Author Topic: Scientists turn spinach leaf into working heart tissue  (Read 395 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Scientists turn spinach leaf into working heart tissue
« on: March 25, 2017, 11:25:07 pm »

Researchers have managed to turn a spinach leaf into working heart tissue and are on the way to solving the problem of recreating the tiny, branching networks of blood vessels in human tissue.

Until now, scientists have unsuccessfully tried to use 3D printing to recreate these intricate networks.

Now, with this breakthrough, it seems turning plants with their delicate veins into human tissue could be the key to delivering blood via a vascular system into the new tissue.

Scientists have managed in the past to create small-scale artificial samples of human tissue, but they have struggled to create it on a large scale, which is what would be needed to treat injury.

Researchers have suggested that eventually this technique could be used to grow layers of healthy heart muscle to treat patients who have suffered a heart attack.

Plants and animals of course have very different ways of transporting chemicals around the body.

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/25/scientists-turn-spinach-leaf-working-heart-tissue/

Posting it here rather than medical because no one is going to have a head of lettuce for a heart tomorrow.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Scientists turn spinach leaf into working heart tissue
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 11:31:52 pm »

I needs me a new hearts, skiddly diddly scrumity do
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.