Author Topic: Lead Poisoning In “Dozens Of California Communities” Worse Than Flint, Michigan  (Read 407 times)

rangerrebew

Lead Poisoning In “Dozens Of California Communities” Worse Than Flint, Michigan

By wkchild on March 24, 2017   • ( 0 )

Source: Zero Hedge

California, a state infamous for its environmental protections, including a $65 billion tunnel project being pushed by Governor Jerry Brown so as not to disrupt the habitat of a tiny, non-native fish species, may be facing a lead poisoning crisis more severe than Flint, Michigan.

According to blood test data obtained by Reuters, rates of childhood lead poisoning in several California cities surpass those measured in Flint, Michigan, with one Fresno locale showing rates nearly three times higher.

In fact, in Fresno’s downtown 93701 zip code, nearly 14% of children tested showed lead levels at or above 5 micrograms per deciliter of blood, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s current threshold for an elevated reading.  As the CDC noted, no level of lead exposure is safe, but children who test that high warrant an immediate public health response.

https://sentinelblog.com/2017/03/24/lead-poisoning-in-dozens-of-california-communities-worse-than-flint-michigan/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 08:43:51 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

This smells bad.  The recent $100 million payoff to Flint for its water woes may have emboldened CA to try to get some fed money too.

My question is : why in the world should anybody outside of Flint, perhaps Michigan, have to pay a dime for Flint's water problems?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Just jumping on the bandwagon in this case would be my guess.

The fact is that lots of cities still have the lead pipes but that doesn't automatically mean lead poisoning. Over time lead oxide builds up inside the pipes which is a fixed crystalline form that doesn't normally dissolve into the water. In Treated water is somewhat corrosive and will dissolve the lead oxide.  In Flint they failed to add the anti corrosive agent which caused the lead oxide to dissolve.

Its a long term issue that can be managed. Some cities replace the lead pipes with something else whenever they have a reason to dig them up. I've also seen them use vinyl linings that adhere to the insides of the pipe.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, that 'splains why the big cities vote Democrat...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I had some frightening exposure to lead as a child. Mostly in the form of shotgun pellets, though.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline DB

How many of those children are recent arrivals from other countries, particularly south of the border?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How many of those children are recent arrivals from other countries, particularly south of the border?
How many are 'documented'? Pretty bad if they'd have to be sent back to Mexico where they can drink the water... :shrug:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:29:41 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

I thought that, too.   :beer:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley