Author Topic: At least 12 dead in crash involving Central Texas church group near Garner State Park  (Read 4109 times)

Offline Applewood

My phone reads my texts to me.  I don't have to look at the phone at all.

For me, listening would still ne a distraction.  Then again, I can't walk and chew gum at the same time.  LOL

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Witness: Driver in crash admitted texting before collision
[Associated Press]
JUAN A. LOZANO
Associated PressMarch 31, 2017

HOUSTON (AP) — The driver of a pickup truck that collided with a church minibus in rural Texas, killing 13 people, apologized after the crash and acknowledged he had been texting while driving, a witness said Friday.

Jody Kuchler told The Associated Press he was driving behind the truck and had seen it moving erratically prior to the Wednesday collision on a two-lane road about 75 miles west (120 km) of San Antonio, near the town of Concan. Kuchler said the truck had crossed the center line several times while he followed it.

more
https://www.yahoo.com/news/callers-reported-swerving-pickup-deadly-bus-crash-050524425.html
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:16:44 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Maybe edit the headline a bit to reflect the serious carnage and death toll this idiot inflicted. Like this: (kills 13) Otherwise people are so bent on texting here they drive right by this without really noticing. @mystery-ak
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:05:19 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

geronl

Oy.  DUIE  -- driving under the influence of electronics. 

Driving While Stupid (IMO)

geronl

I had to find a ride home last night from work.

The guy has 2 small kids there waiting for him (his ex dropped them off), talk about distracted - he left his take-home soup on the table herding them until I mentioned it. Then he spends a lot of time on the phone while driving trying to figure out what happened to his wallet "I just had it". (Yes, I noticed how much he weaved, even drove on some grass at one point.) Oh, did I mention he said his glasses broke?

Eventually we went back to the restaurant and found the wallet. He had left it on  the roof of the car and it fell off in the parking lot.

It was the longest ride home ever.

lol.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
For me, listening would still ne a distraction.  Then again, I can't walk and chew gum at the same time.  LOL
I drove enough old beaters over the years, where the first sign of trouble was a new noise, and listening to the car would save you serious repairs or worse, that I seldom even have the radio on. Before I ever had a tach, I learned to shift based on the pitch of the engine sound.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

I had to find a ride home last night from work.

The guy has 2 small kids there waiting for him (his ex dropped them off), talk about distracted - he left his take-home soup on the table herding them until I mentioned it. Then he spends a lot of time on the phone while driving trying to figure out what happened to his wallet "I just had it". (Yes, I noticed how much he weaved, even drove on some grass at one point.) Oh, did I mention he said his glasses broke?

Eventually we went back to the restaurant and found the wallet. He had left it on  the roof of the car and it fell off in the parking lot.

It was the longest ride home ever.

lol.
Glad you survived.

("Adventure" is adversity in retrospect, after all.)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
There is an uptick here in accidents involving texting. A pedestrian got taken out a couple of months back. Vehicular manslaughter charges aren't enough, IMO. Many times it is probation and community service.

I have a co-worker that is addicted to his phone. Texts while he drives. Constantly. The boss hired him because he is a "professional" driver. I won't ride with him. He says I have nothing to worry about because he knows what he is doing. Not like all those other idiots doing it.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline mountaineer

A few years ago we nearly got t-boned at an intersection by a young woman who appeared to be texting.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

geronl

There is an uptick here in accidents involving texting. A pedestrian got taken out a couple of months back. Vehicular manslaughter charges aren't enough, IMO. Many times it is probation and community service.

Some people seem to think Grand Theft Auto was a lesson in driving.

Online Smokin Joe

A few years ago we nearly got t-boned at an intersection by a young woman who appeared to be texting.
I don't reach for the horn button like some drivers, so I disabled the anti-lock brakes on all my older Chevrolets (they aren't worth crap on ice, anyway) and now when I hit the brakes hard, the wheels lock and make noise. Nothing like the squeal of tires to get someone's attention. I have made a few sit up and take notice.

C S Lewis