Author Topic: The Encoded Crusader Sword: Can You Solve the Cryptic Code?  (Read 861 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The Encoded Crusader Sword: Can You Solve the Cryptic Code?
« on: March 26, 2017, 05:37:42 pm »
Can you solve the cryptic code engraved into the blade of this 13th century sword? The curious inscription continues to baffle historians, cryptographers ad linguists and last year the British Library appealed to the public for help in cracking this 800 year old mystery.

As you read this article, you will notice that my personal research has turned a tiny, but significant key in this mystery, but maybe you can solve it once and for all?

The sword dates to between 1250 and 1330 and was discovered in the 19th century in the River Witham near Lincoln in northern England. Currently on display at the British Library in the Magna Carta exhibition its steel blade has a sharply honed edge which is unusual, having two fullers or grooves, running parallel down each side. Last year, a spokesperson for the British Museum in London stated:

“A Viking origin has been suggested for the sword on the basis of the fullers, the pommel and the letter forms of the inscription. However, it is apparent that the pommel, inscription and the blade shape are more characteristic of Medieval European swords than those of Viking origin.”

http://www.ancient-origins.net/artifacts-other-artifacts/encoded-crusader-sword-can-you-solve-cryptic-code-007782
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: The Encoded Crusader Sword: Can You Solve the Cryptic Code?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 05:50:46 pm »
I believe this one has been cracked for a while using Medieval shorthand and a few assumptions on some letters not being what they appear (C for G for example).

N D X O X C H W D R G H D X O R V I  = + (in) NOMINE DOMINI CHRISTI OMNIPOTENTIS – CHRISTUS CUSTODIAT HONOREM WILLELMI,DOMINO NOSTRO GRATIAS HABENTIS – DOMINUS CHRISTUS, OMNIPOTENS REDEMPTOR, VINCIT (et) IMPERAT +

This one has been around some language and history sites for a while with a lot of study. The above seems to be the consensus and most logical translation. Not cryptography but a simple Latin dedication. You may recognize it as similar to a Catholic and Episcopal daily proper with a dedication as well to someone named William (probably the sword's owner).

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 05:53:14 pm »
Thanks for that info, @AbaraXas.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 06:48:33 pm »
It says:

It ne'er matters
how sharp the blade
It's very cause
to rip and tear
Don't be concerned
be not afraid
Use one more thing
to shave your hair
Burmashave