Author Topic: New York Architects Plan Enormous Skyscraper Hanging From An Asteroid In Space  (Read 2192 times)

Offline thackney

New York Architects Plan Enormous Skyscraper Hanging From An Asteroid In Space
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bridaineparnell/2017/03/29/skyscraper_suspended_on_asteroid/#720553e5194f
MAR 29, 2017

The quest to cram ever more human beings into ever-decreasing square footage of city real estate continues – with a skyscraper suspended from an asteroid.

A New York architecture firm is proposing a design for the world’s tallest building Analemma Tower, which would hang down from the sky suspended by air cables attached to an asteroid.

“Analemma inverts the traditional diagram of an earth-based foundation, instead depending on a space-based supporting foundation from which the tower is suspended. This system is referred to as the Universal Orbital Support System (UOSS),” Clouds Architecture Office said in a statement.

“By placing a large asteroid into orbit over earth, a high strength cable can be lowered towards the surface of earth from which a super tall tower can be suspended. Since this new tower typology is suspended in the air, it can be constructed anywhere in the world and transported to its final location.”

...The asteroid that Analemma Tower is connected to would be placed in a geosynchronous orbit that would describe a figure of eight over the Earth. The tower would be moving at its slowest speed at the top and the bottom of the figure eight orbit, allowing its inhabitants to interact with Earthlings at these points.

The slowest part of the entire trajectory would happen over New York and the whole trip would take 24 hours. The loop would also include passes over the south east coast of the US, Cuba, Ecuador and Peru....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Oh yeah I can do better then that.  I'm gonna hang one from the moon!
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

http://www.sciencealert.com/these-new-york-architects-want-to-attach-a-skyscraper-to-an-asteroid-and-hang-it-over-our-cities

..."The ground trace for this pendulum tower would be a figure eight, where the tower would move at its slowest speed at the top and bottom of the figure eight, allowing the possibility for the towers occupants to interface with the planet's surface at these points," the group explains.

"The proposed orbit is calibrated so the slowest part of the towers trajectory occurs over New York City."

The skyscraper would be suspended from an asteroid orbiting Earth at 50,000 km (31,068 miles) above the surface. The building itself would be positioned roughly 32 km (20 miles) above the surface.

The problem here is that humans don't do so well at such altitudes - as the team explains, the near vacuum and -40°C (-40°F) temperature would require protective suits when visitors are entering and leaving the building....

Offline thackney

Offline driftdiver

Do the physics of this even hold up?   Never mind how would you get the asteroid into orbit, then keep it in orbit, then keep airplanes and weather from hitting it.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
@kevindavis

Its a space elevator.

Offline thackney

Do the physics of this even hold up?   Never mind how would you get the asteroid into orbit, then keep it in orbit, then keep airplanes and weather from hitting it.

I think weather would be the biggest problem besides cost.

Hurricanes

Offline thackney

@kevindavis

Its a space elevator.

No, it doesn't reach the ground and is not tethered.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
No, it doesn't reach the ground and is not tethered.

So its an untethered space elevator.

Offline bolobaby

Someone read Seven Eves by Neal Stephenson.

Oh, and for the record, this plan will wind up like another very famous "plan:"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLyOj_QD4a4
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline driftdiver

So its an untethered space elevator.

No, it doesn't go up and down.  It has elevators but its a building, hanging from the stars, with magic.

I think they got the idea from Larry Nivens Ringworld books.

Offline r9etb

The orbitology is a bit complicated.

Consider that as it's doing its figure-8, the building is going to be moving through the atmosphere at roughly the speed of a jetliner.  The drag from that would need to be countered somehow.  Not to mention the pieces that will get torn off, or the windows sucked out.

Because the orbit is inclined, the motion of this building and its tether -- which will of necessity contain a lot of conductive materials -- will generate a tremendous amount of electricity (see the Shuttle Tethered Satellite experiments), which also acts as drag.  On the other hand, pumping electricity back through the building will act as propulsion, though to be of any use there'd have to be an enormous energy storage or generation capability.

And of course, there's the whole problem of building the thing.  It would be built from the asteroid on down, which is probably not too bad for the parts above the sensible atmosphere, but those 600 mph winds down low will be a bit ... difficult.

Doing the rendezvous with the thing would be sporty.  You'd have to rendezvous with the center of mass of the system, which will become more and more separated from the asteroid as the building took shape.  (The asteroid would move radially outward, and the building would move radially inward.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:33:59 pm by r9etb »

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom

No, not even close to obeying the laws of physics. Pure fantasy.
Some real problems,  wind speeds of hundreds of miles per hour, no material available to handle the incredible tensile strength required, weather in general, static electricity build up and discharge, differentials in atmospheric pressure, and many others.

Offline Idiot

So it's attached to an asteroid in a decaying orbit.....right......  One of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of.

Offline driftdiver

Ahh but it got the company a lot of free press.

Offline r9etb

So it's attached to an asteroid in a decaying orbit.....right......  One of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of.

It's pretty dumb, all right.  But I can't wait to use it as a discussion topic in my class next fall.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
It seems to me part of the problem is making the thing hand down so low in the first place. Why not do it on a smaller scale and leave it in space, instead of dragging the atmosphere? Of course if you do that putting a base on the moon might make just as much sense. Did I miss something?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline r9etb

It seems to me part of the problem is making the thing hand down so low in the first place. Why not do it on a smaller scale and leave it in space, instead of dragging the atmosphere? Of course if you do that putting a base on the moon might make just as much sense. Did I miss something?

What you missed, is that this is cool.  I mean, look at the pictures!

The sheer amount of work that went into this is amazing, considering how they failed to consider some very basic issues.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Yeah I'm sure this will get built.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don't know about the rest of you,but *I* think a huge skyscraper full of denizens of NYC out in the vacuum of space is an excellent idea.

I'd even be willing to donate BB guns and sling shots to any children they have.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!