Author Topic: Young Central Texas barrel racer dies in freak accident  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Young Central Texas barrel racer dies in freak accident
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 05:22:33 pm »
Sad story. Prayers for the family.
Went out with her boots on, has to count for something.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2017, 06:15:49 pm »
As a rider, and the parent of a barrel racer, I would have to say you are correct.

You are right.

Like dogs, I think they have an intelligence level of about a 3 year old.

Very sad story,
I love the Caldwell area.

As a 12 year old, I was thrown from my horse in the middle of a parade, right to the asphalt.
Spooky, but the worse for me was being stiff for 2 weeks, nothing broken.
I got lucky.

I few years later, I was riding with some inexperienced riders, who decided to run have the horses run through a plowed field.
Bad idea.
I barely got the "N" out of the word "Noooooo!!" when, sure enough, one horse stumbled and threw my Uncle's girl friend head first.
She seemed fine, but later in life had neck issues and had to have surgery, due to the incident.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2017, 08:32:10 pm »
I don't know this one in particular.  Most of the time, at this young age, we mostly see horses so gentle and well trained there is little effort at all required.  There are exceptions certainly, but we have even seen kids fall off and the horse complete the pattern without the rider.

The majority at this lower competitive level (as this event was) are not that high strung horse (like my daughter's freakout horse).
I have seen parents so competitive they would take a riskier bet on a quicker horse for their child.

That is what I am most concerned about.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2017, 08:36:21 pm »
I have seen parents so competitive they would take a riskier bet on a quicker horse for their child.

Yes, but it's a "freak accident" meaning that occurrences are rare.

Offline thackney

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 08:38:00 pm »

No doubt those parents exist in every sport.  I haven't found them common in the youth rodeos of this area.  I have seen people thrown out of competitions for unsafe or inhumane treatment of their horse.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2017, 08:41:25 pm »

One other thing we have learned with experience.  The fastest times are NOT the fastest horse.  It is the best controlled horse in the turns.

I don't care how fast a horse is in the straight.  An about average horse making perfect turns is faster than a speed demon wide and sloppy in the turns.

A kid that has trouble controlling a fast horse isn't going to win at most competition for this reason.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 08:43:23 pm »
One other thing we have learned with experience.  The fastest times are NOT the fastest horse.  It is the best controlled horse in the turns.

I don't care how fast a horse is in the straight.  An about average horse making perfect turns is faster than a speed demon wide and sloppy in the turns.

A kid that has trouble controlling a fast horse isn't going to win at most competition for this reason.
That's why I said 'quick' and not 'fast'.

A child, and a ten year old is indeed one, is just less capable of steering a horse bred for competition.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2017, 08:45:44 pm »
Everything has risk and it is horrific and sad when something like this happens.  Farm kids operate power equipment.  I introduced my boys to firearms at a very early age.  Little league has its risks.  Football.  Simply walking to school.  It is so sad to lose a child but we can't put them in bubble wrap.  Prayers for the family.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline thackney

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2017, 09:07:16 pm »
That's why I said 'quick' and not 'fast'.

A child, and a ten year old is indeed one, is just less capable of steering a horse bred for competition.

You have a great day.  God Bless

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2017, 10:17:54 pm »

It's just me, but that girls are probably safer with horses than they will ever be with cars as teenagers.
It was that way with my cousin. She'd been on horses (by herself) since she could reach the stirrups. She got a pony. :laugh: and was a consummate rider. It was her old Buick that ended her riding career.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis