Author Topic: Top Climate Alarm “Scientist”: Get Rid of Cars, Coal, Steel — or It's the End of the World  (Read 779 times)

rangerrebew

Monday, 20 March 2017
Top Climate Alarm “Scientist”: Get Rid of Cars, Coal, Steel — or It's the End of the World
Written by  William F. Jasper

Professor Hans Joachim Schellnhuber (shown) wants to take us back to the Stone Age — literally. In a March 15 interview with the German newspaper Deutsche Welle, the German physicist declared that global warming is so serious that not only must we all give up the use of coal and our internal combustion vehicles in the next 13 years, but we must also ditch concrete and steel — for “wood, clay and stone.” If we don’t do this, along with other drastic measures, we are headed toward planetary warming of “4, 5, 6 or even 12 degrees,” he claims. This would bring, he insists, “the end of the world as we know it.”

Asked by Deutsche Welle where we stand now with regard to “the world’s carbon budget,” Schellnhuber responded: “It's quite mind-boggling — for example, by 2030, we have to phase out the combustion engine. And we have to completely phase out the use of coal for producing power. By 2040 we will probably have to replace concrete and steel for construction by wood, clay and stone.”

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/environment/item/25630-top-climate-alarm-scientist-get-rid-of-cars-coal-steel-or-its-end-of-the-world
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:27:06 pm by rangerrebew »

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I would not be surprised to discover that Professor Schellnhuber drives a Mercedes...

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
If one follows the alarmist logic, what other conclusion can one come to than the one he states? Indeed, if the projections were accurate, perhaps even the end of civilization as we know it might not be enough to stop the chain reactions of melting permafrosts, released methanes and runaway warming. The alarmists have unwittingly created a scenario that, contrary to being controllable as they seek, has instead posed the opposite. If it took 100+ years of industrialization to get to the point we are now with the climate, the accumulated effects are already too great to stop even by the most draconian measures outlined here.

In other words, regardless of which way you look at it, policy changes designed to mitigate or stop climate change are simply a waste of our time.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
The AGW crew is just another apocalyptic cult.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
I would not be surprised to discover that Professor Schellnhuber drives a Mercedes...
I miss the days when these folks at least would get a Yugo to prove how much they loved the world or whatever.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

The funniest thing is, that these guys are serious. And they truly believe that we care about what they are saying. They really don't know that we think of them as ridiculous fools.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 06:18:04 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

geronl

to make that work, we'd need to kill off more than 6 billion people

Offline r9etb

Details, details.....  And somehow guys like this Schellnhuber fellow are never the first to volunteer to do their part.

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

His ilk would happily do that if they could
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
So we have to give up concrete and switch to wood, clay or stone.  Presumably because concrete supposedly gives off CO2.  Concrete is made of stone, water and cement. 

The shame isn't that there are such idiots out there.   The shame is that he hasn't been institutionalized.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I miss the days when these folks at least would get a Yugo to prove how much they loved the world or whatever.

In a Yugo...(in a Yugo!)

Seriously though, all these environuts - all I ask for them to have credibility and be taken seriously is to go out in the wilderness for one year, alone. Grow and kill all your food, make your own shelter, find your own water, heat and cool said shelter only by natural means. Everything is made, gathered, processed, and procured by you. No tech, no electricity, no modern comforts, totally self-sufficient, no outside help.

If you survive that, then come back to me and say we need to go back to the 1800's.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:06:10 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline r9etb

So we have to give up concrete and switch to wood, clay or stone.  Presumably because concrete supposedly gives off CO2.  Concrete is made of stone, water and cement. 

The shame isn't that there are such idiots out there.   The shame is that he hasn't been institutionalized.

Moreover, if you build with concrete and no rebar.....

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
When ice ages reseeded in the past, people moved north to populate what is now Europe. When ice ages returned people moved back south.

I doubt such simple solutions would occur to people today. A receding ice age is like global warming. So move north.

If sea levels rise, move inland and/or to higher elevations.

Where is the line drawn, that we are incapable of common sense adaptations, such as those made by our ancestors?

I have some 1st-3rd cousins in British Columbia and Yukon territory. Strikingly beautiful places.

Bring it on. The adventurous like my family have been will move, leaving behind the risk-averse to die slow deaths.

If it gets warmer, another alternative to moving north, is moving to higher elevations. The state with the highest mean elevation is Colorado. We ought to be safe there, for another few hundred million years.

Goodbye NYC, Lost Angeles, Houston, Chicago, Miami, Seattle, Portland, DC, and hello Flagstaff at 7400 ft. elevation.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

geronl

In a Yugo...(in a Yugo!)

Seriously though, all these environuts - all I ask for them to have credibility and be taken seriously is to go out in the wilderness for one year, alone. Grow and kill all your food, make your own shelter, find your own water, heat and cool said shelter only by natural means. Everything is made, gathered, processed, and procured by you. No tech, no electricity, no modern comforts, totally self-sufficient, no outside help.

If you survive that, then come back to me and say we need to go back to the 1800's.

No dumpster diving? No reusing old blue tarps for a roof?

Offline Joe Wooten

In a Yugo...(in a Yugo!)

1800's hell, this is all the way back to 4000 BC, long before the use of copper and any other metal. Yeah, I want to see these idiots try to survive in a true wilderness area with no food, tools or clothing they cannot make themselves from naturally available materials. No using any domesticated animals and specially bred food plants.