Author Topic: Liberty Is Not for Wimps  (Read 424 times)

rangerrebew

Liberty Is Not for Wimps
« on: March 14, 2017, 01:36:06 pm »

Liberty Is Not for Wimps

Most Americans, whether liberal or conservative, Democratic or Republican, do not show much understanding or respect for the principles of personal liberty. We criticize our political leaders, but we must recognize that their behavior simply reflects the values of people who elected them to office. That means we are all to blame for greater governmental control over our lives and a decline in personal liberty. Let me outline some fundamental principles of liberty.

My initial premise is that each of us owns himself. I am my private property, and you are yours. If we accept the notion of self-ownership, then certain acts can be deemed moral or immoral. Murder, rape and theft are immoral because those acts violate private property. Most Americans accept that murder and rape are immoral, but we are ambivalent about theft. Theft can be defined as taking the rightful property of one American and giving it to another, to whom it does not belong. It is also theft to forcibly use one person to serve the purposes of another.

Source URL: http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/walter-e-williams/liberty-not-wimps

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Liberty Is Not for Wimps
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 02:04:54 pm »
"The problem with Liberty is it's not for other people, but reserved only for me." The modern outlook in a nutshell.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 03:54:46 pm »
Right on!
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 08:06:30 am »
"The problem with Liberty is it's not for other people, but reserved only for me." The modern outlook in a nutshell.

:beer:

I laughed when I read your comment, but sadly it is so true.