Author Topic: Scientists Just Found an Unexpected Property in a Solid Metal: It 'Remembers' its Liquid State  (Read 677 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Researchers have probed samples of metal bismuth, and found a completely unexpected property - under certain conditions, the solid metal can retain a type of 'structural memory' of its liquid state.

The fact that scientists have found a new property of metals is exciting enough. But this also means solid bismuth can go from being repelled by a magnetic field (diamagnetic) to being attracted to a magnetic field (ferromagnetic), which could lead to a whole new way of creating materials with unique properties.

The phases of matter we learn about in high school, such as liquid, gas, and solid, are all defined by the way molecules in matter are arranged depending on external conditions. For example, liquid water freezes and contracts together into ice, or relaxes and boils into steam.

But bismuth is one element that's not so straightforward. It's most commonly found in solid form, but under increasing pressure and temperature conditions, it can undergo a broad array of phase transitions. For example, scientists have observed eight different types of solid phases in the metal so far.

So far, so weird.

But it gets stranger. One of the most interesting properties of bismuth is that it's usually repelled by a magnetic field when it's a solid, thanks to a phenomenon known as diamagnetism, but under certain high pressure and high temperature conditions - which usually coincide with it being in a liquid state - the metal can become ferromagnetic, or attracted to a magnetic field.

Because of this weird property, scientists have used bismuth to make a lot of important observations about the effect of magnetic fields on electrical conductivity (usually bismuth is an incredibly weak conductor).

And now they've found something else about the metal - it appears to be capable of retaining structural memory of its liquid phase, even when it's a solid.

More: https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-just-found-a-totally-unexpected-property-in-a-solid-metal-it-remembers-its-liquid-state

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Suppressed

The homeopaths are going to love this news... and totally distort it.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline r9etb

The phases of matter we learn about in high school, such as liquid, gas, and solid, are all defined by the way molecules in matter are arranged depending on external conditions. For example, liquid water freezes and contracts together into ice....

Looks like somebody needs to go back to high school...

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Looks like somebody needs to go back to high school...
Ice is an oddball that's why it floats.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline r9etb

Ice is an oddball that's why it floats.

Except in the GI Joe movie, which proved conclusively that if you blow up an iceberg, huge chunks of it will rapidly sink in the ocean and endanger submarines.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Except in the GI Joe movie, which proved conclusively that if you blow up an iceberg, huge chunks of it will rapidly sink in the ocean and endanger submarines.

hah hah imagine THAT! Hollywood putting things in movies that are not accurate representations of reality!!

Of course in some cases ice forms around solid masses like rock / gravel, in which case a broken off fragment of a berg might sink because it's not completely ice but has a large component or core of rock/dirt/gravel. Since ice bergs are frequently chunks of cliff or other land masses that have broken off and fallen or been pushed into the ocean, it's possible, especially in glacial areas that a large fragment of an ice berg, might indeed sink to the bottom because it is not composed purely of ice.

I think ice is only 10% less dense than water, so all we are talking about in compensating for that buoyancy would be adding more than 10% of the weight of the ice in the form of rock, dirt or gravel to make it sink.
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)