Author Topic: Swiss police cancel commemoration event for 102nd anniversary of Battle Of Gallipoli  (Read 944 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Swiss police cancel commemoration event for 102nd anniversary of Battle Of Gallipoli

Swiss police cancelled an event celebrating the 102nd anniversary of the naval victory of the Ottomans against the mighty Allied forces and commemorating thousands who lost their lives during the Gallipoli Campaign, saying it could disrupt public order on March 17.

The event named after the well-known slogan "Gallipoli is Impassable" was scheduled for March 18 in Basel city in northwest Switzerland, expecting at least 500 attendees. Turkish singers Mustafa Yıldızdoğan and Nejla Çakmakçı were also planned to perform at the event.

The ANTIFA group had warned the Swiss canton that if they did not cancel the event, they would perform a demonstration against Basel police and 'resort to anything' to prevent the event from happening.

Continued: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/swiss-police-cancel-commemoration-event-for-102nd-anniversary-of-battle-of-gallipoli.aspx?pageID=238&nID=110969&NewsCatID=351

Related in the history section: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=254608.new#new

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/apr/24/gallipoli-what-happened-military-disaster-legacy

So, this is a bit interesting in light of incidents today and yesteryear, 102 years ago.

ANTIFA, Anti-Fascist.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:04:29 pm by TomSea »

Offline skeeter

Related in the history section: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=254608.new#new

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/apr/24/gallipoli-what-happened-military-disaster-legacy

So, this is a bit interesting in light of incidents today and yesteryear, 102 years ago.

ANTIFA, Anti-Fascist.

Why Switzerland? Have your damned event in Turkey.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don't get it. The Swiss punked out and banked money from both sides. They had nothing to do with the war other than make profits from it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline TomSea

I don't get it. The Swiss punked out and banked money from both sides. They had nothing to do with the war other than make profits from it.

It sounds like there is a Turkish community there that had this commemoration scheduled.  A fair number of Turks there apparently.  Yes, reading the article, it was going to be a nationalistic type of Turkish event, Turk singers, etc.

Good that they cancelled it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:41:04 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Turkey and Saudi Arabia are both important international players, supposedly. But perhaps they should get a heave ho. Russia then, will come in and be there friends. So, I'm not an expert in this; but something is the matter with this situation.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It sounds like there is a Turkish community there that had this commemoration scheduled.  A fair number of Turks there apparently.  Yes, reading the article, it was going to be a nationalistic type of Turkish event, Turk singers, etc.

Good that they cancelled it.

@TomSea

Interesting. I read a news story several months ago about how some people were starting to criticize the Swiss for claiming to be so open-minded,while banning Muslims from immigration.

I know that modern day Turkey everyone is free to practice whatever religion they follow,or practice no religion at all,but I have no idea if that was the situation in the early 1900's or not. I guess it COULD be the Swiss allowed CHRISTIAN Turks to immigrate to Switzerland,but in the photo all you see on the tombstones are the Muslim quarter moon.

Anybody know the real "skinny" on this?

Offline TomSea

@sneakypete

Turks in Switzerland (Turkish: İsviçre'deki Türkler) are Swiss citizens of Turkish origin. Over the last two decades, there has been a significant increase in the diversity of culture, language and customs in the Swiss population. Significant levels of Muslim emigration to Switzerland began in the late 1960s with the arrival of labour migrants from Turkey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turks_in_Switzerland

See article for more, it does say there were 77,000 in the 2000s (rough figure) and now it is up to 120,000.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

See article for more, it does say there were 77,000 in the 2000s (rough figure) and now it is up to 120,000.

@TomSea

No surprise there. They breed like rabbits.

Offline TomSea

At this point, the Kurds may well become the dominant ethinicity in Turkey within 2 generations.

http://www.aina.org/news/20120506141106.htm
"The use of birth-control methods has increased in Turkey a lot, but that is not the only reason for the decline in population," an obstetrician named Kağan Kocatepe told Hürriyet Daily News, a Turkish newspaper.

"Many women want to have a successful career. That's why the maternity age has increased, as women have started giving birth to their first child in their 30s."

Indeed, Dr. İsmet Koç, a demographer at Hacettepe University in Ankara, warned that Turkey's fertility rate is now below 2.1, the replacement level, which suggests the population will eventually decline.

Original article from IBTimes which I think is a questionable source but the sources may not be. You can get anyone to say what you want.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
At this point, the Kurds may well become the dominant ethinicity in Turkey within 2 generations.

http://www.aina.org/news/20120506141106.htm
Original article from IBTimes which I think is a questionable source but the sources may not be. You can get anyone to say what you want.

@TomSea

Somehow I think they are ignoring the Muslim Turkish population,and focusing on the Christian Turks.

Offline The_Reader_David

@TomSea

Somehow I think they are ignoring the Muslim Turkish population,and focusing on the Christian Turks.

"Christian Turk" is a nearly non-existent category.  Christian citizens of the Turkish Republic are pretty much all Greeks, Armenians or Arabs (the original seat of the Patriarchate of Antioch is now in Turkey, though the primary cathedral and partriarchal residence have been in Damascus since the Mamaluke era).  Ethnic Turks are pretty much all either Muslims or secularists, and have been since before the overran the Empire.  Okay there are a few notable counter-examples (St. Ahmed the Calligrapher, a court official of the Ottoman Sultan who secretly converted to Christianity and was martyred in 1682 when his conversion became known, and St. Constantine Hagarit, another convert martyred in 1819), but not enough of them to make a difference in demographic calculations.

Ataturk's secularism got a lot of Turkish Muslims to be fairly secular and Western in cultural attitudes, and thus, lowered the birthrate, esp. in urban Turkey, something Erdogan is trying to reverse, but the Kurds in eastern Anatolia still have the Muslim (or really pre-modern) attitude toward childbearing/rearing and have larger families, hence the article's analysis of Turkey's demographic future.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.