Author Topic: Trump Budget Proposes Killing All Funding for PBS, NPR and National Endowment for the Arts  (Read 2126 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Someone made a thought I'm curious about what others think of.

What if instead (especially because their budgets are so small in relative terms), Trump took over those entities and took creative/editorial control over their content, making all of those right-leaning instead of liberal mouthpieces?

Thoughts?

Offline DiogenesLamp

What if instead (especially because their budgets are so small in relative terms), Trump took over those entities and took creative/editorial control over their content, making all of those right-leaning instead of liberal mouthpieces?

Thoughts?

That's one way to get funding for it pulled rather quickly.    I've long pointed out that there needs to be broadcast news organizations that are staffed by conservatives.   This idea has some possibilities. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Thoughts?

No...of course not.

Rush Limbaugh could probably produce a weekly hour show to be aired on One America News, or maybe even FOX...using his Rush Revere and the talking horse series.

Let Sesame Street do the same.   Compete and pay to spread your ideology.  Don't expect the American taxpayer to do so.

The ideology spewed is secondary to the fact the US Government should not be funding public broadcasting...let alone the actual programming/producing of shows like Sesame Street.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The ideology spewed is secondary to the fact the US Government should not be funding public broadcasting...let alone the actual programming/producing of shows like Sesame Street.

Bingo.  Glad you fell into that camp. Saw a big conversation on FB where people were saying the real solution would be for Trump to take them over and make them a favorable network.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I predict there will be some minimal cuts and even more money budgeted for spending elsewhere. When my congressman was first elected the first bill he sponsored was to cut funding for the endowment for the arts by 50%. He ended up voting against his own bill because by the time it got out of committee it was a 20% cut in the amount of annual increase and that 20% (a few million dollars) was immediately snatched up for spending elsewhere.

Maybe its time to limit the amount of money the feds are allowed to take in because tax and spending cuts are smoke and mirrors

Limiting the amount of Property Taxes was enacted in California in 1978, called Prop. 13 (Jarvis-Gann), and has stood the legal test of time.

The authors of the bill were NOT politicians. They were conservative businessmen that felt the best way to limit the size and scope of government, was by restricting the funds.

Maybe grassroots conservatives should push for a national Jarvis-Gann Act.

I would be enthusiastic, but the definition of "conservative" is now all over the place.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DiogenesLamp

Bingo.  Glad you fell into that camp. Saw a big conversation on FB where people were saying the real solution would be for Trump to take them over and make them a favorable network.

Because liberals would suddenly realize why it is a bad idea for government to pay for such things. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

As good a place as any to put this. 

To Beat The Bureaucrats, Trump Needs To Shut Their Agencies Down

Do Republicans really think that fewer than 5,000 appointees can win against 2.8 million federal employees who have a vested interest in absolutely nothing changing?

If Trump wants to devolve power out of DC, he has to shut departments down.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/03/20/truly-beat-bureaucrats-trump-needs-shut-agencies/#.WM_0W-Zp-fk.twitter
— Lord Melbourne —

Silver Pines

Just saw on the Bret Baier News Hour on FOX, that Sesame Street is introducing a new little girl character...with autism.

I think her name is Julia and will debut in April on PBS and HBO.

@DCPatriot

Sesame Street is on HBO?  They don't need government money, then.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
@DCPatriot

Sesame Street is on HBO?  They don't need government money, then.

That's the point, I suppose.

If one premium channel can sign them, why not multiple?   Same syndication, but paid for and supported by, lol,....quarterly radiothons.

Corporate donations, etc..
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Limiting the amount of Property Taxes was enacted in California in 1978, called Prop. 13 (Jarvis-Gann), and has stood the legal test of time.

The authors of the bill were NOT politicians. They were conservative businessmen that felt the best way to limit the size and scope of government, was by restricting the funds.

Maybe grassroots conservatives should push for a national Jarvis-Gann Act.

I would be enthusiastic, but the definition of "conservative" is now all over the place.
We don't need that in Texas, as those over 65, the ones that need it most, have it already
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington