Author Topic: US Marines Deploy to Syria as Agreement on Raqqa Assault Eludes Allies  (Read 998 times)

rangerrebew

US Marines Deploy to Syria as Agreement on Raqqa Assault Eludes Allies
March 09, 2017 11:24 AM

Jamie Dettmer

A contingent of U.S. Marines has arrived in northeast Syria to provide artillery support for local forces in an upcoming assault on Raqqa, the defacto capital of the Islamic State terror group, U.S. officials said.

But there appears to be no final agreement yet between Washington and Ankara on the disposition of the Raqqa attack force — whether U.S.-backed Kurdish militiamen or Turkish-led Syrian rebels will be in the vanguard to oust an estimated 4,000 jihadists entrenched in the city.

As the Marines arrived, Turkey’s foreign minister Thursday warned Turkish-led forces will attack U.S.-backed militiamen from the Kurdish People’s Protection Units, or YPG, if they don’t leave a key town in northern Syria.

http://www.voanews.com/a/us-marines-deploy-as-agreement-on-raqqa-assault-eludes-allies/3757021.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 11:58:35 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I haven't forgotten the widespread conservative opposition to putting troops on the ground in Syria.

Funny how quiet they are now.

Cowards

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Good move by Trump,

I shake my head at anyone who doesn't see the difference between fighting Assad, the established government back a few years ago and the present situation, backing up our SDF allies, mainly Kurdish soldiers to fight ISIS.

Again, I'll wager the presidential candidate whom they supposedly support believes in this action, and once again, they won't agree with him. As accurate a statement as reading a weather-vane.

Oh, well, I guess some "conservatives" would have us not fight even evils like ISIS.

And again, it is basically support of our allies.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:35:38 pm by TomSea »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
And it wasn't so long ago when we knew that the claim that we needed to get into Syria to fight terrorists was cover to go after Assad.

Anyone who believes otherwise is a lying immoral coward.

Offline TomSea

Assad is a bad character; and as far as I'm concerned, did nothing when American troops were attacked in Iraq from Jihadists camps in Syria.  His allies, the Iranians, it is solidly proved,  the Quds killed coalition and American soldiers. Yet, despite all of that, I don't think this was our battle to fight Assad. Sanction them or do something if he was gassing his own people; which I'm not sure was totally proven.

Besides all of that, some people say we helped ISIS or Al Qaeda, roll out that photo of McCain; maybe some of our weapons did get to them.

Offline montanajoe

I haven't forgotten the widespread conservative opposition to putting troops on the ground in Syria.

Funny how quiet they are now.

Cowards

Yep...another instance of make America gag again...

Offline TomSea

Yep...another instance of make America gag again...

What's next? Advocating that we should not be arming the Kurds in their fight against ISIS?

If one hasn't paid attention, we have been bombing ISIS and Al Qaeda, we have killed a number of their leaders.

But I totally respect one's attitude if it is totally hands off.

As far as I can see, we have been involved to the hilt already. Yemen is different.

I suppose one may also agree with Obama's catastrophic decision to withdraw nearly all of our troops out of Iraq.

Fine. Just don't be nasty back. Poster accuses "conservatives" of being quiet. Looks like they are not being so.

Offline TomSea

And it wasn't so long ago when we knew that the claim that we needed to get into Syria to fight terrorists was cover to go after Assad.

You are good at insulting people. I'm not sure if troops were even on the table as a response to Assad's gassing his own people, bombing was. If this is so, then you really are just out to insult people without adequate back up.

Lying? Oh yeah.  **nononono*

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/08/president-obamas-red-line-what-he-actually-said-about-syria-and-chemical-weapons/

Everyone should look this up for themselves.  If troops were not on the table except for Hawks like McCain and Graham whom I don't even recall advocating for that, this is a bald faced lie.

Yeah, we were going to bomb Assad as a response and the Legislature and public didn't like the idea.

Oh, yeah, and we were saying we'd bomb Assad, so we wouldn't bomb Assad or something, this logic is so convoluted, it takes more time to straighten it out to begin with.

Offline TomSea

Well, we've been there, bombing the terrorists, no wonder such ignorance statements are made if one doesn't know anything about the scenario.

What do you expect though, if someone says we were planning to send troops there, They know Nada, Zilch.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:16:42 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

To heck with Assad, he helped kill American soldiers but he wasn't worth going to war with or bombing.

But some immoral lying cowards might defend him.

Daddy Assad, the Syrian government likely helped in the bombing of 250 Marines in Beirut.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Beirut_barracks_bombing

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:23:49 pm by TomSea »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: US Marines Deploy to Syria as Agreement on Raqqa Assault Eludes Allies
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 05:34:32 pm »
Internet Warriors, calling other people names:

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: US Marines Deploy to Syria as Agreement on Raqqa Assault Eludes Allies
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 02:02:05 am »
I suppose there are good reasons for going in to oppose isis in Syria.
I suppose there are also good reasons to stay out of the place.

It's kinda like the tar baby in Song of the South.
Mess with it, you're gonna get stuck.
You may be able to wrastle yourself free, but t'won't be easy and you'll come out the worse for it.

As far as the Mideast is concerned, with the exception of Israel and the West Bank (which -IS- part of Israel), if the whole place turns out like the images of Mosul that I've seen recently -- essentially nothing but rubble -- I couldn't care less.

Get the Christians and the Yazidis (sp?) out.
The rest of it... dust and sand, to blow away with the wind.