Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE: Sectarian militias have no place in Iraq, says Muqtada al-Sadr  (Read 698 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:

EXCLUSIVE: Sectarian militias have no place in Iraq, says Muqtada al-Sadr
Mahdi army leader turned Iraqi peacemaker speaks to MEE of disbanding militias, defeating IS ... and welcoming Brexit

He also said he favours urgent dialogue with Iraq's Sunni politicians so as to prevent clashes between Sunni and Shia, as well as Arabs and Kurds, once the country no longer has an enemy to unite against.

"I'm afraid that the defeat of Daesh [Islamic State] is only the start of a new phase. My proposal is inspired by fear of sectarian and ethnic conflict after Mosul's liberation," he said.

"I want to avoid this. I am very proud of Iraq's diversity but my fear is that we may see a genocide of some ethnic or sectarian groups."

The interview took place in the upper floor of Sadr's two-storey home in Najaf, a pilgrimage city which houses the shrine of Imam Ali, sacred to Shias around the world.

Continued: http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/muqtada-al-sadr-iraq-1637609574

Curious turn, he was a heavy bad guy back then.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Says the guy who heads a sectarian militia...
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I'm surprised he was still alive.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline The_Reader_David

Interesting.

Of course, he is a Shi'ite, and Shia Islam is more-or-less a normal religion (unlike Sunni Islam, which, when taken seriously in its natural form with a Caliph, is a totalitarian political system with religious underpinnings).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Interesting.

Of course, he is a Shi'ite, and Shia Islam is more-or-less a normal religion (unlike Sunni Islam, which, when taken seriously in its natural form with a Caliph, is a totalitarian political system with religious underpinnings).

Isn't Iran Shia?

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Shiites do seem gentler but for some reason, really do have it in for Israel and have attacked Jews in Argentina, those were Shias, continue a war on Israel's border.

Offline The_Reader_David

Isn't Iran Shia?

Yes, but their government is enthralled to a minority sect that thinks it possible to hasten the end-times.  And even the Iranian revolutionaries didn't go for full on unity between religion and state which is the norm in Sunni tradition -- the Caliph is the ruler and the chief interpreter of religious law (which is all their clergy really are) -- but set up a democratic republic that runs day-to-day government, with a theocratic parallel structure that limits who is allowed to run for office and runs a secret police.

Nor do Shi'ites living in Iran typically regard the state religious structure as authoritative on religious matters.  Shi'ites chose a particular Ayatollah or Mullah they regard as their "point of reference" on matters of religion and morals and try to follow his fatwas. The most popular even in Iran for years has been the Grand Ayatollah Al Sistani in Iraq, who, on the one hand issues bizarre medieval-sounding rulings on matters ranging from personal hygiene to sex (well, what do you expect, he is a traditional Muslim jurist), and on the other was influential in getting the Iraqis to accept the American-written constitution for Iraq when some of his countrymen objected to super-majority provisions in it as "infidel trick".  Al Sistani wisely observed that super-majority provisions were a feature of the American Constitution, and that they were actually a benefit we were giving Iraq. 

That feature of Shia Islam, alone, that individual believers pick which religious authority to follow (a rather anti-totalitarian feature -- by definition there is no one central authority dictating on religious matters), along with the fact that the Shi'ites venerate notable religious figures from the past, and have large numbers of pilgrimage sites, not just Mecca, is why I regard Shia Islam as more-or-less a normal religion.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Isn't Iran Shia?

Primarily yes.

Generally I prefer Shiites over Suni muslims but there are plenty of nutcases among the Shiites. Unfortunately the nuttiest Shiites of them all are running Iran. They're the 12ers who think its their destiny to call forth the Mahdi who will climb up out of a well and cleanse the world in blood.

Muqtada al-Sadr should have been exterminated when we had the chance but we made some kind of deal to keep him alive.