Author Topic: It's good news and bad news for an immigrant advocate facing deportation  (Read 308 times)

rangerrebew

It's good news and bad news for an immigrant advocate facing deportation

This story is a part of
Global Nation

PRI's The World

March 10, 2017 · 5:30 PM EST
By Tiziana Rinaldi

Migrant rights advocate Ravi Ragbir talks to his supporters in New York City before going into the federal building for a scheduled check-in with immigration authorities on March 9, 2017. “When I look out at you who has come out for me, I’m overwhelmed. This is a sea of love, this is the Katrina that is going to overtake any wall that’s going to be built,” he said. “I thank you because I know you are here for me and many others.”

Credit:

Tiziana Rinaldi/PRI

Ravi Ragbir is a popular immigrant organizer in New York City. He’s been running the New York City Sanctuary Coalition for nearly a decade, and supporting migrants who are either detained or threatened with removal.

But now his own private struggle with deportation has become a big part of his work.

On Thursday, he took a dozen people with him to a scheduled meeting with immigration agents. He came to the US as a legal permanent resident, but was ordered deported after being convicted of an aggravated felony in 2001.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-03-10/its-good-news-and-bad-news-immigrant-advocate-facing-deportation
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:47:43 am by rangerrebew »