Author Topic: Trump's NASA budget preserves Mars mission, cuts Earth science, asteroid trip, education  (Read 1289 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
WASHINGTON — No more mission to bring astronauts to an asteroid, but stable funding for a trip to Mars. A cut in Earth science programs, but support for a mission to study Jupiter’s icy moon Europa. Elimination of education programs, but more resources to improve cybersecurity of the space program.

President Trump is proposing a $19.1 billion budget for NASA in 2018 that is about the same as the current year’s $19.3 billion allocation – not bad considering the president is proposing deep cuts in many non-Defense programs. EPA alone would see a 31% reduction.

But Trump’s vision for NASA calls for some dramatic shifts from the priorities the space agency pursued under President Obama, according to a broad budget outline the White House released Thursday. Line-item details on the administration’s proposed spending plan for NASA and other executive branch agencies are expected in the coming weeks.

More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/16/trumps-nasa-budget-preserves-mars-mission-cuts-earth-science-asteroid-trip-education/99227378/
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Good directions to head. I kind of like the asteroid idea, but you can't do everything.

@kevindavis
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline kevindavis007

A good start, however, I think cutting the Asteroid mission is a mistake also the Europa being cut is a mistake as well..

Space Ping! PM me if you want on or off the list..

@Oceander
@Sanguine
@Cripplecreek
@Freya
@EC
@Joe Wooten
@r9etb
@Just_Victor
@montanajoe
@Ghost Bear
@Free Vulcan
@Idaho_Cowboy
@geronl
@Scutter   
@Elderberry
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
@bigheadfred
@Victoria33
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@sneakypete

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

A good start, however, I think cutting the Asteroid mission is a mistake also the Europa being cut is a mistake as well..

Is this a cut from the current plan?

"Planetary science: $1.9 billion to move ahead with the launch of a Mars rover by 2020 and the launch of the Clipper spacecraft to orbit around Jupiter in order to perform a detailed investigation of the giant planet's moon Europa."
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline kevindavis007

Is this a cut from the current plan?

"Planetary science: $1.9 billion to move ahead with the launch of a Mars rover by 2020 and the launch of the Clipper spacecraft to orbit around Jupiter in order to perform a detailed investigation of the giant planet's moon Europa."

Hmmm..  :pondering: :pondering: :pondering: :pondering: :pondering:
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

I agree that the asteroid mission has value. I always liked the Russian idea of launching a manned mission to one of the martian moons which appear to be just asteroids anyway.

Offline Suppressed

It looks like smart programs are being cut for flashy, photo-op ego boosts.  Sad.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn