Author Topic: The US is considering 'all options' to stop North Korea — but here's how it will probably go down  (Read 1119 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:

The US is considering 'all options' to stop North Korea — but here's how it will probably go down
By Alex Lockie

But defense experts say a military strike against North Korea is unlikely for a number of reasons.

"There is no plausible military option," Jeffrey Lewis, founding publisher of Arms Control Wonk told Business Insider. "To remove the North Korean government is general war."

Because North Korea has missiles hidden all across the country, there's simply no way to quickly and cleanly remove the Kim regime from power or even neutralize the nuclear threat, according to Lewis.

"This is not a case where you're striking a nuclear program in its early stages," said Lewis, who noted that North Korea has been testing nuclear weapons for more than a decade. "The time to do a preemptive attack was like 20 years ago."

Continued: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-the-us-will-deal-with-north-korea-2017-3

Offline TomSea

However, there is a way out. China recently floated a North Korean-backed proposal for the US to end their annual military drills with South Korea and, in return, North Korea would stop working on nukes. The US flat out rejected the offer, as they have in the past.

"The onus is on North Korea to take meaningful actions toward denuclearization and refrain from provocations," Mark Toner, the acting spokesman for the State Department, said at a press briefing on Wednesday.

Toner suggested that comparing the US's transparent, planned, defensive, and 40-year-old military drills in South Korea with North Korea's 24 ballistic missile launches in 2016 was a case of "apples to oranges."

@pjohns
@EC
@anyone else interested.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Barring internal instability in NK I expect things to continue has they have for the last 60 years

Offline TomSea

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
So, reasonably conclusive proof that China is wagging NK's missile launches.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

@anyone else interested.

You cannot bargain or trust NK or China on this. They also promised not to make nukes back when Clinton was President in exchange for light water reactors that cost a billion or two. A journalist at the time quoted a high-ranking NK official as saying "That's your agreement, not ours."

Offline DB

Tell China to rein in their dog or we'll give SK and Japan nukes. China has used NK as a proxy against us for many decades. The cost of that has been millions of ruined lives in NK and billions of dollars for the US. China has always been the key to all of it.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Tell China to rein in their dog or we'll give SK and Japan nukes. China has used NK as a proxy against us for many decades. The cost of that has been millions of ruined lives in NK and billions of dollars for the US. China has always been the key to all of it.
IIRC the Mig drivers were Russians, but the ground troops who came across the Yalu were Chinese. Seems everyone was getting in on that one.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

Barring internal instability in NK I expect things to continue has they have for the last 60 years

Actually I'm more concerned with the instability here...

Have no confidence the Trump administration can deal with any threat that is not tweeted...   

Offline TomSea

It looks like that brother, Kim Jong Nam was the best option.

North Korea tests new type of high-thrust rocket engine

TOKYO -- North Korea has conducted a ground test of a new type of high-thrust rocket engine that leader Kim Jong Un is calling a revolutionary breakthrough for the country’s space program, the North’s state media said Sunday.

Kim attended Saturday’s test at the Sohae launch site, according to the Korean Central News Agency, which said the test was intended to confirm the “new type” of engine’s thrust power and gauge the reliability of its control system and structural safety.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-korea-tests-new-type-high-thrust-rocket-engine/

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2017/03/18/dennis-rodman-president-trump-north-korea/
Dennis Rodman Says He's Open To Working With President Trump, North Korea On Peace Deal

The Risks of Pre-emptive Strikes Against North Korea
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/world/asia/us-north-korea-weapons.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

20 years ago was during the Clinton administration.

http://thesouthern.com/news/world/north-asia-on-a-knife-s-edge-whose-position-is/article_af4601b1-eb35-52d6-a1ab-d52138e9b440.html

Offline TomSea

Tillerson refuses to rule out nuclearization of Asian allies to keep North Korea in check
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/17/tillerson-refuses-to-rule-out-nuclearization-asian-allies-to-keep-north-korea-in-check.html
Amid North Korea threat, Tillerson hints that ‘circumstances could evolve’ for a Japanese nuclear arsenal
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/03/19/national/amid-north-korea-threat-tillerson-hints-circumstances-evolve-japanese-nuclear-arsenal/#.WM6wUbj8pVI
So, SK and Japan could get these to counter the threat.

Offline TomSea

After World War II; I don't know if we want to allow Japan nukes even if that is 75 years ago... BUT, I've heard it said that Japan probably has the technology in place, to assemble such weapons rapidly. Almost as if they are already a semi-nuclear weapons country.

Offline Joe Wooten

After World War II; I don't know if we want to allow Japan nukes even if that is 75 years ago... BUT, I've heard it said that Japan probably has the technology in place, to assemble such weapons rapidly. Almost as if they are already a semi-nuclear weapons country.

I read somewhere several years ago that it would take 30 days for the Japanese to assemble several nuke weapons from the time they decided to do it. Probably a bit longer for the South Koreans, but not much.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I read somewhere several years ago that it would take 30 days for the Japanese to assemble several nuke weapons from the time they decided to do it. Probably a bit longer for the South Koreans, but not much.
Finally, a solution to the Fukushima mess!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

I heard tensions have been dialed back, progress is being made. Maybe.