Author Topic: All U.S. F/A-18 Hornet models affected by oxygen deprivation and cabin decompression issues  (Read 756 times)

Offline endicom

The Aviationist
David Cenciotti
Mar. 29, 2017

Legacy and Super Hornet showing a concerning steady increase in “physiological episodes” that U.S. Navy calls “No.1 safety issue.”

The F/A-18 Hornets of all variants seems to be affected by a serious issue: oxygen shortage, or hypoxia, is plaguing the fleet of Legacy (A/B/C/D), Super Hornet (E/F) and Growler (EA-18G).

As reported by Bloomberg News, the F/A-18 of all models have shown a steady yearly increases of what the Navy calls “physiological episodes” due to oxygen deprivation and cabin decompression since the since May 1, 2010.

Navy officials testifying before the House Armed Services subcommittee called the problem the “No.1 safety issue.”

And what is even more concerning is the fact that there seem to be little clue as to what is causing the issue.

The “lack of overall progress” is “of great concern,” said Representative Niki Tsongas, the top Democrat in the panel.

More... https://theaviationist.com/2017/03/29/all-u-s-fa-18-hornet-models-affected-by-oxygen-deprivation-and-cabin-decompression-issues/

Offline r9etb

And what is even more concerning is the fact that there seem to be little clue as to what is causing the issue.

If it's increasing as the aircraft age, it's gotta be a materials issue of some sort.  I wouldn't be surprised if the failure rate was correlated with number of takeoffs.

Offline endicom

If it's increasing as the aircraft age, it's gotta be a materials issue of some sort.  I wouldn't be surprised if the failure rate was correlated with number of takeoffs.

The oxygen deprivation and/or decompression issue seems to be in new or old.

This report comes mostly from a Bloomberg news report, https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-28/pilots-short-of-oxygen-keep-vexing-boeing-f-18-jet-trump-favors, which is clearly meant to slam Trump for his touting of the Super Hornet. Nonetheless, the problems are probably as stated.

And missing is whether foreign nations are having these problems with their Hornets or Super Hornets.

Offline r9etb

The oxygen deprivation and/or decompression issue seems to be in new or old.

So ... perhaps it's new parts being made of different stuff than old parts, and the failure rate increases as old parts are replaced with new ones. 

Offline endicom

So ... perhaps it's new parts being made of different stuff than old parts, and the failure rate increases as old parts are replaced with new ones.

Could be but I don't know. Which puts me on par with the Navy, apparently.

Offline r9etb

Could be but I don't know. Which puts me on par with the Navy, apparently.

It's one of those "it looks good until it's broken" sort of things.  My propulsion professor back in college worked on a problem like that, related to the old A-6 -- it had to do with a long metal rod that bent out of shape at high g's as the aircraft pulled out of a dive.  The fix was simple: get a thicker rod; but it took them for-damned-ever to find it.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
As I said on the other thread, this makes me feel better about my Marine son not getting his first choice to fly. He got Harriers

Offline endicom

As I said on the other thread, this makes me feel better about my Marine son not getting his first choice to fly. He got Harriers

Maybe the Harrier is the more enjoyable ride. And Harrier's days are numbered so he should be 'graduating' to something else before long. If he stays in, that is.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
I am seeing 2025/2030 as retirement date. His contract expires 2023. He is not one who will declare today that he will do the career, but Dad sees it as a very attractive track.

Offline endicom

I am seeing 2025/2030 as retirement date.

Huh. I thought they were pushing them out.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
The U.S. Marine Corps will phase out the Boeing AV-8B Harrier II jump jet by 2025 — about five years earlier than planned — and will instead extend the life of its fleet of aging Boeing F/A-18 Hornet strike fighters, according to the service’s recently released 2015 aviation plan.

In previous years, the service had said it would replace its increasingly older fleet of original model Boeing F/A-18A – D Hornet strike fighters before retiring the Harriers before replacing both fighters with the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lighting II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF).

https://news.usni.org/2014/11/03/u-s-marines-retire-harrier-fleet-early-planned-extend-life-hornets

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98