Author Topic: How your dog could be ruining your credit score  (Read 1965 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
How your dog could be ruining your credit score
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:33:16 pm »
After her family's shiba inu died of cancer, Dawn Sabins decided to surprise her 7-year-old son with a new puppy. In March 2015, she dropped into a San Diego-area pet store looking for an English bulldog. She walked out with a golden retriever.

That wasn't so strange, even if $2,400 was more than she'd intended to spend. (There's a reason pet stores put puppies in the window.) The odd part came a few weeks later, when she and her husband were going over their credit reports and saw a $5,800 charge from a company they'd never heard of.

The Sabins had bought their new dog, Tucker, with financing offered at the pet store through a company called Wags Lending, which assigned the contract to an Oceanside, California-based firm that collects on consumer debt. But when Dawn tracked down a customer service rep at that firm, Monterey Financial Services Inc., she learned she didn't own the dog after all.

"I asked them: 'How in the heck can I owe $5,800 when I bought the dog for $2,400?' They told me, 'You're not financing the dog, you're leasing.' 'You mean to tell me I'm renting a dog?' And they were like, 'Yeah.' "

Without quite realizing it, the Sabins had agreed to make 34 monthly lease payments of $165.06, after which they had the right to buy the dog for about two months' rent. Miss a payment, and the lender could take back the dog. If Tucker ran away or chased the proverbial fire truck all the way to doggy heaven, the Sabins would be on the hook for an early repayment charge. If they saw the lease through to the end, they would have paid the equivalent of more than 70 percent in annualized interest—nearly twice what most credit card lenders charge.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/business/article/How-your-next-dog-could-ruin-your-credit-score-10975540.php
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline roamer_1

Re: How your dog could be ruining your credit score
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:38:22 pm »
That wasn't so strange, even if $2,400 was more than she'd intended to spend.

TWENTY-FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS????

I'm in the wrong business....

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:40:17 pm »
I have a cat for lease if anyone is interest!
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:41:44 pm »
'You mean to tell me I'm renting a dog?'

Enough about Brandi Love, already.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:42:58 pm »
Take out a loan to purchase a dog?   

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:47:17 pm »
Yeah, I considered it for the Ridiculous News thread, but a combination of stupidity and avarice is too banal to get classed as ridiculous.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 09:48:21 pm »
Take out a loan to purchase a dog?

I don't think I have ever paid for a dog in my entire life.  Maybe <$100 at some point... but generally, dogs are cheap or free. Or so I thought.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 10:06:53 pm »
A good dog doesn't send you a bill.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 11:15:35 pm »
I don't think I have ever paid for a dog in my entire life.  Maybe <$100 at some point... but generally, dogs are cheap or free. Or so I thought.
I have always rescued animals, I have sometimes paid a fee to a rescue group and not felt bad about it. The fee always covered spay/neuter and first round of vaccinations with the balance being used by the rescue group for food and care of other animals. I would never go to a pet store and pay for a pure bred anything.

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 11:21:48 pm »
Some people are to stupid to have credit.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 11:24:30 pm »
I have always rescued animals, I have sometimes paid a fee to a rescue group and not felt bad about it. The fee always covered spay/neuter and first round of vaccinations with the balance being used by the rescue group for food and care of other animals. I would never go to a pet store and pay for a pure bred anything.

Yep... Though I think I have only had one spayed/neutered... that bitch had a medical problem requiring it... Most of mine came out of a box of puppies in the parking lot of K-Mart or some such, or from a friend whose dog had pups...

What a strange world some folks live in...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:25:04 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 12:06:49 am »
Yeah. It's a little hard to know who to blame. She really must be incredibly financially illiterate.

Rescue is the only way to go. I'm 90% sure that if she had the dog tested, she would find that is a mixed breed anyway, like you would find at the pound.

The pet business is thoroughly corrupt, and rife with scams of all kinds.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:07:53 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 12:10:15 am »
Sometimes I think financial illiteracy is the root problem in the us.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 02:10:03 am »
I don't mind a cheap dog, but I'm leery of a free one. Last 'free' one I had cost over a grand at the vet, a few hundred in 'animal at large fines', and chewed the backs off an entire encyclopedia, among other things. I was in town back then and found her a home in the country where she could run free and chew 'most anything.. She and the new owners were apparently happy with that. The next fine I was looking at for her bolting out the door was $600 (it doubled with each offense over 12 months), and at the time, I just couldn't risk it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 02:11:50 am »
Sometimes I think financial illiteracy is the root problem in the us.
There is plenty of it out there. If I wasn't principled, I could easily be rich. Instead I show youngsters how to save money.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 02:29:22 am »
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 02:40:17 am »
I don't mind a cheap dog, but I'm leery of a free one. Last 'free' one I had cost over a grand at the vet, a few hundred in 'animal at large fines', and chewed the backs off an entire encyclopedia, among other things. I was in town back then and found her a home in the country where she could run free and chew 'most anything.. She and the new owners were apparently happy with that. The next fine I was looking at for her bolting out the door was $600 (it doubled with each offense over 12 months), and at the time, I just couldn't risk it.

Shrugs... It's more rural than that where I am... Some of the best dogs I ever had were free... what I have had most are Malamute/Shepherd/Wolf crosses, and every dang one of those were free... Just have to know the right folks and ask for a pup next time they're coming round...

Doesn't matter much that a dog roams so long as he's not chasing/running/killing stock or deer... or sucking eggs and killing chickens... in which case, he won't be coming home anyhow.

Still and all, I've got me a cow dog now (Ozzie shepherd... first ever little dog), because I didn't figure I had the stones to keep a malamute walked out... That's five miles a day that I don't have in me right now... And what with them not running their asses off is when they would turn to their own kind of mischief... like running down stock and whatnot. That would not be responsible to my neighbors or the dog.

Chewy's flat out happy in a 1/2 acre of fenced yard, and I can tucker him clean out just going down to the ranch for chores. Send him off to fetch up the horses to feed them and that's about all the working he needs.  :shrug:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 11:43:58 am »
Shrugs... It's more rural than that where I am... Some of the best dogs I ever had were free... what I have had most are Malamute/Shepherd/Wolf crosses, and every dang one of those were free... Just have to know the right folks and ask for a pup next time they're coming round...

Doesn't matter much that a dog roams so long as he's not chasing/running/killing stock or deer... or sucking eggs and killing chickens... in which case, he won't be coming home anyhow.

Still and all, I've got me a cow dog now (Ozzie shepherd... first ever little dog), because I didn't figure I had the stones to keep a malamute walked out... That's five miles a day that I don't have in me right now... And what with them not running their asses off is when they would turn to their own kind of mischief... like running down stock and whatnot. That would not be responsible to my neighbors or the dog.

Chewy's flat out happy in a 1/2 acre of fenced yard, and I can tucker him clean out just going down to the ranch for chores. Send him off to fetch up the horses to feed them and that's about all the working he needs.  :shrug:

Behavioral problems are pretty much always the fault of the owner be it abuse, neglect or simply not understanding the needs or becoming familiar with the dog.

One of my Jack Russell rescues had been severely abused and starved. He never got over his viciousness and he would bite strangers and even me if I behaved the wrong way. He would bite me if I got my face near his which was another reason I kept him away from children and warned adults. That's not to say that he wasn't a good dog, he was but a matter of dealing with him appropriately. I took him on knowing he was a problem dog and built trust over months. He became a very loving dog toward me. He would come up and lick my face or curl up next to me and go to sleep etc. He would still bite if I got in his face or messed with his feet.

Now Bowser is a whole different animal. I got him as a year old pup from some people who treated him well but just didn't have the time or space for him. He's never been hurt, hungry or cold and is loving with pretty much everybody. The only issue with him is that he tries to grab stranger's hands and pull them down to greet him properly. People who know dogs "get it" and will squat down for a proper greeting. He trusts me so much that he'll let me bite his ears without growling, biting, pulling away or anything.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 12:41:49 pm »
Behavioral problems are pretty much always the fault of the owner be it abuse, neglect or simply not understanding the needs or becoming familiar with the dog.

One of my Jack Russell rescues had been severely abused and starved. He never got over his viciousness and he would bite strangers and even me if I behaved the wrong way. He would bite me if I got my face near his which was another reason I kept him away from children and warned adults. That's not to say that he wasn't a good dog, he was but a matter of dealing with him appropriately. I took him on knowing he was a problem dog and built trust over months. He became a very loving dog toward me. He would come up and lick my face or curl up next to me and go to sleep etc. He would still bite if I got in his face or messed with his feet.

Now Bowser is a whole different animal. I got him as a year old pup from some people who treated him well but just didn't have the time or space for him. He's never been hurt, hungry or cold and is loving with pretty much everybody. The only issue with him is that he tries to grab stranger's hands and pull them down to greet him properly. People who know dogs "get it" and will squat down for a proper greeting. He trusts me so much that he'll let me bite his ears without growling, biting, pulling away or anything.
Nah. Someone gave me an older puppy (left it on my doorstep), and it wanted to run. I didn't live where it could at the time (I was stuck in town). I did find it a home where it could get out and run, and everyone was happier. That simple. It wasn't running away, just running. She was a happy and loving dog, but if someone opened the front door, she was gone like a rifle bullet.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 01:02:14 pm »
Nah. Someone gave me an older puppy (left it on my doorstep), and it wanted to run. I didn't live where it could at the time (I was stuck in town). I did find it a home where it could get out and run, and everyone was happier. That simple. It wasn't running away, just running. She was a happy and loving dog, but if someone opened the front door, she was gone like a rifle bullet.

You didn't have the time and space for it so you gave it to someone who did. Best thing you could do.

Young dogs like to explore. Bowser used to go around or under the fence if I didn't watch him. He didn't go far, just to visit the neighbors when they were out in the yard. Now that he's older he doesn't try to leave the yard. A while back he got out of the house while I was away all day. When I got home he was here waiting in the yard. I checked for prints in the snow around the perimeter and he didn't leave the yard.