Author Topic: Justice Clarence Thomas Takes a Broadside at Civil Forfeiture  (Read 593 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

The U.S. Supreme Court decided not to hear a case on whether government should be able to receive forfeited property without a criminal conviction. But that hasn’t stopped Justice Clarence Thomas from taking a big swipe at civil forfeiture laws across the nation.

In most states, including Michigan, law enforcement officials can transfer property to the government, even if the rightful owner has not been convicted of a crime. (In fact, the owner may not even have to be charged with a crime.) That’s because forfeiture involves charging the property, not a person, with a crime. Justice Thomas calls this a legal “fiction.”

http://www.mackinac.org/justice-clarence-thomas-takes-a-broadside-at-civil-forfeiture

Justice Thomas official statement.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/030617zor_6j37.pdf#page=16

Offline endicom

Re: Justice Clarence Thomas Takes a Broadside at Civil Forfeiture
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 02:26:22 am »
He doesn't say much, but when he does...

Good for Justice Thomas.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 02:37:18 am »
One up for Justice Thomas!

Though calling "legal fiction" the precept of the forfeiture accusing the property of a crime means the justice is
far too polite.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:40:34 am »
One up for Justice Thomas!

Though calling "legal fiction" the precept of the forfeiture accusing the property of a crime means the justice is
far too polite.

The feds are just as bad if not worse.

Just few years ago here in Michigan the feds seized the bank account of a grocery store owner because of his "suspicious banking activities".  Rather than making 1 large deposit every day he was making multiple smaller deposits just under the threshold that requires reports to the feds. There wasn't anything illegal about it.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 04:47:22 pm »
The feds are just as bad if not worse.

Just few years ago here in Michigan the feds seized the bank account of a grocery store owner because of his "suspicious banking activities".  Rather than making 1 large deposit every day he was making multiple smaller deposits just under the threshold that requires reports to the feds. There wasn't anything illegal about it.

Makes me glad those bozos aren't in Las Vegas. I won $9000 on a random slot machine bonus last
week. Was paid in green cash money. Took it to my bank the following morning. All the teller asked
me was, "OK, what did you win?"

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.