Author Topic: Humpback whales are organizing in huge numbers, and no one knows why  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Humpback whales are organizing in huge numbers, and no one knows why
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 11:05:16 am »
Whale war! 888ohnoes

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 11:08:51 am »
Unfortunately this is a "science" article:

Perhaps they’re trying to tell us something, Like the dolphins who do a double-backward somersault through a hoop while whistling the Star Spangled Banner, the whales may be sending us a message that we’re misinterpreting as an adorably sophisticated trick. The oceans are warming, the seas are rising, and maybe—just maybe—the whales have had enough. They’ve gathered as many young humpbacks as possible to come together and send one final message: so long, and thanks for all the krill. Or maybe they're talking to a giant space probe. Who knows.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 11:16:35 am »
Quick hypothesis:

Bubblenet feeding is a learned behavior. Most of the whales in these superpods are young. Therefore - they are being taught to bubblenet hunt while in these super pods.
Also during this time, they'll be learning new songs (whales have to learn songs, as well as learn to compose them) by exposure to them.

Conclusion: It's school time.  :shrug:

Can I haz grant plz?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Joe Wooten

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 10:18:10 pm »
@Quix should know about why they left the south pole . :pondering:

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 10:45:44 pm »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:47:21 pm »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 10:50:10 pm »
Quick hypothesis:

Bubblenet feeding is a learned behavior. Most of the whales in these superpods are young. Therefore - they are being taught to bubblenet hunt while in these super pods.
Also during this time, they'll be learning new songs (whales have to learn songs, as well as learn to compose them) by exposure to them.

Conclusion: It's school time.  :shrug:

Can I haz grant plz?

Whales are not stupid that's for sure.

I saw a while back about trouble commercial fishermen in Alaska have with whales. The kind of fishing they do requires long lines with multiple baited hooks. The whales steal the bait and caught fish while trashing expensive gear. They say the whales wait outside the harbor and have even learned which boats to follow. They don't go after crab or cod fishing boats because they use crab pots that the whales can't get into. One guy even tried disguising his boat by carrying crab pots. He said it only worked a couple of times before the whales started following him out anyway so the whales were recognizing the boats themselves.

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 03:03:41 am »
@Quix should know about why they left the south pole . :pondering:

LOLOL

I wish my knowledge were that vast.

Actually, I haven't seen any living whales in the SouthWest's high desert plateau to chat with. Then there would be the translation problem.

Sounds like school time, alright.

Though given the complexities of this era and all the trouble caused in the ocean . . . Fukashima etc . . . the whales would have plenty to be concerned/angry at humans about . . . assuming they could be that perceptive--which would be more than a little challenge in terms of some things, perhaps.

Though Fukashima and other dastardly deeds of humans could readily be known to the whales . . . depending on their capacity for abstract thought; cause and effect etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for your kind mention.
Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 06:02:20 am »
Fukushima is/was a disaster. How much of a 'dastardly deed', I tend to doubt, simply because no one wanted such an outcome. I see it more as a reminder that the plans of man are going to be overcome by the forces of nature.  The backups and precautions were insufficient, and no matter what or where will be sooner or later.  In the meantime, it is a mess, still.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 07:28:33 am »
Whales are not stupid that's for sure.

Pilot whales will beach themselves by the hundreds because their leader can't read a map.

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 11:40:03 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymhdJDuGIBE

All those little fish hitting the surface trying to get away before the huge open jaws breach...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer