Author Topic: 7,000 Huge Gas Bubbles Have Formed Under Siberia, and Could Explode at Any Moment  (Read 870 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Last year, researchers in Siberia's remote Bely Island made the bizarre discovery that the ground had started bubbling in certain places, and was squishy under the locals' feet like jelly.

At the time, just 15 of these swollen bubbles had been identified, but an investigation in the wider region of the Yamal and Gydan peninsulas has revealed that 7,000 or so of them have cropped up, and the concern now is that they could explode at any moment.

http://www.sciencealert.com/7-000-huge-gas-bubbles-have-formed-under-siberia-and-could-explode-at-any-moment
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

geronl

does it blame 'climate change'?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

The climate is a hell of a lot better there than it was 250 million years ago when nearly a million square miles of Siberia was covered in lava.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
It was maybe too much Borscht?  :whistle:

Offline Suppressed

While these appear to be typical pingos, some local scientists are claiming evidence this is less from hydrostatic pressure and frost heave than the degassing of melting permafrost.

I think even the most die-hard skeptic would admit a permafrost feedback loop would be a nightmare scenario, so I'm hoping this is overblown.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:06:53 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
While these appear to be typical pingos, some local scientists are claiming evidence this is less from hydrostatic pressure and frost heave than the degassing of melting permafrost.

I think even the most die-hard skeptic would admit a permafrost feedback loop would be a nightmare scenario, so I'm hoping this is overblown.

:silly: :silly:

geronl

Where is that Russia-shattering kaboom??

Offline Victoria33

@bigheadfred

Thanks for posting this.  Sent the link to son who is going to Siberia soon to make documentary film.  This will be his third film there. 

Offline uglybiker

Any time now an' they'll git blow'd up real good! WHOO!
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!