Author Topic: Meet Sesame Street's First Character with Autism: 'We Want to Create Greater Awareness and Empathy'  (Read 967 times)

Offline Suppressed

Meet Sesame Street's First Character with Autism: 'We Want to Create Greater Awareness and Empathy'
BY ROSE MINUTAGLIO•@ROSEMINUTAGLIO
POSTED ON OCTOBER 21, 2015 AT 9:25AM EDT
http://people.com/celebrity/sesame-street-introduces-first-character-with-autism/

Fuzzy favorites Grover, Abby and Elmo are joined by their newest muppet pal, Julia, a character with autism, in Sesame Street Workshop‘s new nationwide initiative.

Launched Wednesday morning, Sesame Street and Autism: See Amazing in All Children aims to reduce “the stigma of autism” with the introduction of the first muppet with autism.

Excerpt.  Read more at http://people.com/celebrity/sesame-street-introduces-first-character-with-autism/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I saw this on 60 minutes

As someone with autism I applaud this, even though I stopped watching Sesame Street several decades ago.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I saw this on 60 minutes

As someone with autism I applaud this, even though I stopped watching Sesame Street several decades ago.
People have suspected that I have Asperger syndrome. I did visit a psychiatrist once as a teenager. I don't know if he ever gave me a formal diagnosis, and besides, there are certain aspects of the syndrome that don't quite fit me. (I've still lost opportunities over it; once was told I'd never be a leader because I was too awkward on stage and since he heard I had Asperger's he assumed I'd never be able to get it. After a few weeks, he partially backed down.)

The autism spectrum is very broad. It'd be difficult to portray a character with a "typical" case of autism.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I will add one other thing: the fact that Sesame Street is still able to do the kind of research and input into their show that they're renowned for doing, all with virtually no public funding, is a huge indictment of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting's system and how unnecessary it has become.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
The night orderly who helped get me ready for bed last night has a 12 year old low functioning autistic son.

He said he thought this character was a good thing to help people understand his child.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online DB

This sounds like a good thing to do.

My English teacher in high school told me I was autistic (the only person to do so). I later got even by marrying his daughter...

Offline NavyCanDo

People have suspected that I have Asperger syndrome. I did visit a psychiatrist once as a teenager. I don't know if he ever gave me a formal diagnosis, and besides, there are certain aspects of the syndrome that don't quite fit me. (I've still lost opportunities over it; once was told I'd never be a leader because I was too awkward on stage and since he heard I had Asperger's he assumed I'd never be able to get it. After a few weeks, he partially backed down.)

The autism spectrum is very broad. It'd be difficult to portray a character with a "typical" case of autism.

My son who is now 15 has Aspergers which they now call Autism Spectrum Disorder. You are correct it does effect kids in different ways, but in almost all cases they appear awkward to thier classmates, and have few friends outside of maybe a few like them they hang out with at lunch. It was heartbreaking in elementary school when he would pass out a classroom full of Birthday party invites and nobody comes.  At Christmas when other kids ask Santa for a new X-box, he's asking for a fire alarm pull station and a specific model of one and he knows all the models.
 I think its a good thing to introduce kids early to this dissorder, so maybe they can understand the boy or girl sitting next to them, and relate better.

And I'm pleased to see the conversation here on TBR is staying intellegent. The same topic posted on TOS would get ugly fast, someone denying the condition exist or some other stupid insulting comment.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:45:02 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn