Author Topic: School Assignment Leads to Discovery of WWII Plane With Pilot’s Body Still Inside  (Read 1580 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
When 14-year-old Daniel Kristiansen was assigned a World War II project for history class, his father jokingly suggested he look for a German plane that had allegedly crashed at the family farm. Well wouldn’t you know it, he actually found the damned thing—along with the dead airman’s remains. It’s being called one of the most sensational discoveries in recent times.

Armed with metal detectors, father and son descended on the farm near Arabybro in northern Denmark. Years before, the father, Klaus, remembered his grandfather telling him that a plane had crashed there during the war, but that the plane was removed soon afterwards. The pair thought it might be fun if they could find a small bit of metal or two left over from the crash. Well, they found a lot more than that, uncovering thousands of pieces, as well as the remains of the pilot.

The metal detectors began to beep when they surveyed a patch of boggy ground, so they started to dig. Realizing they needed to dig a bit deeper, they borrowed a neighbor’s excavator. And that’s when bits of the plane began to reveal themselves.

More: http://gizmodo.com/school-assignment-leads-to-discovery-of-wwii-plane-with-1793083542
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Pretty cool.  The article has a pic of the kid kneeling next to the engine block. 

Offline Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Pretty cool.  The article has a pic of the kid kneeling next to the engine block.
Someone's son gone off to war and who never came home now may be returned to his homeland. Definitely not the average outcome of a school history project. Just wow.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Wow, what a story. Hard to imagine that a pilot and his plane remained hidden so many decades.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

Wow, what a story. Hard to imagine that a pilot and his plane remained hidden so many decades.

Hitting the ground at ~350 MPH I imagine most of the plane and pilot end up in a pretty deep hole.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:24:19 pm by skeeter »

Offline Smokin Joe

It makes you wonder how many more are out there...
One of the more famous ones....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Be_Good_(aircraft)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Happy that the pilot can be identified and finally go home.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

14-Year-Old Boy Discovers Remains of German Fighter Plane and Its Pilot
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 03:52:08 am »
14-Year-Old Boy Discovers Remains of German Fighter Plane and Its Pilot
Daniel Rom Kristiansen was learning about WWII in school when he decided to look for a lost warplane
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/14-year-old-boy-discovers-remains-german-fighter-plane-and-its-pilot-180962447
By Brigit Katz
smithsonian.com
March 8, 2017

Daniel Rom Kristiansen’s great-grandfather long maintained that a German warplane crashed onto the family’s farm in Birkelse, Denmark during WWII. Most members of the family dismissed this claim as little more than an elderly man’s tall tale. But when Daniel began studying WWII in school, he set out to find the plane. While poking around on the property, Rebecca Seales reports for the BBC, Daniel and his father recently uncovered the charred remains of a German Messerschmitt—and its pilot.

It was Daniel’s father, Klaus Kristiansen, who suggested that his son look for the fighter plane. For the most part, Klaus was kidding around; he didn’t expect to find anything.  "We went out to the field with a metal detector," Klaus told Judith Vonberg of CNN. "I hoped we might find some old plates or something for Daniel to show in school."

Dang, my computer is being a pain and I'm having trouble posting more...the interesting parts...  I recommend clicking on the link and reading.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline montanajoe

This story grates me the wrong way..

I think anyone who has lost their life in the service of their country is due respect whether their side won or lost. I read the article and it seems they are treating this more as a 14 year old kids science project than an discretion of the pilots remains which it certainly strikes me as...

Offline Suppressed

Re: 14-Year-Old Boy Discovers Remains of German Fighter Plane and Its Pilot
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 06:36:10 am »

I think anyone who has lost their life in the service of their country is due respect whether their side won or lost. I read the article and it seems they are treating this more as a 14 year old kids science project than an discretion of the pilots remains which it certainly strikes me as...

Agreed!!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

Re: 14-Year-Old Boy Discovers Remains of German Fighter Plane and Its Pilot
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 10:38:12 am »

I agree. At least the guy gets to go home.

C S Lewis