Author Topic: Desktop Linux the best it’s ever been—and keeps getting better  (Read 5485 times)

Offline ShadowAce

From Network World :
Author : Brian Lundyke

I can be a pretty pessimistic guy. I’m fairly convinced that the Internet of Things spells certain doom for mankind, and I’ve made a habit of standing in front of large rooms full of people simply to tell them how much I think “Linux sucks.”

If you were to call me a Negative Nancy, you wouldn’t be far off.

To make matters worse, I’m about to publish three new articles—each of them extremely pessimistic and gloomy—over the next week.  otal “sky is falling, we’re all gonna die” sort of stuff.
Linux the bright spot in the doom and gloom

In the interest of not becoming the internet’s crotchety old grandpa, eternally spouting off about “those kids” and their proximity to “my lawn,” I figured now would be a good time to talk about something happy that I’ve been thinking about. Something optimistic and wonderful. Something I could point people to whenever asked if I ever have anything nice to say.

And that is this: Desktop Linux, right now, is better than it’s ever been.

By a long shot. A feat that is truly amazing.

You know how some operating system companies (not mentioning names or pointing fingers here) tend to release new versions of their systems with the promise of amazing new features, but in reality, each release almost seems to be worse than the one before? Massive performance degradation. Huge jumps in memory usage. Decreases in stability. Increases in annoying adware or spyware built into the system.

As I listed off those problems, every one of us immediately thought of a specific OS and a specific feature. And when that thought crossed our minds, we were either amused (because we don’t use that system) or annoyed (because we do). Regardless, we’ve all got examples of those problems added in with new releases of big-name, proprietary operating systems.
How Linux has improved

But not Linux. Linux has actually gotten—better. At least for the most part.

Wi-Fi driver issues are (mostly) a thing of the past. Sound problems are, if nothing else, at least quite a lot less prevalent than they used to be. As a general rule, hardware support has dramatically improved across the board.

The availability and variety of quality software has absolutely skyrocketed. Video editing under Linux, while not perfect, is actually in a usable state now. All of my videos can be produced entirely under Linux using nothing but free software. That is, putting it simply, absolutely amazing.

And gaming? Holy guacamole! We have games coming out of our ears now! Almost everyone I know uses Steam and has a small (or large) stockpile of professional games purchased with in it—all running natively on Linux.
Gonna say it. I don’t care how much flak I get for it. 2017—Year of the Linux Desktop.

There is never a point during my day where I need to reboot into Microsoft Windows. Or even fire up a virtual machine. Heck, I don’t even need Wine anymore.

Don’t need Windows. Don’t want Windows. Don’t have Windows.

That, to me, is a huge statement. Not only is Linux powerful (it’s always been that), but now, at the start of 2017, it is viable and enjoyable to use for just about every purpose conceivable.

When I think about new releases of various Linux distributions, I actually get excited. I’ve applied more than one update recently (on two different distros) that led to modest speed bumps and improvements in stability. The fact that I’m applauding that as something unique and amazing might be a sign that just maybe there is a problem outside of the free software world in this area.

Regardless of the sadness faced on a regular basis by users of those proprietary systems as they “upgrade” to their new, slower, buggier, more-spy-y systems, I’m damned happy here in free software land. No advertisements in my desktop environments. No spyware built into the system. Speed and stability improvements rolling out here and there.

Just downright lovely.

The hell with it. Gonna say it. I don’t care how much flak I get for it.

2017—Year of the Linux Desktop.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:45:38 pm by ShadowAce »

Offline ShadowAce

Re: Desktop Linux the best it’s ever been—and keeps getting better
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 01:43:40 pm »

@BikkFire @geronl @Smokin Joe @roamer_1 @Blizzardnh @markomalley @VarmintAl @Doug Loss @Rikki Tikki Tavi @guitar4jesus
@kevindavis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 01:44:36 pm »
2017—Year of the Linux Desktop.

:silly:

Same article run since 2000 or so, when I first bought a copy of Linux Mandrake from Staples.

