Author Topic: Bringing the bootleggers back to life: Colorized photographs from the Prohibition Era show the lengths Americans went to keep their booze  (Read 1414 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Bringing the bootleggers back to life: Colorized photographs from the Prohibition Era show the lengths Americans went to keep their booze

From 1920 to 1933, the US government issued a nationwide constitutional ban on alcohol
    The ban increased the illegal production and sale of liquor and the proliferation of speakeasies
    In 1933, Congress repealed the 18th Amendment and brought the Prohibition Era to a close
    A collection of photographs from the time were colorized by British expert Tom Marshall
    Marshall's images show 'Prohibition agents' and people taking part in illicit alcohol consumption

By Kelly Mclaughlin For Mailonline
Published: 06:14 EDT, 13 March 2017 | Updated: 09:24 EDT, 13 March 2017

Scenes from the Prohibition Era have been dramatically brought back to life in a series of newly colorized photographs.

From 1920 to 1933, the US government issued a nationwide constitutional ban on the production, importation, transportation and sale of alcoholic beverages.

The ban increased the illegal production and sale of liquor, known as bootlegging, and the proliferation of speakeasies, or illegal drinking locations.

In 1933, Congress repealed the 18th Amendment and brought the Prohibition Era to a close.

From 1920 to 1933, the US government issued a nationwide constitutional ban on the production, importation, transportation and sale of alcoholic beverages. Now, British colorization expert Tom Marshall, has taken originally black-and-white photos from the era and brought them back to life in full color. Pictured above, New York City Deputy Police Commissioner John A. Leach, right, watching agents pour liquor into sewer following a raid during the height of prohibition

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4308310/Photos-Prohibition-bring-bootleggers-life.html#ixzz4bDP5NTYO
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline mountaineer

Very interesting! My husband had relatives who made and sold illegal beverages back then, including a grandfather. They all were Serbian immigrants from Austria-Hungary (Croatia) who settled in an Ohio Valley steel town.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Very interesting! My husband had relatives who made and sold illegal beverages back then, including a grandfather. They all were Serbian immigrants from Austria-Hungary (Croatia) who settled in an Ohio Valley steel town.
Yeah, I know of an irish Catholic guy that was big into that, he bought his kids a presidency and senate seat with the profits.

Offline mountaineer

Yeah, I know of an irish Catholic guy that was big into that, he bought his kids a presidency and senate seat with the profits.
Papa Joe made a heck of a lot more money at it than my husband's relatives, I'm sure.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

My great grandfather was a diver who worked for the purple gang. They used to hide booze on the hulls of boats crossing the Detroit river and my great grandfather retrieved it.

geronl

Offline mountaineer

Color photos are more vivid and true to life. I like seeing the colorized scenes.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline musiclady

Fascinating.

Some of those women fighting against Prohibition look like they belong in the WCTU.  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.