Author Topic: Scottish independence: Nicola Sturgeon to seek second referendum  (Read 445 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Scottish independence: Nicola Sturgeon to seek second referendum
    13 March 2017
Media captionNicola Sturgeon says a second independence referendum will be called between autumn 2018 and spring 2019

Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed she will ask for permission to hold a second referendum on Scottish independence.

Ms Sturgeon said she wanted a vote to be held between the autumn of 2018 and the spring of the following year.

That would coincide with the expected conclusion of the UK's Brexit negotiations.

The Scottish first minister said the move was needed to protect Scottish interests in the wake of the UK voting to leave the EU.

Continued: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-39255181

I certainly do not know the situation well; but I've heard, if Brexit succeeded, then Scotland would bolt from the UK.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Scottish independence: Nicola Sturgeon to seek second referendum
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 08:58:49 am »
She can ask, no harm in that. She doesn't have a particularly strong case - referendums are rare and two referendums on the same subject should be held at least 10 years apart (it's the bugger of not having a written constitution - everything is precedent and tradition). Still, Herself might be in a good mood that day.  :shrug:

My personal opinion - they want to leave, let them. They're a horrible drain on the rest of the UK. Mind, if they think they're keeping the North Sea oilfields, they're a wee bit mistaken - that will be the price for leaving.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink