to wear pants until the year I was in 9th grade. Oh my gosh, I am so old.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 03:44:28 pm »

I had lunch right after gym, my senior yr. I wouldn't suit up except if it was raining, cause then we'd play dodge ball. After roll call I'd be told to walk the track. I'd walk halfway around, jump the fence, and take my car to get lunch. Then sneak back in.

The assistant principal tired of teachers sending students caught smoking to him. So he'd tell them where to go to smoke where they wouldn't get caught.

After school sometimes we'd play more dodgeball. This time with basketballs. I loved dodgeball.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 03:47:55 pm »
One other thing you can't do now in school is carry a knife. Every kid I knew had a pocket knife.

Offline chae

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 03:51:36 pm »
I volunteered at a Head Start for a period time, and they had the rule that if you wanted to bring in treats for a birthday or something of that nature, they had to be from a grocery store or bakery in an unopened box. 
Considering one of the parents said, and I quote "It doesn't make any sense to me that you don't carry a bucket with you on the bus so that if a kid has to pee, you can pull over to the side of the road and let him go in the bucket."   And all but one family had questionable, at best, hygiene, it made total sense.

Offline anubias

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 05:11:53 pm »
I volunteered at Head Start as well.  It was before they had busses as children were routinely not picked up by their mothers that were too high/drunk to come get them.  Busses would have been a good thing except I wonder what those poor kids walked into when they got off those busses.

As for school, dodgeball was my favorite sport except we used volleyballs instead of four-square balls.  We also brought clothespins and rubber bands to school to make guns to shoot the rubber bands that I assume would get a child arrested now.  We also brought yo-yo's and strings to do "Jacob's Ladder" and whatnot.  My grandkids tell me those are not allowed anymore either.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 05:52:49 pm »
One other thing you can't do now in school is carry a knife. Every kid I knew had a pocket knife.

In my collection, I still have the knife I carried to school with me every day, a nice little 4" Case two-blade that my dad gave me. It's over 50 years old and still in great condition. 

If a kid today did even 10% of the things that my friends and I did on a regular basis in high school, he would be expelled, if not imprisoned. And I was pretty much a straight "A" student.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 05:57:59 pm »
In my collection, I still have the knife I carried to school with me every day, a nice little 4" Case two-blade that my dad gave me. It's over 50 years old and still in great condition.

Eldest grandson has mine. It was given to my Dad on his 8th birthday, then me on mine, then my son's 9th birthday (I weren't home for his 8th), now it's my grandson's. It's just a cheapo two blader, but means something to us.

Online dfwgator

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 05:59:08 pm »
I had lunch right after gym, my senior yr. I wouldn't suit up except if it was raining, cause then we'd play dodge ball. After roll call I'd be told to walk the track. I'd walk halfway around, jump the fence, and take my car to get lunch. Then sneak back in.

The assistant principal tired of teachers sending students caught smoking to him. So he'd tell them where to go to smoke where they wouldn't get caught.

After school sometimes we'd play more dodgeball. This time with basketballs. I loved dodgeball.

My school was so tough we played dodgeball with bowling balls.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 06:11:56 pm »
I don't know who this dizzy broad is or where she lives, but everything on that list except for two are currently done at my local school. One thing we do not have is eraser banging because they use dry marker on whiteboards now and the other are vending machines.....which is something I didn't have either.

If this shit bugs this lady so much she has two options. Get off her fat ass and get elected to school board and change things or move.

Silver Pines

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 09:52:27 pm »
We used to get to leave school grounds for lunch.  The high school was located next to a shopping center with a grocery store and a few little fast food places.  But that didn't last; some jerk kids shoplifted and they put an end to it for everybody.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 10:01:26 pm »
I remember we had a hunting safety class in High School. It was not uncommon for someone to bring their rifle to class and learn about cleaning, etc. I seem to recall this was even a required class at the time, for people under 18 who wanted a hunting license. It also was not uncommon for guys to have rifles and shotguns on racks in their truck, coming to school from hunting in the morning.

This wasn't the 1940s or 50s. I graduated in the 90s.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:01:53 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 10:02:55 pm »
We used to get to leave school grounds for lunch.  The high school was located next to a shopping center with a grocery store and a few little fast food places.  But that didn't last; some jerk kids shoplifted and they put an end to it for everybody.

Our school was about 4 miles from town in either direction.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 10:19:06 pm »
Not sure this applies, but what the heck. 

When I was in grade school, I always wanted to kiss Judy - my prettiest classmate.  Never did.  But, she went to Prom with me in my junior year of high school.  Sort of made up for it.   :smokin:
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Silver Pines

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 10:22:48 pm »
Our school was about 4 miles from town in either direction.

@Cripplecreek

I grew up in the city.  I wouldn't want to go back.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 10:23:45 pm »
Not sure this applies, but what the heck. 

When I was in grade school, I always wanted to kiss Judy - my prettiest classmate.  Never did.  But, she went to Prom with me in my junior year of high school.  Sort of made up for it.   :smokin:

Carrie Anne Hughes. Stunningly pretty.

I did kiss her.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 10:35:21 pm »
@Cripplecreek

I grew up in the city.  I wouldn't want to go back.

I've never lived in a town with more than a few hundred people.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 10:38:26 pm »

Would it happen to be this one? This is what I carried and still carry.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 10:58:25 pm »
Would it happen to be this one? This is what I carried and still carry.
No, it's this one:

Still sharp, after all these years (and after a bit of loving attention).
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn