Author Topic: The FBI is still struggling to employ hackers because they’re all smoking weed  (Read 277 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Weed, low pay, and a lack of female employees, are what's leaving the US susceptible to cyber attacks.

In its latest published report on the nation's cyber security strategy (2015), the US department of justice found that 40 per cent of FBI cyber security positions were unfilled.

The report found that:

The FBI did not hire 52 of the 134 computer scientists for which it was authorised; and five of the 56 field offices did not have a computer scientist assigned to that office’s Cyber Task Force.

The gap between candidates and job postings is only likely to grow, given the predicted boom in cyber security jobs that consultants Frost and Sullivan claim will outstrip the number of qualified experts by 2020.

A draft of a new executive orders on cyber security was published in the Washington Post, ordering a review of 'Workforce Development' which focused on changes to the education curriculum and the department of Education.

A more pressing problem for the FBI is the President's executive order from January which has prolonged the current hiring freeze in the federal government.
Marijuana

One of the main problems for the bureau appears to be weed.

A human resources official explained in the 2015 report that while 5000 persons may apply to the FBI's cyber security division, only 2000 will meet the eligibility requirements.

The marijuana problem was highlighted by Motherboard in 2014, when FBI director James Comey (who has since gone on to make bigger and bolder headlines) made remarks that were quoted in the Wall Street Journal.

More: https://www.indy100.com/article/fbi-cyber-security-hiring-marijuana-weed-pot-smoke-7642821

This was a candidate for Ridiculous News, but I think the underlying problem is important enough to get it's own thread.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Note: The site is throwing up some password page. It's most likely harmless, and can be dismissed easily enough (red X, not cancel) but if you wish to be cautious, don't click through.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online corbe

Comey should consider out-sourcing this to Amsterdam.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley