Author Topic: Texas Republican Ted Poe Quits Freedom Caucus Over Their #NeverTrump Intransigence…  (Read 6105 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Let's remember how we got ObamaCare in the first place.

The Democratic-controlled Senate took a bill from Congress and gutted it completely.  Next, a select few met privately in a back room and whipped up a magic potion not even their fellow Democrats could see, discuss, or offer the slightest input towards.  At the very last moment the magic potion was unveiled to the world.  Violating the Senate's own rules for providing ample time to review the bill, Nancy Pelosi forced a quickie vote.  And for good measure she tossed in a few billion in bribes, one being called the Louisiana Purchase.

In short, 1/6 of the entire American economy was embezzled from the private sector and snatched up by a small number of powerful elite.  The entire snake in the grass process was similar to what you would find in Russia or your run of the mill Banana Republic.

And it worked.  They got their bill passed into law.

This would be the exact opposite of Paul Ryan employing the democratic process where he followed the rules in an open, orderly, transparent process.  Bitch about the outcome all you want.  Unless you want a Pelosi-style strong arm heist of our democratic process you might want to step back and look at the big picture.  The ugly and problematic process set forth by The Founders isn't supposed to be pretty, but can be appreciated warts and all.

The things you're complaining about here are internal procedural issues, based on rules of parliamentary procedure that appear nowhere in the Constitution.  Ultimately, the only "democratic process" that really matters is that a majority votes is required to pass a law, and that's what actually happened.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:36:52 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
@Right_in_Virginia

At least you finally admit that you are not a Conservative.

Many of them never were. In the last few months before I walked away from TOS I saw clowns like CringingNegativityNetwork say that Obamacare was great but only Trump could make it better. BlackFemaleArmyCaptain was regaling us with tales of how Bill Clinton was actually a great president.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
@Right_in_Virginia

At least you finally admit that you are not a Conservative.

Yep, the stripes are finally showing.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
If I were new to this planet .. I'd walk away from this thread convinced conservatives were crazy, mean-spirited losers.  There isn't one post of substance rooted in thought.

You must be so proud.   :smokin:

In the case of the recent kerfluffle that allied the Freedom Caucus firmly with Democrats everywhere, they're crazy, mean-spirited winners too.   

The job-killing employer mandate remains

The freedom-killing individual mandate remains

The open-ended Medicaid commitment remains

The budget-busting subsidies remain

The growth-killing taxes remain.

All thanks to the Freedom Caucus who can't take yes for answer.   

They are indeed Hillary's favorite caucus.   
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:17:22 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In the case of the recent kerfluffle that allied the Freedom Caucus firmly with Democrats everywhere, they're crazy, mean-spirited winners too.   

The job-killing employer mandate remains

The freedom-killing individual mandate remains

The open-ended Medicaid commitment remains

The budget-busting subsidies remain

The growth-killing taxes remain.

All thanks to the Freedom Caucus who can't take yes for answer.   

They are indeed Hillary's favorite caucus.   
The communists in the GOP always have the option open of acting like conservatives when it is time to vote on something that counts. They voted to repeal Obamacare when it didn't count (and they knew it), they can damn well do it now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The communists in the GOP always have the option open of acting like conservatives when it is time to vote on something that counts. They voted to repeal Obamacare when it didn't count (and they knew it), they can damn well do it now.

No they can't, and no they won't.   The ACA lives - get used to it.   The Freedom Caucus has shown they cannot be trusted,  and cannot be part of the next coalition. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
No they can't, and no they won't.   The ACA lives - get used to it.   The Freedom Caucus has shown they cannot be trusted,  and cannot be part of the next coalition. 

Trusted? Who in the hell do you think they work for? Ryan? (NOPE) Trump? (Guess again!) They work for their constituents. What coalition? If the RINOs and The Democrats want to link up and Trump wants to sign off on that, it just proves what many of us have thought of Trump and the RINOs from day one. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:02:10 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Trusted? Who in the hell do you think they work for? Ryan? (NOPE) Trump? (Guess again!) They work for their constituents. What coalition? If the RINOs and The Democrats want to link up and Trump wants to sign off on that, it just proves what many of us have thought of Trump and the RINOs from day one.

Trump preferred to work with conservatives.  If conservatives won't compromise, then support for fixing the ACA must come from elsewhere. 

Give Trump credit for giving conservatives the first shot at being part of the solution.   But instead they've dissed their own party's leadership and chose to be part of the problem.  ObamaCare lives, thanks to the Freedom Caucus.    Why should Trump (or Ryan) cut them any slack going forward on grounds of either loyalty or ideology?   It's time to move on and seek out another coalition that isn't dependent on their support. 

Can't blame Trump for scuttling these self-serving clowns.       
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:11:06 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Cripplecreek

Honestly I can't figure out what a Trumper's claim to conservatism is at this point. They want blind obedience with no constitution, federalism, or principles getting in the way. They are progressives.

Online corbe

Trump preferred to work with conservatives.  If conservatives won't compromise, then support for fixing the ACA must come from elsewhere. 

Give Trump credit for giving conservatives the first shot at being part of the solution.   But instead they've dissed their own party's leadership and chose to be part of the problem.  ObamaCare lives, thanks to the Freedom Caucus.    Why should Trump (or Ryan) cut them any slack going forward on grounds of either loyalty or ideology?   It's time to move on and seek out another coalition that isn't dependent on their support. 

@Jazzhead

'My way or the highway' may be a chapter in the Art of the Deal, but it is not any form of compromise.
   Go ahead persuade a few Dems to back your crappy alternative to ACA, I'll keep my Integrity and my ideology.   
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Night Hides Not

If I were new to this planet .. I'd walk away from this thread convinced conservatives were crazy, mean-spirited losers.  There isn't one post of substance rooted in thought.

You must be so proud.   :smokin:

Trump and his supporters are the wolves voting on what's for lunch. Great governing strategy.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Cripplecreek

Trump and his supporters are the wolves voting on what's for lunch. Great governing strategy.

Personally I'm pleased to see the rabid hatred of conservatives so clearly exposed. They're proving that Trump and his supporters are exactly what they claimed they were fighting against.

I'm spreading the evidence far and wide so conservatives can see the rabid contempt Trumpers really feel for actual conservatives.

Online Hoodat

Trump preferred to work with conservatives.

If Trump had worked with Conservatives, we would have a law now.  But instead of Trump working with Conservatives, he threatened them instead.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
No they can't, and no they won't.   The ACA lives - get used to it. 
Where do I send the bill? If you're going to stand in the way of getting rid of the mandate, you can at least pony up the hundreds of dollars in penalties I'm being forced to pay for literally doing nothing.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@Jazzhead

Trump promised to repeal Obamacare.  This bill wasn't a repeal, it was a slightly modify. 

Conservatives have been compromising for the last 8 years.  The voters don't want compromise, they want Obamacare repealed.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline cato potatoe

If Trump had worked with Conservatives, we would have a law now.  But instead of Trump working with Conservatives, he threatened them instead.

He tried to set the terms, as if he were the only potential buyer in a distressed property sale.  He's out of his niche and out of luck.  No more than a handful of blue dog dems will sign on, unless they think it will be a poison pill for his next campaign.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:03:41 pm by cato potatoe »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Where do I send the bill? If you're going to stand in the way of getting rid of the mandate, you can at least pony up the hundreds of dollars in penalties I'm being forced to pay for literally doing nothing.

Send your bill to the Freedom Caucus - the mandates would be gone if not for those fools.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
He tried to set the terms, as if he were the only potential buyer in a distressed property sale.  He's out of his niche and out of luck.  No more than a handful of blue dog dems will sign on, unless they think it will be a poison pill for his next campaign.

Trump performed brilliantly, in my view.   He supported a bill crafted by the GOP leadership,  supported compromises to the bill to try get it passed, and then quickly jettisoned it in favor of other priorities when it became clear that the Freedom Caucus was going rogue.   You cannot partner with fools.   Time to move on.   

ACA will remain the law of the land for the foreseeable future.    Get used to it.     

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
  The voters don't want compromise, they want Obamacare repealed.

You're fooling yourself.   The voters only want the mandates gone; the rest of it they're perfectly happy with.     

Online corbe

Trump performed brilliantly, in my view.   He supported a bill crafted by the GOP leadership,  supported compromises to the bill to try get it passed, and then quickly jettisoned it in favor of other priorities when it became clear that the Freedom Caucus was going rogue.   You cannot partner with fools.   Time to move on.   

ACA will remain the law of the land for the foreseeable future.    Get used to it.     

You forgot the part @Jazzhead about blaming everyone (Dems, FC) for the failure of the bill to pass and sending Judge Pirro out to call for Ryan's head, Classy indeed.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
You're fooling yourself.   The voters only want the mandates gone; the rest of it they're perfectly happy with.     

@Jazzhead

Nonsense.  I know thats in the talking points you've been given but there's a lot more than that wrong with Obamacare.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online corbe

'They'd vote no against the Ten Commandments': GOP congressman resigns from conservative group

Maxwell Tani

Rep. Toe Poe explained on Monday why he resigned from the House Freedom Caucus, a group of hardline conservative lawmakers who helped block President Donald Trump and House Speaker Paul Ryan's healthcare bill.

Poe said on CNN's "New Day" that the conservative caucus "continues to be the opposition caucus against anything in the Republican party."

The Texas congressman argued that while Republican leadership attempted to ignore the concerns of its most conservative members in the past, members were key players in the negotiation of the American Healthcare Act.

"There's nothing that could be added to the bill that the Freedom Caucus would ever vote yes on," Poe said. "I got the opinion that there are some members of the Freedom Caucus — they'd vote no against the Ten Commandments if it came up for a vote."

Poe claimed that although it was "not a perfect bill," Republicans "promised for years" that they would repeal President Barack Obama's Affordable Care Act should they hold the White House.

"We voted 60 times to repeal Obamacare. Then when it came down to repealing it, when it actually counted, people said 'Nah, I'm not going to vote to repeal the bill,'" Poe said.

<..snip..>

http://www.businessinsider.com/ted-poe-explains-why-quit-house-freedom-caucus-2017-3

Online corbe

"We voted 60 times to repeal Obamacare. Then when it came down to repealing it, when it actually counted, people said 'Nah, I'm not going to vote to repeal the bill,'" Poe said.

This Idiot is still pushing that the Bill was a Repeal of the ACA, which IT WAS NOT!
   His District borders Sheila Jackson Lee's District, guess all the fumes from the traffic is making both of them Delusional.

Online Hoodat

Send your bill to the Freedom Caucus - the mandates would be gone if not for those fools.

Bullshit.  The bill you support has mandates (which you also support).
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Another to drive over the cliff with Trump and Ryan in a classical Thelma and Louise move.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.