Author Topic: Bohac Files Strong Bill Package for the 85th Legislative Session  (Read 861 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
via email

Bohac Files Strong Bill Package for the 85th Legislative Session

Dear Friends, Constituents and Supporters,

As your State Representative, I am committed to listening to you. Seeking your feedback, ideas and input concerning the various opportunities and challenges facing our community and state is the most important part of my job. The west Houston residents of Spring Branch, Cy-Fair, Bear Creek and Katy that I am honored to represent deserve a strong voice and advocate that is responsive to your needs and it is my hope that, together, we may continue our work to ensure that our community and state remain strong, prosperous and free.

The 85th Session of the Texas Legislature began in January and runs through the end of May, and my office has been hard at work serving the needs of District 138 and our great state. I’ve always believed that a good leader is a good listener. That’s why, based on district-wide constituent feedback, I have filed a package of bills that endeavor to make our community and our state the best place to live, work and raise a family.

The Bohac Bill Package

Here are some of the bills I have authored or joint-authored this session in response to your feedback:

HB 286
Relating to the repeal of provisions requiring school districts to reduce their wealth per student to the equalized wealth level.
Would repeal the current “Robin Hood” plan for funding public education and end the diversion of our local tax dollars to other school districts.

HB 586
Relating to the limitation on increases in the appraised value of a residence homestead for ad valorem taxation.
Would lower the current 10 percent cap on the amount the appraisal value of a residence homestead is allowed to increase each year to 5 percent, thereby slowing the rate of growth of property taxes.

HB 589
Relating to a sales tax exemption for certain items sold during a limited period.
Would double the maximum dollar amount of items that are eligible for the annual Sales Tax Holiday and add electronic devices like tablets and laptops that are critical to today’s classroom to the sales tax exemption.

HB 726
Relating to the mandatory removal of public school students from classrooms following certain conduct.
Would remove students who assault teachers or public school employees from the classroom and place them in a disciplinary alternative education program.

HB 729
Relating to instruction in positive character traits in public schools.
Would require that positive character traits be integrated into the essential knowledge and skills adopted for kindergarten through grade 12, including courage, trustworthiness, integrity, respect and courtesy, personal responsibility, caring, good citizenship and gratitude.

HB 731
Relating to creating the offense of intimidation by a member of a criminal street gang.
Would create an avenue to hold accountable all known gang members present, not just an individual perpetrator, during any offense against a person or property.

HB 1109
Relating to the enforcement by certain governmental entities of state and federal laws governing immigration.
Would effectively end “Sanctuary City” polices in Texas and require local municipalities to enforce the law.

HB 1184
Relating to an insurance premium tax credit for contributions made to certain educational assistance organizations.
Would create an educational assistance Tax Credit Scholarship program based on financial and academic needs to provide greater choice for parents. This bill does not require an appropriation of state revenue.

HB 1473
Relating to an exemption from ad valorem taxation of the total appraised value of the residence homesteads of certain elderly persons and their surviving spouses.
Would exempt anyone eighty years old or over from all property taxes if they’ve owned their home for at least ten years.

HB 1687
Relating to an agreement between parents and classroom teachers of public school students.
Would require an agreement to be signed by teachers, parents and students acknowledging the responsibilities of each involved in the education of the student.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Bohac Files Strong Bill Package for the 85th Legislative Session
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 06:24:35 pm »
HB 731
Relating to creating the offense of intimidation by a member of a criminal street gang.
Would create an avenue to hold accountable all known gang members present, not just an individual perpetrator, during any offense against a person or property.

I like 731. It's never just "me" doing the threatening with that bunch, the pack standing around is part of the threat. If they can all get gigged, maybe they will be more self-policing. (one can dream)
But suddenly being part of the gang can be a liability and not necessarily perceived as an asset on the street.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:25:05 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 06:48:49 pm »
I like 731. It's never just "me" doing the threatening with that bunch, the pack standing around is part of the threat. If they can all get gigged, maybe they will be more self-policing. (one can dream)
But suddenly being part of the gang can be a liability and not necessarily perceived as an asset on the street.

There's going to be a parent/teacher war over this one when parents find out what their little angels are being taught in school.

"HB 729
Would require that positive character traits be integrated into the essential knowledge and skills adopted for kindergarten through grade 12, including courage, trustworthiness, integrity, respect and courtesy, personal responsibility, caring, good citizenship and gratitude."

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 07:27:35 pm »
There's going to be a parent/teacher war over this one when parents find out what their little angels are being taught in school.

"HB 729
Would require that positive character traits be integrated into the essential knowledge and skills adopted for kindergarten through grade 12, including courage, trustworthiness, integrity, respect and courtesy, personal responsibility, caring, good citizenship and gratitude."

I think there might be some differences of opinion over what constitutes "courage", etc. Any more, for too many teachers, "courage" isn't squaring off against the playground bully, it's wearing the wrong clothes to school and wanting to use the other restroom.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis