Author Topic: The 60 vote problem has to be solved  (Read 750 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The 60 vote problem has to be solved
« on: March 10, 2017, 02:17:55 pm »
March 10, 2017
The 60 vote problem has to be solved
By Karin McQuillan

We are told that without 60 votes in the Senate, we cannot pass new health care legislation, so the only practical course is to accept the limited changes to Obamacare possible through “reconciliation.”   

Then there is the father of all lies.  We are told not to worry about how bad this bill is, there will be phase 2, and after that, phase 3 – and then President Trump will keep his promises on health care.

more
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/03/the_60_vote_problem_has_to_be_solved.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bolobaby

Re: The 60 vote problem has to be solved
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 03:55:05 pm »
The democrats didn't have a 60 vote problem when they didn't want one.

I think we need to change up the classic Bill Engvall routine when it comes to the GOP...

"Heeeeeere's your SPINE..."
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 04:03:10 pm »
 I, for one, am sick of hearing this "We don't have 60 votes" cop out!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 05:54:05 pm »
They can be part of the solution or part of the problem. Their choice.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 02:35:12 am »
It's time to get rid of the Senate filibuster, once and for all.

The Constitution specifies where supermajorities will be required in the governance of The United States.

Passing ordinary legislation in the Senate DOES NOT come under those instances.

Get rid of the filibuster.
If necessary, by way of Constitutional amendment.

I'm willing to accept a "majority rules" in the Senate, just as it's already accepted in the House. Come what may...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 11:06:19 am »
I'm willing to accept a "majority rules" in the Senate, just as it's already accepted in the House. Come what may...

So you are fine with Obamacare then. That was majority rules, after all.

The 60 vote problem is not a problem. It's a feature to be treasured and preserved. If a law is crappy enough that it can't raise 60 votes, it doesn't pass. What is wrong with fewer laws? Thought the idea was to limit government - not make it easier for the idiots in power to expand their grasp.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 11:26:13 am »

The 60 vote problem is not a problem. It's a feature to be treasured and preserved. If a law is crappy enough that it can't raise 60 votes, it doesn't pass. What is wrong with fewer laws? Thought the idea was to limit government - not make it easier for the idiots in power to expand their grasp.

If it means its hard to pass a law we do like, so be it. It will also be hard to pass a law we don't like.

Progressivism is this state of constant flux where if we don't like the current rules so we need to change them till we don't like them and need to change them again. Like Teddy Roosevelt whining about the senate not representing the people so we need to elect them by direct popular vote.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 11:31:32 am »
Exactly!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 11:45:36 am »
We drop the 60 vote rule, and as soon as the Democrats gain the power the GOP has, they will pass single payer.

Period.

And they gain back power. Don't be so stupid to think that they won't.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 02:23:58 pm »
A simple repeal of the ACA (without any replacement) can't get 50 votes, let alone 60 votes.    The filibuster isn't the problem.  It's the chaos.   America has to be weaned from the ACA.   The AHCA is a good first step -  principally for conservatives because it quickly gets rid of the mandates.   For the rest of us,  it promises health care policies we might really want to buy.   
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 02:24:47 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 01:10:03 pm »
A simple repeal of the ACA (without any replacement) can't get 50 votes, let alone 60 votes.    The filibuster isn't the problem.  It's the chaos.   America has to be weaned from the ACA.   The AHCA is a good first step -  principally for conservatives because it quickly gets rid of the mandates.   For the rest of us,  it promises health care policies we might really want to buy.   
First, a simple repeal probably could get 51 votes in the Senate under reconciliation. A replacement probably would require 60, but that's a good thing. Secondly, the Federal government has no business being involved in health insurance. The ONLY way I could see them involved is allowing interstate commerce for the sale of policies.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 02:19:50 pm »

Only problem is that it is hard to get 60 votes for a  Bill that repeals laws. I'm all for fewer laws. Ten should be about right. :laugh:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 02:34:11 pm »
We drop the 60 vote rule, and as soon as the Democrats gain the power the GOP has, they will pass single payer.

Period.

And they gain back power. Don't be so stupid to think that they won't.
Eh, they did that already without dropping the 60 vote rule, and look what we got: Single Payer.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 02:35:50 pm »
Eh, they did that already without dropping the 60 vote rule, and look what we got: Single Payer.

We don't have single payer right now. Obamacare is not single payer.