Author Topic: 360-Degree Video of NASA's Powerful Rocket Blast Will Make Your Astronaut Dreams Come True  (Read 1365 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Before actually using them on what will be the world’s most powerful rocket, NASA has been thoroughly testing its new RS-25 engines. With 512,000 pounds of thrust, however, the best way to experience all of that power is through this 360-degree video that safely puts you right in the path of the immense blast.

This RS-25 test took place at the Stennis Space Center near Bay St. Louis in Mississippi, and lasted for a full six minutes and twenty seconds, although this video only recaps the highlights. Eventually, three of these RS-25 engines will work together to generate two million pounds of thrust, propelling NASA’s new Space Launch System into orbit. May all your childhood dreams come true.

Video at link: http://sploid.gizmodo.com/360-degree-video-of-nasas-powerful-rocket-blast-will-ma-1793256040

It's rather, um, disappointing. I know the old Saturn V engines only made the amount of noise they did because they were pretty inefficient, but I miss that roar.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Fascinating. Sure beats the socks of those Testors rockets I used as a kid.  :laugh:

@kevindavis
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Joe Wooten

Fascinating. Sure beats the socks of those Testors rockets I used as a kid.  :laugh:

@kevindavis

Testors rockets? I bet you mean Estes, Testors makes paint and glue for modeling.

I'm 61 and still shooting model rockets....a 50 year hobby....

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Testors rockets? I bet you mean Estes, Testors makes paint and glue for modeling.

Did it some with daughter number 3. She was the space freak of the kids.  ^-^

Probably still got a couple of models we never got around to launching somewhere, but the grandkids aren't so much into it (though Elle and Steven both fly drones very competently. I'll get a drone buzzing through the back door to ask me to dinner.  :tongue2: )
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15

Estes that was it. It's been a while.  :laugh:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Joe Wooten

Did it some with daughter number 3. She was the space freak of the kids.  ^-^

Probably still got a couple of models we never got around to launching somewhere, but the grandkids aren't so much into it (though Elle and Steven both fly drones very competently. I'll get a drone buzzing through the back door to ask me to dinner.  :tongue2: )

#4 son was the one in my spawn. I still do the Space Exploration MB with the local scout troop too.

Offline Joe Wooten

Understood.....   :blank:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:02:01 pm by Joe Wooten »

Oceander

Estes was one of my best friends in middle school and high school.  :smokin: