Author Topic: Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue  (Read 6470 times)

Offline Suppressed

Re: Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 10:02:04 pm »
I would hate to see yourself limited by a single shot. And for the price of a double, you could get a pump. Checkout the Mossbergs.

Thanks, @Elderberry.  I'm looking for something that is relatively light.  Something I can just raise up and easily point, without the extra hassle of worrying about half-awake hassling with finding a good grip on pistol and operating it (along with a decently long barrel for "sighting" [i.e., pointing]).  I'll have pistol for after that initial reaction.  Basically, a sawed-off shotgun, but legal, for a one or two shot point defense if I'm surprised in bed.

I grew up on rifles, so I'm very leery of revolvers not having a safety.  But that Taurus from @Bigun looks like it might be an option for what I'm thinking.

I appreciate all the input everyone.  @txradioguy @thackney
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 10:09:00 pm »
Not all that big. And they sell reduced power loads.

The 14″ Mossberg 500 That ISN’T NFA!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 10:23:04 pm »

I grew up on rifles, so I'm very leery of revolvers not having a safety.

@Suppressed

A friend of mine had his house broke into during the day while he was at work. His wife and MIL were home. They had handguns for protection. Due to inadequate training and practice, they were unable to get a shot off due to their unable to release safeties. Fortunately no one was hurt. My friend, instead of training and practice, took away all the handguns that had safeties and replaced them with no safety handguns.

Revolvers not having safeties is just the same as lever action rifles not having safeties(until the lawyers took over). Lowering the hammer is the safety. Many handguns these days have hammer/firing pin blocks so that they are protected from accidental discharge from dropping when the hammers are lowered.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 10:25:47 pm »
@Suppressed

Give the MAG 7 a look. Sounds like what you are after - light, short, decent capacity, definite stopper. Only problem with it is you're going to have to learn to reload your own ammo - it takes short shells that are a bugger to get hold of.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 10:48:35 pm »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 11:23:06 pm »
@Suppressed

Give the MAG 7 a look. Sounds like what you are after - light, short, decent capacity, definite stopper. Only problem with it is you're going to have to learn to reload your own ammo - it takes short shells that are a bugger to get hold of.

Looked really promising, as I don't need full-size rounds for my bedroom, and it fits the bill... but then I see the price they're going for!   8888crybaby

I suppose if I got a cheap Baikal and grabbed a hacksaw and chopped the barrel down, that's probably violating some law, eh?  And I guess if I ever needed it for defense, it would look bad to have one sawed down.   :shrug:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 11:48:21 pm »
Cut a shotgun barrel under 18 inches and you just broke a Federal Felony 10yr offense(lookup Randy Weaver)

The Mossbergs I listed have 14 inch barrels. They are NOT Shotguns. They are firearms. (Who can understand the ATF?)

To be a shotgun, it must be a shoulder fired weapon, which they are not.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 11:54:36 pm »
May I recommend you read the link below and consider changing to #1 Buckshot?

Firearms Tactical Institute
Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition
http://www.shtfinfo.com/shtffiles/tactical/www-firearmstactical-com_briefs10-htm_ksqijsxw.pdf
Interesting and informative. Thanks for the link.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 11:54:53 pm »
How about a Serbu Shorty?

The SUPER-SHORTY is based on a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 (at additional cost) 12-gauge shotgun that came from the factory with a pistol grip. Because of this, the SUPER-SHORTY is considered an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and can be transferred with a $5 stamp! The gun holds two 2-3/4" or 3" shells in the magazine, plus one in the chamber. The 16.5" overall length, 6.5" barrel and spring-locked foregrip, which pivots out of the way when not in use, make for a very compact package. As far as we know, this is the shortest 12-gauge pump shotgun available. All parts for the SUPER-SHORTY are made in-house on our own CNC machinery using materials ideally suited to the task. All welds are done by the TIG process, and the manganese phosphate finish is MIL-spec. The SUPER-SHORTY is currently being used by various law enforcement agencies and military units worldwide, and has appeared in movies, TV shows and video games. If you like the idea of concealed carry with a 12-gauge, or like a lot of "bang" in a small package, or just want the most compact breaching weapon available, then this is the gun for you. You won't find a better made AOW pump shotgun than the SUPER-SHORTY!

http://www.serbu.com/super-shorty-aow-shotgun-12-gauge.html

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2017, 02:26:33 am »
Yeah, I'm figuring 18.5" barrel.  But am I allowed to cut it off myself? I know that the actual muzzle has a major impact on accuracy, but I'd be firing shot shells at short range, not a slug at range.  (Though I do realize that even with a short barrel, there's not much spread at bedroom range!)

I'm not too concerned about getting a safety off.  Although I haven't done much with firearms lately, I went to Nationals in college for Rifle, and I taught riflery class at a major university, so I'm comfortable with longarms and safeties.

Interesting points about the "firearms" vs "shotguns"...and "Any Other Weapon".
That Serbu Shorty looks like what I'd need, though I admit firing that after just awaking might have it fly back over my shoulder!   :whistle:
+++++++++

Offline thackney

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 12:04:11 pm »
Thanks, @Elderberry.  I'm looking for something that is relatively light.  Something I can just raise up and easily point, without the extra hassle of worrying about half-awake hassling with finding a good grip on pistol and operating it (along with a decently long barrel for "sighting" [i.e., pointing]).  I'll have pistol for after that initial reaction.  Basically, a sawed-off shotgun, but legal, for a one or two shot point defense if I'm surprised in bed.

I grew up on rifles, so I'm very leery of revolvers not having a safety.  But that Taurus from @Bigun looks like it might be an option for what I'm thinking.

I appreciate all the input everyone.  @txradioguy @thackney

In a conceal carry class, the instructor discussed the concerns of a gun where you grab and pickup without being really awake.  He was in favor of quick access safes that are easily accessible but might require a series of finger touches in the right order.

If you don't wake up easily, do you want to be grabbing and walking with a loaded weapon, particularly if there are family members in the house?

This concern isn't for everyone, but for some, it is a reasonable concern.

In my opinion, if you are concerned you won't be awake enough to work a simple pump action, you should be concerned of your target selection and the awareness of that behind your target.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:11:25 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 05:10:36 pm »
If you don't wake up easily, do you want to be grabbing and walking with a loaded weapon, particularly if there are family members in the house?

This concern isn't for everyone, but for some, it is a reasonable concern.

In my opinion, if you are concerned you won't be awake enough to work a simple pump action, you should be concerned of your target selection and the awareness of that behind your target.

That is definitely an important consideration.

My concern isn't operating a pump--it's the added weight and length (pulling up from floor beside the bed) and expense that's not relevant to what I'm looking for.  I'm not concerned about mental alertness upon waking.  I'm concerned about rapidly getting a good, consistent grip on my weapon, if that were to be a handgun.

I don't know whether it's this way for everyone, but I've found that even slight deviations in my grip can lead to large offsets in point of impact with handguns I've shot.  I haven't seen nearly as large an effect for shotguns, and I've rapidly brought a 12-gauge up and fired accurately before.  From what I've read, a single shot from a 12-gauge at close range is often enough to end a confrontation, either by disabling an assailant, or causing flight to intruders.  Even just a delay to allow me to grab and properly grip my handgun would be useful.
+++++++++

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2017, 02:23:11 pm »
My bedside setup with the best of both worlds. In the bedside holster a XDM .45 that I put back in the safe when I wake up, and stored in the bedside Gunvault a  M&P Pro with tritium night sights and a Rail Master Pro Laser Sight & Tactical Light.  And notice the Tac Light always handy.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:19:31 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 03:58:30 pm »
My bedside setup with the best of both worlds. In the bedside holster a XDM .45 that I put back in the safe when I wake up, and stored in the bedside Gunvault a  M&P Pro with tritium night sights and a Rail Master Pro Laser Sight & Tactical Light.  And notice the Tac Light always handy.

@NavyCanDo  I like that setup a lot.

Is that a homemade holster setup?  Metal plate?
+++++++++

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 06:32:15 pm »
@NavyCanDo  I like that setup a lot.

Is that a homemade holster setup?  Metal plate?

No not homemade, except for the extra rubber section I glued to the bottom because the bed frame would contact the barrel if the bed was bouncing -  errrrrrrr I mean raising and lowering in fragmental segments of time and measurable distance enough to cause metal on metal contact for a duration of up to 5 60 minutes.

The Mattress Holster holder is the Bedside Backup from Crossbreed, as well as the interchangeable holsters. I have a holster for my XDm, XDs, and my M&P Pro whatever I decide I want next to me.   It will not support a light/laser set up though, so that one goes in the gunvault which right now is on the M&P, my most accurate shooter.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/category/modular-systems
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:31:22 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2017, 02:51:19 pm »
No not homemade, except for the extra rubber section I glued to the bottom because the bed frame would contact the barrel if the bed was bouncing -  errrrrrrr I mean raising and lowering in fragmental segments of time and measurable distance enough to cause metal on metal contact for a duration of up to 5 60 minutes.

:silly:

The Mattress Holster holder is the Bedside Backup from Crossbreed, as well as the interchangeable holsters. I have a holster for my XDm, XDs, and my M&P Pro whatever I decide I want next to me.   It will not support a light/laser set up though, so that one goes in the gunvault which right now is on the M&P, my most accurate shooter.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/category/modular-systems

Thanks!
+++++++++