Author Topic: World’s First Lab-Grown Chicken Has Been Tasted And Apparently It’s Delicious  (Read 1356 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Lab-grown meat is a not a new concept. We’ve had the meatball, the world’s most expensive beefburger, and possibly shrimp. Now it’s the turn of chicken and duck.

San Francisco-based startup, Memphis Meats, has produced the very first “clean meat” poultry grown from cells in a lab, serving them up in a taste test that included classic southern fried chicken and decidedly fancy duck a l’orange.....

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/worlds-first-labgrown-chicken-has-been-tasted-and-apparently-its-delicious/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Frankenfood....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

I don't want to be a Luddite but I really don't like this idea...

Offline montanajoe

Must say I'm baffled by those who grow this stuff and more so by those who would ever consider eating it.. :shrug:

Offline DB

Must say I'm baffled by those who grow this stuff and more so by those who would ever consider eating it.. :shrug:

Well, theoretically, if one could grow meat directly you could have essentially perfect consistent "meat" without large ranches, large water use, feedlots, animal transportation and slaughter houses. You would have no animal waste to take care of. These meat factories could be near where it is consumed. No issues with humane treatment of the animals. The cost savings from all that could be dramatic. The meat could be marbled consistently with no gristle or bone. You could eat your meat as rare as you like with no chance of E. coli.

But there's still that elephant in the room...

Offline montanajoe

Well, theoretically, if one could grow meat directly you could have essentially perfect consistent "meat" without large ranches, large water use, feedlots, animal transportation and slaughter houses. You would have no animal waste to take care of. These meat factories could be near where it is consumed. No issues with humane treatment of the animals. The cost savings from all that could be dramatic. The meat could be marbled consistently with no gristle or bone. You could eat your meat as rare as you like with no chance of E. coli.

Yep and if cooked right I've heard they are pretty tasty..

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

You missed out the biggest plus. It would shut vegetarians up. Suddenly it would be their dietary choices ruining the planet.  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DB

You missed out the biggest plus. It would shut vegetarians up. Suddenly it would be their dietary choices ruining the planet.  :tongue2:

Well that was "No issues with humane treatment of the animals."...

Here's the real question, is lab grown meat vegetarian especially if it is grown with plant matter as the raw material and doesn't involve any actual animals?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I really don't know. I mean technically it was never alive in any real sense in the first place, but neither are unfertilized eggs and those still get rated as "meat."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Lando Lincoln

So... it tastes like chicken...
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Bird, bird, bird, yardbird is the word...
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Frankenfood....
I remember this from an episode of Eureka, it didn't end well.

Offline Idiot

This is supposed to taste like chicken too.

Offline Idiot

This is supposed to taste like chicken too.

Speaking of rattlesnakes.  We staked a couple of wells to drill today and ran across 4 of the vile serpents.  Gonna be a BAD snake year.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@AbaraXas

Plus no one would actually care if there was no one there to pick the broccoli.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Speaking of rattlesnakes.  We staked a couple of wells to drill today and ran across 4 of the vile serpents.  Gonna be a BAD snake year.

Make belts.

Is BAD snake a redundancy?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley