Author Topic: Why is Sears dying?  (Read 3974 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Why is Sears dying?
« on: March 23, 2017, 02:11:42 pm »
SOURCE: AMERICAN THINKER

URL: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/03/why_is_sears_dying.html

by Ed Straker

Sears is on the verge of declaring bankruptcy.  All department stores have faced increased competition from Amazon.com, but Sears is out of cash and about to fail.  Why?

Because the CEO, Eddie Lampert, is a guy with nutty ideas who treated Sears like a dotcom, conveniently forgetting that it has physical stores that need maintaining.

Lampert, a former Wall Street prodigy, took control of Sears more than a decade ago and became its CEO in 2013. But he's rarely seen in the office[.] ... [T]he retailer, famous for selling everything from shoes to vacuum cleaners to whole houses, is facing its biggest crisis ever. It's closing hundreds of stores. Others are in shambles, with leaking ceilings and broken escalators. In some, employees hang bedsheets to shield shoppers from sections that stand empty.

Before Sears and Kmart, Lampert had no experience in retail. The big plan he hoped would transform Sears was a rewards program called Shop Your Way, which the company introduced in 2009.

Through the program, frequent buyers accumulate points for their Sears and Kmart purchases and turn them into coupons and discounts. One primary goal of Shop Your Way was to acquire customers' personal information and sell it to other companies, according to a former executive who worked on the program.

Because of the program, Kmart cashiers went from scanning 18 items a minute to just five, according to a former assistant manager at one store who left in 2012 after 12 years with the company. Some frustrated customers abandon their shopping carts, forcing employees to return all the goods back to shelves.

At the same time Lampert was pushing Shop Your Way and posting on the site, employees started complaining that Sears had stopped investing in its physical stores.

"He refuses to put a dime in updating stores," one former vice president said. "You walk in and you are embarrassed as an employee when the ceilings are leaking and the floors are cracked."

This describes my local Sears to a T, complete with the leaking ceilings.  One detail they forgot to add was the lack of staff.  In my Sears, there is often only one cash register open...for two floors of the store.  So if you want to buy something upstairs, you have to walk down the non-functioning escalator and join the line that wraps around the blue jeans displays as if you were buying bread in Moscow in the 1980s.

Sears is often my first choice to shop because of the prices.  But shopping there is always an unpleasant experience because there is zero help, and one has to take the endurance test at the cashiers.  The only thing Sears really has of value left is real estate – the valuable leases it has at some of its locations.

Questions for discussion:

1) Will you miss Sears when it is gone?

2) What do you think will replace it?

The incredibly shrinking store!  Eventually, a Sears or Kmart will be able to fit snugly inside a 7-11.

Fresh off the pallet!  Just like Costco!  And the "mystery bleeding linoleum" gives Sears that "haunted house" look that appeals to young people!

And by emptying rooms of merchandise, Sears gives you that genuine "Venezuelan shopping experience" that customers line up for.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: Why is Sears dying?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 02:21:04 pm »
Just more examples of Brick and Mortar being Bezosed out of existence.  I am just as guilty as anyone else with my on-lne buying.  But there are times (time constraints as an example) when getting that item off the shelf is preferable.

Especially sad to see Sears die.  Figured Craftsman alone would keep it afloat forever.  Guess we'll get to use Harbor Freight tools that tend to last 3-5 uses.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 02:43:13 pm »
It's true that online shopping is siphoning away business from the brick and mortar stores, but in the case of Sears,  the trouble arises from bad business decisions, shoddy merchandise and abysmal customer service.    Sears also killed itself when it got rid of catalog shopping. 

By the way, at the Sears store near me, there is a sign out front "WE'RE HIRING!"  For what I don't know. 

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 02:47:16 pm »
Figured Craftsman alone would keep it afloat forever.  Guess we'll get to use Harbor Freight tools that tend to last 3-5 uses.

Craftsman Brand was already sold.

Sears sells Craftsman to Stanley Black & Decker
http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/05/investing/sears-sells-craftsman-stanley-black-decker/
January 5, 2017

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 02:48:41 pm »
Because of the program, Kmart cashiers went from scanning 18 items a minute to just five, according to a former assistant manager at one store who left in 2012 after 12 years with the company. Some frustrated customers abandon their shopping carts, forcing employees to return all the goods back to shelves.

I was one of those people on 2 separate occasions at my local K-Mart.

BTW, my Sears and K-Marts do not look like post apocalyptic nightmares. They are fully stocked.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 03:55:38 pm »
Even as a teen in the 80's I could see that Sears, JCPenney and Kmart were going by the wayside, long before the internet. Walmart was already starting to eat them alive.

Online didn't kill Sears. Sears killed Sears. Complacement management, poor decisions, and a business model of a lumbering bureaucratic behemoth running on autopilot did it in.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 04:10:29 pm »
We bought a new TV at Christmas. Went to Sears. Nearly all the ones  they only had available were floor models-and were playing on the wall for 12 hours a day. Who would buy one of those even when they gave a one year warranty.  Sad, Sad. Sad. Ended up buying at HR Greg brand new unopened box.

The first TV HRGreg brought out, the box was opened and the protective shipping covering on the screen was removed and you could tell the TV was removed from the box at one time. No way I told the salesperson.

Our freezer went out and my wife did buy the floor model as it was dented and scratched and they took off $100 but it was never plugged in.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:12:27 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 04:32:25 pm »
The big plan he hoped would transform Sears was a rewards program called Shop Your Way, which the company introduced in 2009.

This sucked and I mean big league. The bozos slammed my Sears rewards together with my wife Kmart rewards. Then they never got my name right and we could never use our points. CS was useless to fix the problem. After years of not using it we lost the all vital pin and because account got messed up they can't tell us the pin. Since there's already an account on our phone number we can't just start a new account. And to top it off I don't a receipt roll of coupons as long as my arm for things I don't want.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 05:46:26 pm »

This sucked and I mean big league. The bozos slammed my Sears rewards together with my wife Kmart rewards. Then they never got my name right and we could never use our points. CS was useless to fix the problem. After years of not using it we lost the all vital pin and because account got messed up they can't tell us the pin. Since there's already an account on our phone number we can't just start a new account. And to top it off I don't a receipt roll of coupons as long as my arm for things I don't want.

Could it be that the executives and other people who designed the programs that the stores had to follow all had six or seven-figure incomes and didn't actually shop there?
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

geronl

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 06:07:28 pm »
Sears is stuck in 1955

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 06:13:47 pm »
Could it be that the executives and other people who designed the programs that the stores had to follow all had six or seven-figure incomes and didn't actually shop there?
Yep, Especially Kmart.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 08:52:53 pm »
We bought a new TV at Christmas. Went to Sears. Nearly all the ones  they only had available were floor models-and were playing on the wall for 12 hours a day. Who would buy one of those even when they gave a one year warranty.  Sad, Sad. Sad. Ended up buying at HR Greg brand new unopened box.

The first TV HRGreg brought out, the box was opened and the protective shipping covering on the screen was removed and you could tell the TV was removed from the box at one time. No way I told the salesperson.

Our freezer went out and my wife did buy the floor model as it was dented and scratched and they took off $100 but it was never plugged in.
We have bought major appliances at the local Sears Outlet many times over the years, always stayed away from returns and bought brand new scratch and dent articles, last one was a refrigerator which the new price was over $1000, we got it with sale discount for $550 out the door, the issue it had was one small scratch on the edge of the door. I will miss the Outlet when Sears folds, but that is all, I have bought the same quality tools at Home Depot for years at much lower cost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 10:28:00 pm »
BTW, my Sears and K-Marts do not look like post apocalyptic nightmares. They are fully stocked.

@Frank Cannon
I couldn't tell you.  I live in a large city, and it's a long drive to get to either because they closed all the stores in my corner of the metro area.  Let me ask you this:  Plenty of  clerks available?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 02:57:48 pm »
It's probably the same reason why Malls are in decline in general.

People are shifting to buying online, millennials, general demographic shifts.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 10:24:35 pm »
The series of bad decisions that lead to the death of Sears predates Lampert.  The first was killing the Sears Catalog in 1993.  It should have been moved online.  They had the infrastructure to do what Amazon started doing two years later already in place, but no, they went with brick-and-mortar stores all they way and abandoned shopping-from-home that they had pioneered.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 10:27:30 pm »
Sears is stuck in 1955

Nope.  They'd have been better off if they still had their 1955 business model.

In 1955 they had a shop-at-home arm called the Sears Catalog (or maybe that's long enough ago that it was still the Sears Roebuck Catalog).  They gave that up in 1993 when they should have taken it online instead of closing it down.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 11:37:11 pm »
My parents grew up on farms in the Great Depression.  Without Sears catalogs they'd have been wiping their butts on corncobs.  This...this is why Sears is failing.  No, don't ask, I will not be able to explain how this has led to the collapse of Sears in 2017.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 05:31:27 pm »
The series of bad decisions that lead to the death of Sears predates Lampert.  The first was killing the Sears Catalog in 1993.  It should have been moved online.  They had the infrastructure to do what Amazon started doing two years later already in place, but no, they went with brick-and-mortar stores all they way and abandoned shopping-from-home that they had pioneered.

Yep. What happened to Sears might make an interesting book. Here's an article from Investopedia. The authors claim that it was a combination of factors and less-than-stellar decisions / poor investments of company resources by Sears top executive(s).

http://www.investopedia.com/news/downfall-of-sears/

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 06:39:12 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 05:21:00 pm »
Craftsman Brand was already sold.

Sears sells Craftsman to Stanley Black & Decker
http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/05/investing/sears-sells-craftsman-stanley-black-decker/
January 5, 2017

Local Ace stores carry Craftsman stuff now.

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 05:41:37 pm »
Warren Buffet correctly called this waaaay back in 2005 when everyone was singing the praises of Sears new CEO. He said that hoping for or far worse, betting on the expansion of brick-and-mortar retail business that Sears specialized in was unwise just on GP. He said that if Sears succeeded with their new CEO's model it would be unprecedented. It wasn't and they didn't have more than a single year of profit growth after that- followed by more than a decade of declining profits including at least eight straight years of major losses.   

Perhaps learning to read the writing on walls is not part of a Harvard edumacation any more.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:44:03 pm by LateForLunch »

geronl

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 05:58:27 pm »
My parents grew up on farms in the Great Depression.  Without Sears catalogs they'd have been wiping their butts on corncobs.  This...this is why Sears is failing.  No, don't ask, I will not be able to explain how this has led to the collapse of Sears in 2017.

Montgomery Ward also had big, thick catalogs. I've seen one from 1895 or something, you could even order a memo pad through the mail for a nickel or a dime or something. Guns, wagons and just about anything delivered by mail.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 06:06:52 pm by geronl »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 06:16:35 pm »
Perhaps learning to read the writing on walls is not part of a Harvard edumacation any more.

It isn't. They don't teach students how to think ahead, in terms of processs and what happens from point A to point B anymore. It's all static model, on-paper thinking, not critical thinking and scenarios, action-reaction gaming and such.

The '07-08 crash is the perfect example. They had all these 25 y/o Ivy League whiz kids designing all these cleverly structured derivative bets. Problem is that their assumptions were, for example, that the markets would keep going up for the next 20 years, though that has never happened in history. And of course when the markets fell, all these firms had huge losses because their market plays crumbled before their eyes. But hey, they were smarter, cuz Ivy League school.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 06:34:40 pm »
It isn't. They don't teach students how to think ahead, in terms of processs and what happens from point A to point B anymore. It's all static model, on-paper thinking, not critical thinking and scenarios, action-reaction gaming and such.

The '07-08 crash is the perfect example. They had all these 25 y/o Ivy League whiz kids designing all these cleverly structured derivative bets. Problem is that their assumptions were, for example, that the markets would keep going up for the next 20 years, though that has never happened in history. And of course when the markets fell, all these firms had huge losses because their market plays crumbled before their eyes. But hey, they were smarter, cuz Ivy League school.

This is a general trend in business these days, it's been going on a long time and it's getting worse, not better.  The idea is, Whiz-Kids from college are better than grey-haired guys with decades of experience.  And the grey-hairs are starting to say "Eff you!" and retiring early in disgust.
I will NOT comply.

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 06:37:49 pm »

Which brings up another issue that might be more appropriate for a different thread - why did the SEC fall asleep at the wheel (or enable the whole mortgage-loan derivatives process) and how is it that so few (if any) of the big players in the whole AIG conspiracy to commit massive criminal negligence go to prison?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 07:28:16 pm »
Sears made some typical diversification attempts. They once owned Coldwell Banker real estate, for example.

People would walk into a Sears store, check out the towels, wander over to power tools, next washing machines, and wind up talking with an in-house Realtor.

Diversification, mergers & acquisitions have been the undoing of many a fine company.

I worked at Fluor, in the 70s and 80s. Fluor and other service companies are small, compared to the oil majors.

But nevertheless Fluor copied the bigs, and bought a major mineral-in-ground company. Went into major debt to do it, an historic first.

Over extended when within months, the economy and oil, mining, engineering & construction turned down majorly. Needless to say, the M & A department cleared out immediately when this debacle was underway.

A very tough few years followed, to get back on track. Lesson is "stick to the knitting."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln