Author Topic: 10 Reasons Why You Should Own a Revolver  (Read 14677 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Own a Revolver
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 11:06:08 pm »
IF, you're married and the wife isn't a gunner, Revolvers don't have a Safety catch.

If she needs it, so long as you've loaded it, . . .

No matter how intense the adrenaline rush its point and squeeze the trigger.

KISS.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2017, 11:17:17 pm »

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2017, 11:40:11 pm »
@txradioguy

I own three revolvers, plus an armory of numerous kinds which I won't list.  I also have, in excellent condition, a Springfield rifle of the civil war era.   I also own a Ruger PINK 22LR rifle.  Yes, it is PINK and it is mine.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 12:06:19 am »
@txradioguy

I own three revolvers, plus an armory of numerous kinds which I won't list.  I also have, in excellent condition, a Springfield rifle of the civil war era.   I also own a Ruger PINK 22LR rifle.  Yes, it is PINK and it is mine.
888high58888 on the armory. No pink here, though I think that it is neat you have one (just some greens and light browns).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2017, 12:07:22 am »

KISS.
I agree. It lowers the GFF considerably.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 11:33:23 am »
@txradioguy

My oldest daughter has a pink 10/22.

I'm off today so I'm going to go revolver shopping. I really want the RIA M206 .38 but I may end up with the Taurus .38. Seems all the dealers around here for in a shipment and they are selling them dirt cheap.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 02:35:05 pm »
My oldest daughter has a pink 10/22.

I'm off today so I'm going to go revolver shopping. I really want the RIA M206 .38 but I may end up with the Taurus .38. Seems all the dealers around here for in a shipment and they are selling them dirt cheap.

I sure like my Taurus.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 03:29:30 pm »
I sure like my Taurus.

Is it the Model 85?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 03:33:38 pm »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 03:39:18 pm »
It is.

Ok that makes me feel a little better about getting one.

Is it a pretty straight shooter?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 03:41:59 pm »
Ok that makes me feel a little better about getting one.

Is it a pretty straight shooter?

I repeatedly hit a small target from 25'. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 03:46:43 pm »
I repeatedly hit a small target from 25'.

Well looks like I just have to decide now if I want the nickel or the blued finish.

Thank you for the info.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:48:12 pm by txradioguy »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 04:28:48 pm »
Well looks like I just have to decide now if I want the nickel or the blued finish.

Thank you for the info.

@txradioguy

Do yourself a favor and get one with a 3 inch barrel,a groove on the top strap for a rear sight, and a hammer shroud or bobbed hammer. Don't waste your money on 357 Mag snubbies. You will never get magnum velocities out of one,and you will end up shooting 38 Specials in a larger and heavier gun than a 38 Special.

The one below seems like a likely suspect if you insist on a Taurus pocket revolver. I personally wouldn't  have one with a barrel shorter than 3 inches if you gave it to me,but everybody has their own ideas of what is good.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=843&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

If it were ME,I'd be looking at a Charter Arms 44 Special with a 3 inch barrel,or a used S&W snubbie with a steel,NOT alloy,frame,or a used Colt Detective Special. You can buy hammer shrouds to add to either. Stay away from alloy revolvers. I quit gunsmithing 20+  years ago so they might be better now,but back then it took no time at all to shoot enough shots at the range to destroy the cylinder timing. You only save a few ounces,so it's not worth the risk or the expense of having it corrected.

Yeah,Colt makes a modern version of the Detective Special,but they want 700 bucks for the damn thing.

Here are links to a couple of Charter Arms revolvers you might want to consider. I know nothing about the quality of current Charter Arms (or Colt or S&W AFATG) revolvers,but you can haunt a few web pages and find out what shooters are saying.

https://charterfirearms.com/collections/undercover/products/73811-undercover-stainless-dao

And below is the 44 Special version. I ALWAYS prefer a 44 Special over a 38 Special. I am a big fan of big,heavy,slow bullets that don't exit for self defense.

https://charterfirearms.com/collections/bulldog/products/74410-bulldog-on-duty-ss-standard

BTW,if you can find a almost new or unfired Rossi 721 44 Special,snatch that SOB up if you can afford it. That is the gun I have carried the most for the last 20 years or so,and I shoot the heads off of running snakes with it. So slick right out of the box new that I have never even bothered to  pull the side plate to tune it up. I literally woudn't sell mine for $2000 unless I was absolutely positive I could buy another one that same day. Maybe not then. Unfortunately,Taurus bought out Rossi and quit manufacturing the Rossi 44 Special that was smaller and smoother than the 3 inch 44 Special they designed. I think I paid right at $210 for mine new,and it's stainless. :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:33:17 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2017, 05:17:01 pm »
@txradioguy

Do yourself a favor and get one with a 3 inch barrel,a groove on the top strap for a rear sight, and a hammer shroud or bobbed hammer. Don't waste your money on 357 Mag snubbies. You will never get magnum velocities out of one,and you will end up shooting 38 Specials in a larger and heavier gun than a 38 Special.

The one below seems like a likely suspect if you insist on a Taurus pocket revolver. I personally wouldn't  have one with a barrel shorter than 3 inches if you gave it to me,but everybody has their own ideas of what is good.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=843&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

If it were ME,I'd be looking at a Charter Arms 44 Special with a 3 inch barrel,or a used S&W snubbie with a steel,NOT alloy,frame,or a used Colt Detective Special. You can buy hammer shrouds to add to either. Stay away from alloy revolvers. I quit gunsmithing 20+  years ago so they might be better now,but back then it took no time at all to shoot enough shots at the range to destroy the cylinder timing. You only save a few ounces,so it's not worth the risk or the expense of having it corrected.

Yeah,Colt makes a modern version of the Detective Special,but they want 700 bucks for the damn thing.

Here are links to a couple of Charter Arms revolvers you might want to consider. I know nothing about the quality of current Charter Arms (or Colt or S&W AFATG) revolvers,but you can haunt a few web pages and find out what shooters are saying.

https://charterfirearms.com/collections/undercover/products/73811-undercover-stainless-dao

And below is the 44 Special version. I ALWAYS prefer a 44 Special over a 38 Special. I am a big fan of big,heavy,slow bullets that don't exit for self defense.

https://charterfirearms.com/collections/bulldog/products/74410-bulldog-on-duty-ss-standard

BTW,if you can find a almost new or unfired Rossi 721 44 Special,snatch that SOB up if you can afford it. That is the gun I have carried the most for the last 20 years or so,and I shoot the heads off of running snakes with it. So slick right out of the box new that I have never even bothered to  pull the side plate to tune it up. I literally woudn't sell mine for $2000 unless I was absolutely positive I could buy another one that same day. Maybe not then. Unfortunately,Taurus bought out Rossi and quit manufacturing the Rossi 44 Special that was smaller and smoother than the 3 inch 44 Special they designed. I think I paid right at $210 for mine new,and it's stainless. :laugh:

:thumbsup:

Offline Idiot

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2017, 06:03:40 pm »
Revolvers are beautiful guns.  My first time shooting a revolver was a .22.  Silly me....I used my left hand to steady the gun and put it up by the cylinder.  When it fired.....YIKES that smarted.  Glad it wasn't a .357 or the such...would have left a mark, or one less finger.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2017, 08:42:22 pm »
Revolvers are beautiful guns.  My first time shooting a revolver was a .22.  Silly me....I used my left hand to steady the gun and put it up by the cylinder.  When it fired.....YIKES that smarted.  Glad it wasn't a .357 or the such...would have left a mark, or one less finger.

@mrpotatohead

The cylinder timing was off and,the pawl or notch in the cylinder was worn,or the barrel gap was too large or that wouldn't have happened. Especially not in a 22. Lot of times that crap is caused by people playing "tv cop" or "tv cowboy" and spinning the cylinder rapidly while slamming it in place. NEVER press the cylinder release and "snap the cylinder open" and NEVER spin it and "slap it shut". Both disturb the cylinder lock and can bend the rod and damage the catch. Open the cylinder and lean the gun to the left and it will swing open all by itself. Close it gently,and most of these problems will never happen.

If the barrel/cylinder seem to have too much of a gap and you see evidence of powder on the outside of the barrel cone or cylinder,take it to a competent gunsmith and have him check and adjust the gap if necessary. This involves removing metal from the barrel shoulder and setting it back deeper a thread of two.  How much depends on how much erosion there is on the forcing cone. He will need to set it back far enough to eliminate any erosion to the face of the forcing cone. Not real complicated,but it is something  you will want a pro to do to make sure he takes it apart and puts it back together without springing the frame. Yes,it is a "special tools" job.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2017, 12:43:37 am »
My Ruger Single Six 22, when new, spit lead. It had a burr on the forcing cone. Once I took that burr off, it was one sweet shooting gun.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 12:51:09 am »
@txradioguy

One time some of us on a job site were talking about shooting and the guns we had when someone listening in asked disdainfully just how many guns did we need. I think we all answered at once with who said anything about needing? Myself, I have only two revolvers both .357 and both in six inch. My favorite to shoot is my Colt Trooper MkIII, older but rock solid and accurate. I do want to pick up a snub nose in .357 either hammerless or shrouded for pocket carry. I really miss going out to the desert to plink, here in California it's a long drive nowadays to go shooting in the outdoors, not like it was in the 70's and 80's 8black day

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 12:57:20 am »
11.  There is no such thing as an automatic that NEVER jams.

Amen...  No. 1 by far.  I want to make sure that there is a 100.00% chance my fire arm does not misfire.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 01:50:46 am »
someone listening in asked disdainfully just how many guns did we need. I think we all answered at once with who said anything about needing?

Shotgun for birds
Low caliber rifle for varmints
Scoped high powered rifle for distance (elk, sheep, goats, antelope)
High caliber carbine for brush (Deer, bear, moose)
High caliber sidearm for protection
Low caliber sidearm for trap dispatch
Sawed-off shotgun for home protection and short range varmint control
at least two medium caliber hidey-guns for protection
and at least two medium to high caliber pistols hidden in the home in case of surprise.

Those are needed.
The rest are actually superfluous with regard to day-to-day, or are variations of the above particular to specialty.

Here's a question for all y'all:

Let's say you were limited to TWO. Lets say you're dropped off in the middle of nowhere, a week away from anything, and could only pick TWO guns to get you home... WHICH?

I think I'd have to say 12ga pump shotgun with a variety of shells, and a long barreled 22 pistol.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2017, 01:58:16 am »

I learned to shoot with a full sized 357 -  shooting a .38 load.  That was an awesome gun. Having said that I still prefer my semi auto.  I recommend a revolver to my friends who have not had a lot of experience shooting - much simpler and not much to remember except which end to hold and which end is the loud one.
God is still in control

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2017, 02:08:14 am »

Let's say you were limited to TWO. Lets say you're dropped off in the middle of nowhere, a week away from anything, and could only pick TWO guns to get you home... WHICH?

I think I'd have to say 12ga pump shotgun with a variety of shells, and a long barreled 22 pistol.

I could go with your choice. My 22 pistol would be my scoped 22 K-Hornet Contender.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2017, 02:57:16 am »
I could go with your choice. My 22 pistol would be my scoped 22 K-Hornet Contender.

It's a tough nut. I don't want to even think of being without my 45/70 in the sticks... But in reality, A 12 ga slug is more formidable, albeit at closer range, and it is also versatile, providing one has a selection of shells.

Likewise, I cringe at the thought of my .45 being absent - I honestly don't know if I could sleep, that pistol being always present beside my pillow... But I can bark a skwerl, or knock the eye out of a grouse or chink with a 22... Anything up to and probably including a deer is fair game for it... It is quite likely that even of the two, the 22 would wind up being the meat-getter.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2017, 03:16:07 am »

No brainer. MAG 7 shotgun (both if I'm allowed them, got a twin rig that goes on my back) and a Sig 556.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2017, 06:58:13 am »
It's a tough nut. I don't want to even think of being without my 45/70 in the sticks... But in reality, A 12 ga slug is more formidable, albeit at closer range, and it is also versatile, providing one has a selection of shells.

Likewise, I cringe at the thought of my .45 being absent - I honestly don't know if I could sleep, that pistol being always present beside my pillow... But I can bark a skwerl, or knock the eye out of a grouse or chink with a 22... Anything up to and probably including a deer is fair game for it... It is quite likely that even of the two, the 22 would wind up being the meat-getter.
Okay, I'm going to be the oddball here and say two long guns: a .410 shotgun (I have dropped everything from squirrels to whitetail with one, that's mainly a question of ammo, and I could carry two boxes to every one for a 12 Ga.) and a scoped .30-06. If I have to trade the -06 in for a pistol, I'd take the super Blackhawk--if the round doesn't get them the muzzle flash will.  :laugh:

C S Lewis