Author Topic: End of the road for oil?: Not with our obsession for big, energy-obese vehicles  (Read 5732 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
SJ,  my first car after I got married was my dad's Vega station wagon, a true rustbucket with fake wood on the side.   I remember driving it on the expressway through downtown Philly when it dropped its muffler.  I tied a rope around the muffler and my wife, in the passenger seat,  held on to the other end to keep it from dragging on the road and throwing off sparks.   As we limped home,  a dude passed us and yelled "GET THAT PIECE OF SH!T OFF THE ROAD!".   And my wife yelled back "WE'RE TRYING!!!"

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think people who are lucky and own large garages should be made to drive the small cars that more virtuous people have to drive.  Fair.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
I think people who are lucky and own large garages should be made to drive the small cars that more virtuous people have to drive.  Fair.
No, I think we should tax them more so that those who didn't win life's auto lotto don't feel left out. After all most folks need a car to get to work the community should provide...
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
No, I think we should tax them more so that those who didn't win life's auto lotto don't feel left out. After all most folks need a car to get to work the community should provide...

I hope he realizes we're just teasing him in a good-natured way....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
I hope he realizes we're just teasing him in a good-natured way....
I hope so. He gets hounded more than he probably deserves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cn-LWSmVjY
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
SJ,  my first car after I got married was my dad's Vega station wagon, a true rustbucket with fake wood on the side.   I remember driving it on the expressway through downtown Philly when it dropped its muffler.  I tied a rope around the muffler and my wife, in the passenger seat,  held on to the other end to keep it from dragging on the road and throwing off sparks.   As we limped home,  a dude passed us and yelled "GET THAT PIECE OF SH!T OFF THE ROAD!".   And my wife yelled back "WE'RE TRYING!!!"
My brother had a '74, 4-banger, bone stock and still < 1 year old at the time, manual tranny (he bought it new, for $1,999.99). I got the power lag down (pedal to the floor, about 1 sec to what actually wasn't bad power for a car that size), and could actually do far, far, better on more serpentine roads and gravel than the guys who were driving cars set up to drag race. On the straight stretches they blew the doors off that thing, but I had them cold in the turns.

In a contest of speed on the approach road to the Steel Plant (fabrication, not a mill) I worked in during a couple of summers in college, I beat a Mustang which was very nicely set up for drag racing over the two mile course. He had me in the straight stretch (as I knew he would) but I closed it up in the turns and started beeping my horn to rattle him. He went high, I went low, and a lot of money changed hands back at the plant. He thought I'd pulled something with a sleeper until I popped the hood and showed off the factory 4-banger.
(Physics is our friend.)
If my brother had known...he would have killed me.

Years later, as a favor to a friend who was moving, I bought a '73 hatchback which was a complete bondo buggy. It would have been banned in Bowman, ND, which has an ordinance against ugly cars in town. No matter how vague the ordinance, this mustard yellow, peeled bondo, and rust brown car would have unquestionably qualified.

One of the last things my friend had done before leaving town was park the car on a fairly sizeable rock, and he'd bent the bottom of the oil pan among other things. The oil industry had been flat a few years and money was tight, so I gave him the 20 bucks and parked it in back, thinking maybe I'd use something off it. Unfortunately, my daily driver suffered a catastrophic failure and I needed a vehicle.
I jacked the front end back into something approximating original specs with a jack between the cross member the radiator mounted above and the front of the engine, got another radiator, put it together (as well as the bolts would hold anything) and fired it up. The crank journals hit the oil pan and made a hideous racket, but the darned thing ran--sorta. Anyway, well enough to get me around town, which was what I needed at the time. I'm cheap, I drove it for a couple of years before upgrading, just because it kept running. On the highway, though, it shook and shimmied like Chuck Yeager's controls while breaking the sound barrier at 55, and I scared a few people who rode with me, just going down the road. Of course, I expected it, knew it was the fouled up "frame" geometry, but they didn't.
Anyway, after upgrading to a van, I parked it again, and finally sold it to a guy who wanted it for the steering gear to use in a hot rod he was building, and got more out of the car than I'd put into it, and got to drive it for a couple of years, too.

All in all, they don't owe me, and I found them to be pretty good cars for their weight class.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Frat bro of mine in college had a Vega back in the 70's.  Got T-boned and opened the passenger door with his head.  Woke up 3-4 days later in the Neuro hospital.  Was always a bit strange after that, until his narcolepsy kicked in while he was driving down the freeway.  I recall it was the weekend before I officially pulled up stakes in MI and moved to the deep south.

I miss Scott....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

Frat bro of mine in college had a Vega back in the 70's.  Got T-boned and opened the passenger door with his head.  Woke up 3-4 days later in the Neuro hospital.  Was always a bit strange after that, until his narcolepsy kicked in while he was driving down the freeway.  I recall it was the weekend before I officially pulled up stakes in MI and moved to the deep south.

I miss Scott....
Sorry about your bro. It was not a car to get hit in, by much of anything.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Sorry about your bro. It was not a car to get hit in, by much of anything.

Ya, we were worried about the German Shepherds that lived in the area.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

I miss Scott....

Sad story,  CL.  Sorry about your friend.

A car means freedom, and freedom has its costs.   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
A car means freedom, and freedom has its costs.   

Indeed it does.  Everything does. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Indeed it does.  Everything does.

Yep. Only politicians think differently.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

All in all, they don't owe me, and I found them to be pretty good cars for their weight class.

I only got about 90K out of it before it died.    And I think that's the only car I ever owned I didn't get at least 100K out of.   I remember my wife would be embarrassed to drive it herself, because it had a big decal on the back:  "Beer Can Collectors of America".

I always liked it, though, it never left me stranded,  and some years later I bought a Ford EXP in part because it reminded me of the Vega.  Now, nobody in their right mind should buy a Ford EXP, but I did.   Mrs. Jazz, of course, promptly got pregnant.     

Offline Smokin Joe

I only got about 90K out of it before it died.    And I think that's the only car I ever owned I didn't get at least 100K out of.   I remember my wife would be embarrassed to drive it herself, because it had a big decal on the back:  "Beer Can Collectors of America".

I always liked it, though, it never left me stranded,  and some years later I bought a Ford EXP in part because it reminded me of the Vega.  Now, nobody in their right mind should buy a Ford EXP, but I did.   Mrs. Jazz, of course, promptly got pregnant.   
LOL!

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

My situation's a bit different than most - my garage was built in 1910,  and simply won't fit a vehicle more than 74 inches wide.   So that eliminates all but the smaller SUVs.  But if you can wedge a big engine in a small car, I'm all ears.   I'll pay the price at the pump in order to go fast!

Why the hell does the pickup need to fit in the garage? Mine has never ever been put away at night. That'd make it soft. It needs to battle the elements. Makes it tough... seasons it up.

But if you must:
Restore a mid 70's Toyota pickup or landcruiser
Or A Jeep CJ-5 or Willy's
Or a 60's Ford Bronco

In any case above, especially the Jeeps, conversion to a Chevy  powerplant, transmission, and transfer case, is negligible. All have bolt in kits to get it done. The Jeeps would be a bit more extensive, as everything underneath must go, and be converted to Chevy, to include the differentials.

Offline Smokin Joe

I have a '75 Toyota FJ-40 Landcruiser with a 327 in it. I recommend getting an overdrive unit if you will have it on the highway much, and a larger gas tank than the one for the stock toyota 6 cylinder. With the installation of the small block (and removal of the pollution gear and the 6 cylinder), the vehicle will lose weight! Consider electric fans on the radiator for better cooling, too.
Keep the stock roll cage. They save lives, but the vehicle is very solid--especially compared to the new stuff..
A word of warning, though, they have a short wheelbase and stiff suspension. Not a soft ride.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:16:54 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Why the hell does the pickup need to fit in the garage? Mine has never ever been put away at night. That'd make it soft. It needs to battle the elements. Makes it tough... seasons it up.

But if you must:
Restore a mid 70's Toyota pickup or landcruiser
Or A Jeep CJ-5 or Willy's
Or a 60's Ford Bronco

In any case above, especially the Jeeps, conversion to a Chevy  powerplant, transmission, and transfer case, is negligible. All have bolt in kits to get it done. The Jeeps would be a bit more extensive, as everything underneath must go, and be converted to Chevy, to include the differentials.

I had a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee for many years;  I finally got rid of it just this past Labor Day.   Best vehicle I ever owned - and it was fast for what it was, with a bulletproof 318 mill. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I worked for A major oil company known for its stinginess with its company cars.  As an example, mine did not have a/c, making it truly stifling driving the caliche roads in South Texas.

Some bright idiot decided to save money by buying Gremlins and Vegas for us engineers and company foremen.

I recall one Vega had a really tough time taking the bumpy dirt roads driven by a foreman.  It took a year, but after 50k miles, the engine fell out of the vehicle and it was scrapped.

That and other cars made by GM back then set back the American auto industry for decades as the Asians made inroads to consumers here.  They are only now slowly crawling out of the holes they dug.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I worked for A major oil company known for its stinginess with its company cars.  As an example, mine did not have a/c, making it truly stifling driving the caliche roads in South Texas.

Some bright idiot decided to save money by buying Gremlins and Vegas for us engineers and company foremen.

I recall one Vega had a really tough time taking the bumpy dirt roads driven by a foreman.  It took a year, but after 50k miles, the engine fell out of the vehicle and it was scrapped.

That and other cars made by GM back then set back the American auto industry for decades as the Asians made inroads to consumers here.  They are only now slowly crawling out of the holes they dug.

With protectionism we'll get garbage like Gremlins and Vegas once again.

Offline Smokin Joe

With protectionism we'll get garbage like Gremlins and Vegas once again.
I don't know of anyone who expected the Gremlins, Pintos, or Vegas to be luxury cars. They did what they did, at the bottom of the new car market. They were starter cars you'd trade in in a couple of years and move up, were small, easy to perk, easy on gas compared to the thundering herd. You knew that going in (besides, dealers could take a serious mark up on the used ones to start even more folks with a car).

The real disappointment to me was the Ford Maverick. It reminded me of playing as a kid in a cardboard box.

None of those were built for unpaved roads, deep snow, or the like. The average mechanic's creeper had more ground clearance. They were pavement cars for the most part, or for well groomed gravel. That said, I have had some back country adventures in vehicles that were not designed to go where we went. Imagine climbing ledges on canyon roads in a Ford Taurus. (We had to stop and build ramps from fallen rocks to get up some of them, and blew the struts in one trip, but we got there and back.)

C S Lewis