Offline ShadowAce

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 01:47:30 pm »
Same article run since 2000 or so, when I first bought a copy of Linux Mandrake from Staples.
Incorrect, and if you'd actually read the article, you would know that.

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 01:49:20 pm »
Incorrect, and if you'd actually read the article, you would know that.

Just read it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:50:55 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline ShadowAce

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 01:59:42 pm »

Just read it. I also know Linux better than most Linux adherents, probably.
Then you'll understand that what he is saying is not that Desktop Linux will ever grab majority share from Windows, but that it is actually at a point where non-techies can use it regularly.

I've been using Linux (either Red Hat or Fedora) since 1994.  No windows at all since 2003.  RHCE.  Yes, I'm a techie.  But it is getting very easy to use.

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 02:09:21 pm »
Then you'll understand that what he is saying is not that Desktop Linux will ever grab majority share from Windows, but that it is actually at a point where non-techies can use it regularly.

I've been using Linux (either Red Hat or Fedora) since 1994.  No windows at all since 2003.  RHCE.  Yes, I'm a techie.  But it is getting very easy to use.

I've tried Linux desktop every few years and have generally been disappointed.

Well, I should say that other than Ubuntu I've been disappointed. Ubuntu is my goto for servers and the desktop version does work. I just prefer Windows for a variety of reasons.

Just saying that these "xxxx is the year of the Linux Desktop" article have been commonplace since the 90's. It's never happened.

Offline endicom

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 02:16:26 pm »
The perpetual update that is Windows 10 should drive more people to desktop Linux.

Offline ShadowAce

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 03:07:15 pm »
Well, I should say that other than Ubuntu I've been disappointed. Ubuntu is my goto for servers and the desktop version does work. I just prefer Windows for a variety of reasons.

Just saying that these "xxxx is the year of the Linux Desktop" article have been commonplace since the 90's. It's never happened.
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Just curious--what is it about Ubuntu that works for you?  Do you like the Unity desktop?  I've never been able to get comfortable with Debian-based systems.

My DE of choice is XFCE.  It's lightweight, easy to use, easy to understand, and it works in the same way I do.  KDE comes in second, but even that is getting weird (for me).  I've never liked Gnome.

As far as the timeframe of these articles, you are correct.  However, I thought this one was a little different in that it's not saying everyone is going to adopt Linux this year, but rather that Desktop Linux has improved to the point that just about everyone can use it--techie or not.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 05:23:31 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Just curious--what is it about Ubuntu that works for you?  Do you like the Unity desktop?  I've never been able to get comfortable with Debian-based systems.

My DE of choice is XFCE.  It's lightweight, easy to use, easy to understand, and it works in the same way I do.  KDE comes in second, but even that is getting weird (for me).  I've never liked Gnome.

As far as the timeframe of these articles, you are correct.  However, I thought this one was a little different in that it's not saying everyone is going to adopt Linux this year, but rather that Desktop Linux has improved to the point that just about everyone can use it--techie or not.

Myself, I've used Linux since about 1996 (before that I was using an AT&T 3B1 system), starting with RedHat 4.0 (not RHCE, understand).  I've been Microsoft-free for, well, forever.  Over the years I've installed (on various systems) Yellow Dog, M68K, Red Hat, Fedora, Mandrake, PCLinuxOS, TurboLinux, Slackware, Ubuntu, Mint, Monkey, DSL, and undoubtedly others that I don't remember at the moment.

I've tried most DEs over the years.  I really really wanted to like WindowMaker, but I just couldn't.  KDE never appealed to me as it seems to aggressively force itself on you.  At the moment I use Gnome + Cinnamon (Linux Mint) mostly because it's the default.  What I want most in a DE is something that stays out of my way while I get things done using my chosen applications.  If I have to notice the DE, it's failing.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 05:27:23 pm »
but that it is actually at a point where non-techies can use it regularly.

It has been so for quite a while. I've been introducing clients to Linux roughly since Ubuntu debuted. Actually, a few before that too, when I was recommending Suse, but since the Ubuntu family, it's been a kinder, gentler Linux, though the community is still cantankerous, and largely unyielding.

But I have somewhere between 25-50 dedicated Linux users now, and I have no idea how many Ubuntu/Mint TV/media machines I have out there. LOTS.

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 08:51:35 pm »

:silly:

You bought a copy of Linux?  :silly: :silly: :silly: 22222frying pan
You know its always been free right?

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 10:41:21 pm »

It was basically buying the manual which was decent.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 11:10:41 pm »

I've tried most DEs over the years.  I really really wanted to like WindowMaker, but I just couldn't.  KDE never appealed to me as it seems to aggressively force itself on you.  At the moment I use Gnome + Cinnamon (Linux Mint) mostly because it's the default.  What I want most in a DE is something that stays out of my way while I get things done using my chosen applications.  If I have to notice the DE, it's failing.

I've used WM for at least 20 years, with virtually no changes.  It does exactly what I want and stays out of the way.  I don't use any of the plugins (there's a term for them that I've long since forgotten) so I'm missing out on things like weather reports and volume controls right on the desktop.  It just works, for me.

But then you didn't like it, so I'm not going to try to talk you into it.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 11:24:11 pm »

When I bought it it was just before the advent of broadband. Buying physical software was basically the only option.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 11:55:20 pm »
(there's a term for them that I've long since forgotten)

Dockapps

WM is still one of my favs but I like xfce a lot too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:55:54 pm by guitar4jesus »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 12:14:09 am »

I hate Unity... except for a computer running a TV...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:14:37 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 12:14:36 am »

It was basically buying the manual which was decent.
Just kidding ya . I did the same with redhat .

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 12:17:48 am »
Just kidding ya . I did the same with redhat .

^-^

I forget I was also on dialup back then.

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 11:10:52 am »
Linux is very much reaching the "ready for prime time" point.  However, since a lot of people are used to and/or need Windows Word and Outlook, either because that's what they're used to, or because it's what they use at work and they need compatibility, it's going to be a while before Linux starts to take off with the average consumer. 

And I say that as ssomeone who likes Linux, but requires compatibility with work.

Offline ShadowAce

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 11:26:41 am »
Linux is very much reaching the "ready for prime time" point.  However, since a lot of people are used to and/or need Windows Word and Outlook, either because that's what they're used to, or because it's what they use at work and they need compatibility, it's going to be a while before Linux starts to take off with the average consumer. 

And I say that as ssomeone who likes Linux, but requires compatibility with work.
@Oceander

Have you tried LibreOffice recently?  My Word-using co-workers have no idea I use LibreOffice exclusively.  I exchange documents and spreadsheets with them every day.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 01:48:28 pm »
@Oceander

Have you tried LibreOffice recently?  My Word-using co-workers have no idea I use LibreOffice exclusively.  I exchange documents and spreadsheets with them every day.

And while I don't use it these days, from what I recall Evolution worked pretty much exactly like Outlook.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 02:48:25 pm »
And while I don't use it these days, from what I recall Evolution worked pretty much exactly like Outlook.

Outlook ain't the thing... I use Mozilla Thunderbird with the Lightning extension which is just great for what I do. And there are other viable options... Though I don't remember if Eudora or Pegasus (as instances) had a PIM...

Outlook/Exchange ... there's your problem.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 03:01:53 pm »
Outlook ain't the thing... I use Mozilla Thunderbird with the Lightning extension which is just great for what I do. And there are other viable options... Though I don't remember if Eudora or Pegasus (as instances) had a PIM...

Outlook/Exchange ... there's your problem.

And Evolution connects to Exchange servers.  Still not seeing the problem.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 03:24:59 pm »
And Evolution connects to Exchange servers.  Still not seeing the problem.

When there's open source answer to Exchange, THEN Microsoft's Office domination days are numbered.