Author Topic: Buzz Aldrin says this is the problem with Elon Musk’s plans for Mars  (Read 1647 times)

Offline kevindavis007

SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk's plans to colonize Mars are "bodacious," says Buzz Aldrin, who, as part of NASA's July 1969 Apollo 11 mission, was one of the first men on the moon.

While Aldrin respects Musk's ambition, he also points out that the tech billionaire is more focused on traveling to Mars than what people will do when they arrive there.

"He's a transportation person. He builds rockets," says Aldrin, speaking in Austin on Tuesday at the SXSW Festivals & Conferences.

Aldrin, now 87, recalls talking to Musk about his plans with regards to the red planet three or four years ago over lunch.

Aldrin summarizes the tech entrepreneur's response this way: "'We know how to get to Mars. We are going to build a big rocket, put a dragon on top, and go land on Mars.'" Musk has even named the hopefully Mars-bound spacecraft Dragon.

Read More: http://www.isn-news.net/2017/03/buzz-aldrin-says-this-is-problem-with.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

Offline r9etb

I'm going to have to agree with Buzz..

Kinda hard not to....

Wingnut

He walked the talk and Bullshit walked.   I am with Buzz.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:29:12 am by Wingnut »

Offline DB

While that's true, you have to be able to get there before the other issues can be addressed or even really matter.

Wingnut

Saint elon is a con artist

Offline r9etb

Saint elon is a con artist

Not entirely.  The tech is pretty cool and it more or less works.  It's just that they do a lot of half-assed stuff, and he's willing to accept half-assed performance.  The con is that he tries to sell people on the idea that half-assed is no big deal.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:45:40 am by r9etb »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I'm in the Bezos camp on this one.

Lets get back to the moon first so we can develop long term habitability tech.

With mars you need to plan on being there for a couple of years just to have a launch window open for you. Also, we've landed plenty small craft on the surface of mars but we've never launched one from the surface let alone launched a large passenger carrying craft from the surface.

Offline kevindavis007

I'm in the Bezos camp on this one.

Lets get back to the moon first so we can develop long term habitability tech.

With mars you need to plan on being there for a couple of years just to have a launch window open for you. Also, we've landed plenty small craft on the surface of mars but we've never launched one from the surface let alone launched a large passenger carrying craft from the surface.

To be honest, I was on #TeamSpaceX, but I'm slowly moving to #TeamBlueOrigin . Elon just wants Mars and that is it. He is repeating the mistakes of the Apollo program.  Jeff on the other hand, is thinking long term.

Offline kevindavis007

Not entirely.  The tech is pretty cool and it more or less works.  It's just that they do a lot of half-assed stuff, and he's willing to accept half-assed performance.  The con is that he tries to sell people on the idea that half-assed is no big deal.

When it comes to space travel, I don't want it half-assed.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Buzz Aldrin says this is the problem with Elon Musk’s plans for Mars
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 02:30:53 am »

Half assed will become a very big deal when he's standing at the podium in a press conference explaining why astronauts died.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 03:22:16 am »
Half assed will become a very big deal when he's standing at the podium in a press conference explaining why astronauts died.

Precisely.  And yet, barring a serious change in SpaceX's corporate culture, that's exactly what he'll end up doing.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 06:05:36 am »

Me, too. Just getting there is a little like a dog chasing cars and catching one. Now what's he going to do with it?

The rest will involve some serious planning unless it is just a flyby.
Seems like a long way to go to not even plant a flag...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 07:34:45 am »

or space tourists