Author Topic: 2017’s Fattest Cities in America  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
2017’s Fattest Cities in America
« on: March 23, 2017, 08:16:38 pm »
Richie Bernardo
WalletHub
March 22, 2017

Americans are the fattest people in the world. By one measure, more than 70 percent of the U.S. population aged 15 and older is overweight or obese. But such a finding should come as no surprise, considering the proliferation of fast-food establishments and increasingly cheaper grocery items that have negatively altered our diets. Unfortunately, the extra pounds have inflated the costs of obesity-related medical treatment to nearly $316 billion a year and annual productivity losses due to work absenteeism to more than $8.6 billion.

But certain places are more responsible than others for tipping the scale in favor of bad health. To identify them, WalletHub’s analysts compared 100 of the most populated U.S. metro areas across 17 key indicators of weight-related problems. Our data set ranges from share of physically inactive adults to projected obesity rates by 2030 to healthy-food access. Read on for our findings, expert advice on tackling America’s growing obesity problem and a full description of our methodology.

More
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:18:04 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: 2017’s Fattest Cities in America
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 08:25:26 pm »
So basically they named every major city in the US. Thank you world government fetishists for your opinion. Let me file it with all of your other opinions.....

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 08:28:22 pm »
So basically they named every major city in the US. Thank you world government fetishists for your opinion. Let me file it with all of your other opinions.....

"opinions"?  Is this not based on factual information?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:34:30 pm »

Dig around on OECD website. They are basing this shit off of BMI which a thoroughly discredited way to determine obesity because of a number of factors. Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime would be considered obese using that shady scale.

In other words, this cite is peddling their normal New World Order bullshit saying that us, the haves, have too much. F that.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265215.php

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 08:37:16 pm »
First off I would prefer something about methodology. But the result is similar to other reports.

It clearly shows a demarcation with the West having less obesity. Denver and Colorado Springs.

High altitude with four seasons, no particular political bias.

I'll go out on a limb and claim that out West, we are more health and fitness oriented.

That probably includes more outdoors exercise, and more care over diet. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 08:42:45 pm »
First off I would prefer something about methodology. But the result is similar to other reports.

It clearly shows a demarcation with the West having less obesity. Denver and Colorado Springs.

High altitude with four seasons, no particular political bias.

I'll go out on a limb and claim that out West, we are more health and fitness oriented.

Boise got beat by Denver again. I think it's the mountain lions chasing all the joggers in Denver and making them faster runners. Plus it thins the heard of the slowest.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 08:49:47 pm »

Or you spend all your money on paying for $2000 efficiencies with a shitter in the kitchen and can't afford food.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 09:10:30 pm »
So basically, areas with more reasonable climates, 50-90 degrees and low humidity, year round are in better shape than places with more extreme swings in climate (fridged winters, blistering summers). It also applies to places that have year round access to better, fresher produce, versus places where either due to weather extremes or culture, have higher meat/fat diets.

That doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess which places would be healthier.

And congratulations to Shreveport Louisiana for being the overall worst. A combination of blistery hot and humid summers, where people don't want to go out, and right in the heart of Cajun and Southern cooking, you make fat people proud.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 09:22:03 pm »
A couple of thoughts... I'd bet that poor people are over represented in the portion of the population deemed fat, apparently many of them can't be bothered to buy and prepare their own health foods, in spite of the fact they're able to eat on the taxpayer nickle; and

Second, I've been running and doing moderate weigh training regularly for 35 years and at 175 lbs and 5' 9" am considered overweight by the government's measure. Taking their word on it would be pretty demoralizing, so I don't take what they think very seriously.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:25:00 pm by skeeter »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 09:22:11 pm »
So basically, areas with more reasonable climates, 50-90 degrees and low humidity, year round are in better shape than places with more extreme swings in climate (fridged winters, blistering summers). It also applies to places that have year round access to better, fresher produce, versus places where either due to weather extremes or culture, have higher meat/fat diets.

That doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess which places would be healthier.

And congratulations to Shreveport Louisiana for being the overall worst. A combination of blistery hot and humid summers, where people don't want to go out, and right in the heart of Cajun and Southern cooking, you make fat people proud.

So how did Lance Armstrong train in Texas weather?

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 09:26:30 pm »

While I understand your message, you probably should have used a different example.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

geronl

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 10:07:25 pm »

Usually stories with headlines like this cite a report that simply counted the number of fast food places in a city or something stupid like that.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 11:02:33 pm »
"increasingly cheaper grocery items"

I should have stopped reading right there. Unless you grow or raise your own, food is not cheap.  Particularly true of fruit and vegetables.  About the only place I can find a bit more reasonably priced produce is Walmart or Aldis or some discount store.  And contrary to what some people think, packaged meals are not cheap either. Oh, you might find a sale on Lean Cuisine -- 5 for $10, maybe. But if you do a little math, youll find that for the small amount of food you get, they are really expensive. 

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 11:11:08 pm »
"increasingly cheaper grocery items"

I should have stopped reading right there. Unless you grow or raise your own, food is not cheap.  Particularly true of fruit and vegetables.  About the only place I can find a bit more reasonably priced produce is Walmart or Aldis or some discount store.  And contrary to what some people think, packaged meals are not cheap either. Oh, you might find a sale on Lean Cuisine -- 5 for $10, maybe. But if you do a little math, youll find that for the small amount of food you get, they are really expensive.
Fruits and veggies can be affordable if you have the time to prep them. Dried beans are a heck of a bargain. So are potatoes, cabbage, carrots and others depending on the season. Our great great grandparents knew how to get by without a lot, but they also made everything from scratch. In my experience meat is the expensive part of the shopping list. Best way to get around that is to get your meat in bulk like half a beef critter at a time, which you ain't doing with food stamps.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 11:13:23 pm »

Mediterranean Diet

Pasta, bread,  fruits and vegetables, fish, meat in small portions etc.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 11:14:13 pm »

A heavy cocktail of drugs.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 11:16:12 pm »
Mediterranean Diet

Pasta, bread,  fruits and vegetables, fish, meat in small portions etc.

You can waste all day making that to eat when you are reliant on the govt' for your paycheck....

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/business/international/greece-debt-crisis-euro.html