Author Topic: Medal of Honor Recipient Details a Counterattack Saving a Combat Outpost from Taliban Fighters  (Read 186 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
With small arms gunfire, mortar rounds and Rocket Propelled Grenades from hundreds of Taliban firing into a small U.S. Army outpost in Northeastern Afghanistan, Staff Sgt. Clint Romesha asked his fellow soldiers if there were any volunteers to help him lead a counterattack to take back the front gate.

He was surprised by the response -- a powerful moment of truth which he would later call the proudest moment of his Army career.

Their outpost had been overrun, Army soldiers had been killed, remaining fighters had been unable to get to ammunition supplies and Taliban fighters had breached the front gate, Romesha explained.

“I said I need a group of volunteers. Five guys who did not even know what the plan was and did not know what I was about to ask stood up with pure grit and determination and said they would follow me anywhere. I told them the counterattack plan,” Romesha told Scout Warrior in an interview.

[excerpted]

http://www.scout.com/military/warrior/story/1672692-2009-soldier-massive-counterattack-on-taliban?s=349
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.