Author Topic: At least 12 dead in crash involving Central Texas church group near Garner State Park  (Read 4096 times)

Offline corbe

At least 12 dead in crash involving Central Texas church group near Garner State Park

By Kelsey Bradshaw, San Antonio Express-News

1 hr ago

A major collision has shut down Highway 83 near Garner State Park, the Uvalde County Sheriff's Office announced and news outlets are reporting multiple fatalities.© Photo: WOAI-KABB TV A major collision has shut down Highway 83 near Garner State Park, the Uvalde County Sheriff's Office announced and news outlets are reporting multiple fatalities. 

A New Braunfels church group returning from a choir retreat Wednesday afternoon was involved in a major collision near Garner State Park resulting in at least 12 confirmed fatalities.

Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman Lt. Juan G. Hernandez said the bus and a Dodge dually pickup truck collided head-on at 12:23 p.m. on U.S. 83 North, just south of Ranch Road 1050.

Hernandez confirmed 12 people died in the accident, and that three others were transported to a hospital. Hernandez said the bus was carrying 14 people and there was one driver in the truck.

Texas Highway Patrol is continuing to investigate the crash, Hernandez said.

An area resident told the Uvalde Leader-News that she was behind one of the vehicles involved in the crash and called to report reckless driving before the crash occurred.

First Baptist New Braunfels Pastor Brad McLean told mySA.com a van from the church was carrying seniors from the Alto Frio Baptist Camp and Conference Center, where they were on a choir retreat.

"We just want to be, obviously, thoughtful of the families," McLean said. "We know one of our church vans was involved in the accident. We're just continuing to wait on information."

The Uvalde County Sheriff's Office said at 2 p.m. that traffic is being re-routed thru state Highway 127 near Concan and FM 1050 by Garner State Park and expect the highway to be closed for several hours. The National Transportation and Safety Board tweeted that they are also investigating the accident.

"We are saddened by the loss of life and our hearts go out to all those affected," said Gov. Greg Abbott in a statement.

The church said all planned activities have been canceled, although they will be open for prayer and support tonight. He said counselors will be on hand at the church as well.

"We are just trying to work through this," he said, adding everyone is anxious to receive more news.

Staff writer Jacob Beltran contributed to this report.

kbradshaw@express-news.net

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/at-least-12-dead-in-crash-involving-central-texas-church-group-near-garner-state-park/ar-BBz1Agw?OCID=ansmsnnews11

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

put these people in your Prayers tonight, gut punch to this close knit community I share.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mountaineer

Heartbreaking!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Terrible story. 

Offline Idiot

put these people in your Prayers tonight, gut punch to this close knit community I share.
I saw this on the news tonight.  I am soooooooooo sorry!  May God comfort the injured and the family's of those who perished.  How horrible.......

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
This happened in GeronL's neck of the woods, my prayers for all of those affected.

geronl

That hits close to home

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Prayers offered!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Polly Ticks

Tragic.  Shades of Larry Wayne Mahoney / Carrollton, KY bus crash in the late '80's that killed 27. 

Prayers for the families/friends of those impacted.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Prayers up.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idiot

13 senior adults have died including the driver.  The driver of the truck that was at fault is surviving.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
13 senior adults have died including the driver.  The driver of the truck that was at fault is surviving.

I read that.  20 year old.  He's going to have to live with it for the rest of his life.

debrawiest

How tragic. Praying for all involved.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Witness: Driver in crash admitted texting before collision

https://apnews.com/01f5bc86a2974214b92170677dd61e58?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=APCentralRegion

HOUSTON (AP) — The driver of a pickup truck that collided with a church minibus in rural Texas, killing 13 people, apologized after the crash and acknowledged he had been texting while driving, a witness said Friday.

Jody Kuchler told The Associated Press he was driving behind the truck and had seen it moving erratically prior to the Wednesday collision on a two-lane road about 75 miles west (120 km) of San Antonio, near the town of Concan. Kuchler said the truck had crossed the center line several times while he followed it.

Kuchler said he called the sheriff's offices for both Uvalde and Real counties while he followed the truck and told them "they needed to get him off the road before he hit somebody."

Kuchler said he witnessed the crash and afterward, he checked on both the bus and the truck and was able to speak with the driver, who has been identified by the Texas Department of Public Safety as 20-year-old Jack Dillon Young, of Leakey, Texas.

snip

Offline mountaineer

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Polly Ticks

He was texting while driving.  :nometalk:

Oy.  DUIE  -- driving under the influence of electronics. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Applewood

Young and stupid.  Can't people put their devices away for even a minute?

Offline Idiot

Oy.  DUIE  -- driving under the influence of electronics. 

Sadly, Texas is going to have to do something about texting while driving.  I see it all the time...people not looking up and paying attention.  I've been guilty of it on occasion.

Offline Smokin Joe

Sadly, Texas is going to have to do something about texting while driving.  I see it all the time...people not looking up and paying attention.  I've been guilty of it on occasion.
I have a flip phone and tried once to text a two word reply to a brief text. Never again. The road was straight, no vehicles but me, but I won't repeat that. It'll wait--and that includes to read them. You want to talk, call, if it isn't 'busy' out there, I'll answer.
Since then, the State of ND has passed laws against 'distracted driving', and almost every idiot maneuver I have seen on the road has been by a driver either texting or talking on the phone.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:46:43 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

It's illegal in my state, as is talking on a phone other than a hands-free device, and every other person on the road still does it. That may explain why we see so many drivers drifting all over the road.

Offline Mod2

Merged threads on same topic into the older one.

Offline Smokin Joe

It's illegal in my state, as is talking on a phone other than a hands-free device, and every other person on the road still does it. That may explain why we see so many drivers drifting all over the road.
Why I won't text, read texts, and seldom answer the phone unless I can pull off.

I'm too busy dodging the people who are messing with the phone.

Some day "SMARTphone" will be seen as a contradiction...

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

Illegal in Pennsylvania too. Not that it matters.  I see people doing it all the time. 

Read something earlier this week that pedestrian accidents have increased .  Number one cause -- talking or texting on the phone. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
My phone reads my texts to me.  I don't have to look at the phone at all.