Author Topic: Having Co-Opted the Tea Party Nationwide, Trump Tries to Stamp out its Remnants in Congress  (Read 773 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The ultimate outsider candidate collaborates with the GOP establishment to marginalize the House Freedom Caucus and pivot toward centrist Democrats....

Have you seen the latest craze among Trump administration officials and their enablers in the Republican establishment? It's called Pin the Blame for Ryancare on the House Freedom Caucus....

http://reason.com/blog/2017/03/27/having-co-opted-the-tea-party-nationwide

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Trump just took advantage of what was already going on. He simply recognized what many of us warned of. When the tea party became an "organization" it took on leaders who could be bought. The tea party express became nothing more than a means of funding itself by hiding behind a few conservative speakers while inviting establishment politicians to come and speak and that was before Trump came along.

Anyone who really remembers the beginnings of the tea party remembers the strongly anti politician stance that we didn't want to hear from politicians. They were to shut up and listen to us.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The tea party express became nothing more than a . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

My last argument with anyone from the tea party express was over their plan for a chartered cruise of the Alaska coastline with big name speakers (Herman Cain was the only one they named). I pointed out that people who can afford the $4 grand were not the people who created and made up the bulk of the tea party and that they shouldn't be doing things so wildly out of reach for most of us if they wanted to be taken seriously.

I don't think the cruise ever happened because I was right about the average tea partier like myself.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
My last argument with anyone from the tea party express was over their plan for a chartered cruise of the Alaska coastline with big name speakers (Herman Cain was the only one they named). I pointed out that people who can afford the $4 grand were not the people who created and made up the bulk of the tea party and that they shouldn't be doing things so wildly out of reach for most of us if they wanted to be taken seriously.

I don't think the cruise ever happened because I was right about the average tea partier like myself.
I think in the media, especially, the TEA party was the most misunderstood movement in history. Those of us who were scratching to get by and were fiscally responsible only demanded the same from those who represented us. It was a bottom up movement, and the second media started talking about the 'national' TEA Party organizations, it was already done, despite the best efforts of millions.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Trump just took advantage of what was already going on. He simply recognized what many of us warned of. When the tea party became an "organization" it took on leaders who could be bought. The tea party express became nothing more than a means of funding itself by hiding behind a few conservative speakers while inviting establishment politicians to come and speak and that was before Trump came along.

Anyone who really remembers the beginnings of the tea party remembers the strongly anti politician stance that we didn't want to hear from politicians. They were to shut up and listen to us.

From my point of view, the groups and folks pushing for an Article V convention are the ones who've hewed most closely to the original intent of the tea party movement.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline r9etb

One of the major fallacies of the early tea party movement was that it could effect political change without participating fully in the political process.  Without national leaders and without a broad organization (and I recall being told in no uncertain terms that the tea party movement needed neither) such a movement is mainly talk, simply through lack of organization. 

There were a few politicians who were elected on explicitly tea party principles, and the FC is apparently all that remains of them.

Still, while you're probably correct about the failings of the "tea party express," you're not correct that Trump took advantage of the "leaders."  Instead, he took advantage of the underlying anger and frustration that has informed the Tea Party movement since its inception.  That he probably didn't mean it was obvious to a lot of us -- it's what demagogues do.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:10:47 pm by r9etb »