Author Topic: Cosmopolitan Doesn’t Understand How The Constitution Works  (Read 382 times)

Online corbe

Cosmopolitan Doesn’t Understand How The Constitution Works
« on: March 23, 2017, 03:00:15 am »

Cosmopolitan’s Jill Filipovic has constructed an argument against originalism that should embarrass even the most disinterested of history students.

Daniel Payne
By Daniel Payne
March 22, 2017

Jill Filipovic’s latest essay at Cosmopolitan is like the Lernaean Hydra: it is almost impossible to know where or how to strike it, given its multi-headed absurdities. Every so often—really, quite often—there comes along a piece of political literature that is almost impossible to wrangle. Conceptually, factually, logically, aesthetically—everything about it is a total mess. This is what Filipovic has written and a number of Cosmo editors inexplicably, indefensibly green-lit.

“9 Reasons Constitutional Originalism is Bullsh*t,” Filipovic’s headline reads. We must be conscious of the possibility that Filipovic is not familiar with originalism and indeed had not even heard of the concept until someone told her about it sometime during the past six weeks or so. There is plenty of evidence throughout her essay to suggest as much, but I just want to focus on one example.

It’s her first example, where she confidently asserts: “No one is really an originalist.” This assumption informs several of her other assertions to varying degrees, including No. 6 (“Not even the founders were originalist”) and No. 8 (“No one really wants to live in an originalist country”).

Is originalism really a dead letter mode of constitutional interpretation? What evidence does Filipovic offer to suggest as much? She writes (and it’s worth quoting at length):

[No one is really an originalist.] No, not even Scalia, who decided plenty of cases according to his own whims and opinions. Take the District of Columbia v. Heller case, about a D.C. law restricting handgun ownership. Until recently, judges generally interpreted the Second Amendment according to the same narrow interpretation many historians say the founders held, as evidenced by the text itself: that the Second Amendment doesn’t give individuals the right to bear arms, but rather provides for the right of well-regulated militia to exist. There’s also significant historical evidence that the framers didn’t intend to protect individual rights to bear arms — when the Constitution was being created, several states proposed language that would have done just that, and they were rejected by the framers in favor of the militia language of the Second Amendment. Nor, of course, did handguns exist in the 18th century. But the ‘originalists’ on the Supreme Court nevertheless interpreted the Second Amendment as protecting an individual right to handgun ownership, flying in the face of the text itself and the founders’ intentions. The same issue has come up in cases relating to corporate speech in the form of political donations — when the founders penned the First Amendment, did they really intend for corporate entities to be deemed ‘people’ under the law, and for the First Amendment’s broad protections of speech to encompass a corporation’s unfettered ability to give money to politicians? Never mind; originalists say their impartial reading of the text and history of the Constitution is right, and the more liberal legal minds who also say they are impartially reading the text and history are wrong. It turns out people disagree about the precise meaning of words and sentences, and history is not clear on exactly how the founding fathers believed their words should be applied to conflicts and circumstances they couldn’t even imagine. It also turns out even judges will twist and shape-shift their allegedly consistent legal philosophies to get the outcome they want.

There is so much historical and juridical illiteracy here that it almost takes your breath away. Now, Filipovic is a graduate of New York University Law. Evidently she is not stupid, and it is worth assuming she is quite bright and capable. Yet she has constructed an argument against originalism that should embarrass even the most disinterested of history or law students. None of this makes sense. Right out of the gate her thesis crashes and burns.

The Truth About the Second Amendment

Filipovic’s first assertion, that D.C. v. Heller “[flew] the face of the text [of the Second Amendment] itself and the founders’ intentions,” is wrong. It is incredibly wrong, demonstrably so and with just a modest amount of historical research.

As I have written before, the Second Amendment has absolutely nothing to do with “the right of well-regulated militias to exist.” Indeed, under the current Constitution, Second Amendment and all, the federal government possesses near-total control over the state militias.

Put another way, Filipovic claims that the Second Amendment grants militias the “right” to “exist,” but under the current constitutional order, the militia actually has no right to exist at all. How on earth, then, could the Second Amendment grant a “right” to militias when that right does not exist? It couldn’t possibly.

This is self-evident and uncontroversial: both the structure and the plain wording of the Constitution make this clear, as does the majority’s opinion in Heller. If, then, the Second Amendment does not concern itself with state militias, what does it concern itself with? The answer is contained within the amendment itself: the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

Yet in Jill Filipovic’s world, the Constitution simultaneously grants and repeals the states’ right to maintain a militia—a synchronous constitutional authorization/prohibition the likes of which has never been affirmed or even acknowledged by any judge in the history of the republic.

Additionally, Filipovic’s assertion that “handguns [didn’t] exist in the 18th century” is a flat-out falsehood. Handguns have been in use since the fourteenth century, 400 years before the Constitution was drafted. (Subsequently, Cosmopolitan published a correction that read, in part, “The author was referring to the type of modern handguns at issue in the Heller case,” which is a bizarre and roundabout way of making the irrelevant point that a style of gun invented in the late 1800s didn’t exist in the late 1700s. The explanation also gives a context that is nowhere even hinted in the original article.)

Who allowed this utterly nonsensical rubbish to go to press? What exactly is going on over at Cosmopolitan that they permitted this logical travesty to see the light of day?

The Truth About The First Amendment

<..snip..>

Perhaps we should not be too harsh. Cosmopolitan is a magazine whose stock in trade revolves mostly around oral sex and creative uses for bubbles. Just the same: it’s 2017. We have the Internet, and we have well-funded and well-stocked public libraries and bookstores. There’s no excuse for this kind of hackery, particularly for someone as educated as Filipovic. It’s just embarrassing.

Daniel Payne is a senior contributor at The Federalist. He currently runs the blog Trial of the Century, and lives in Virginia.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Cosmopolitan Doesn’t Understand How The Constitution Works
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 03:19:22 am »

This is true, but they have the best sex tips EVER!

11 of the worst Cosmo sex tips of all time

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/20/11-of-the-worst-cosmo-sex-tips-of-all-time-nsfw/#ixzz4c7DSMDFD

I’m really not sure how else Cosmo comes up with some horribly hilarious sex tips. Here are 11 of the worst:

11. Feed each other ice cream [in the dark]. Not being able to see means more spilling, which means more licking up the mess.

This seems like it would be incredibly messy for no reason at all.

10. Use “your electric toothbrush” or “your iPhone [when your vibrator is out of batteries].”

Um. If you do this, please never lend anyone your phone. Ever.

9. Record your voice on your cell the next time you have a solo session. Then, send him the audio file in the middle of the day, with just the text, “Wanna hear me do this tonight?”

This is a great idea! Especially if your boyfriend/ spouse works in, say, a newsroom or in a cubicle and not an office with a door.

8. Keep a paddlebrush, a soft scarf, and a baseball (yes, a baseball) on your bedside table. While he’s on top, alternate between scratching his back and butt with the bristles of the brush, stroking him with the scarf, and rolling the baseball over his skin.

Just because baseball is the most popular sport to make sex metaphors out of does not mean you need to literally have a baseball present during your nighttime activities.

7.  Dip your breasts in edible body paint, and use them to ‘sponge paint’ his entire body. Then lick it off.

Even if you are into freaky stuff, this would be super awkward.

6. Sprinkle a little pepper under his nose right before he climaxes. Sneezing can feel similar to an orgasm and amplify the feel-good effects.

To be fair, this was a reader submission. But Cosmo actually printed it for people to read and do at home.

5. Pop his socks in the microwave for twenty seconds, then slip them on him. It will make him burn with pleasure.

Having warm socks will not make your husband want to have sex with you. It will make him want to fall asleep by a fire.

4. Press a fork (firmly, but don’t break the skin or anything) into different parts of his body — his butt cheeks, his pecs, his thighs.

Your boyfriend is not the edge of a pie crust. Why do we need to bring sharp objects into this?

3. Give him a beer facial — the combination of the egg white and the yeast in the hops hydrates and improves skin elasticity… but you can just tell him that your lips can’t resist his delicious, beer-flavored face.

There is absolutely NO. WAY. they are for real about this. There’s just no way.

2. Heat up some massage oil, and put it into a turkey baster. Then use the baster to draw shapes, spell out naughty words, or create trails on his body — from his neck, over his arms, then down his back, butt, and legs.

If someone ever brought a turkey baster into the bedroom, the other party would run screaming.

1. When fondling his manhood, slip a hair scrunchy around the base of it. The tight scrunchy combined with your touch creates an amazing sensation.

This sex “tip” was in an issue of Cosmo back when I was in high school and I still remember it to this day. That’s how mind-blowingly terrible and hilarious it is.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 06:07:58 am »
Well, @Frank Cannon I'm glad they only got the tips in. If they had gone into it in depth, there would be a lot of damaged people out there. :nometalk:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:28:28 pm »
Well, @Frank Cannon I'm glad they only got the tips in. If they had gone into it in depth, there would be a lot of damaged people out there. :nometalk:

LOL.

Online LMAO

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 12:36:52 am »
Anybody who would read Cosmopolitan for history and lessons in the Constitution needs to be studied
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 12:41:48 am »
They should stick to telling women how to please their men.  :silly: