Author Topic: Emaciated Venezuelan elephant becomes latest symbol of food crisis  (Read 533 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Emaciated Venezuelan elephant becomes latest symbol of food crisis

Pictures of an emaciated 46-year-old elephant named Ruperta in the Caricuao Zoo have begun circulating in newspapers and social media. @RcamachoVzla Román Camacho

By Jim Wyss
jwyss@miamiherald.com

BOGOTA, Colombia

An apparently malnourished African elephant in a Venezuelan zoo — her ribs showing through her sagging skin — has become the latest symbol the deep economic crisis in what was once one of Latin America’s most prosperous nations.

As pictures of an emaciated 46-year-old elephant named Ruperta in the Caricuao Zoo began circulating in newspapers and social media, Venezuelans have launched a food drive to save the pachyderm.

Caracas’ El Universal reported that Ruperta is suffering from diarrhea and dehydration after zoo officials only had squash to feed her for several days. According to the newspaper, when neighbors tried to bring food to the elephant over the weekend, the donations were turned away by zoo officials citing sanitary issues.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/venezuela/article140979933.html#storylink=cpy

Very sad.  Poor things, surely, this reporting will get this one animal some attention. A 46 year old elephant.

geronl

Re: Emaciated Venezuelan elephant becomes latest symbol of food crisis
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:09:48 am »
Very sad.  Poor things, surely, this reporting will get this one animal some attention. A 46 year old elephant.

I am kind of surprised the elephant hasn't been eaten.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Emaciated Venezuelan elephant becomes latest symbol of food crisis
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 08:32:06 am »
I am kind of surprised the elephant hasn't been eaten.
Old, tough, nothing but skin and bones, but good to do ads and articles which will bring in money for the elephant (which likely won't go to the elephant). It is a valuable poster child for critter saving outfits to raise money.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis